Windows 10: How Do I Know Microsoft Password Requests from Phishing?

Discus and support How Do I Know Microsoft Password Requests from Phishing? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Despite having an option set to not ask me for passwords, and not having needed one in years, I am now seeing screens pop up demanding that I enter... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by semiliterate2737, Nov 28, 2020.

1. How Do I Know Microsoft Password Requests from Phishing?

Despite having an option set to not ask me for passwords, and not having needed one in years, I am now seeing screens pop up demanding that I enter multiple different passwords and provide new ones.

How can I identify whether these are phishing or Windows 10? Obviously I can't enter my password, meaning my laptop is now useless - unless there's a reliable way to verify these are authentically Windows, I'm going to have to reformat and start using an alternative oS, which I don't want to do.

:)

semiliterate2737, Nov 28, 2020

2. phishing scam?

Hi Marie,

There are different types of Phishing scam, and the one that you received might be probably a
    "Deceptive Phishing" or "System Reconfiguration Attacks". For you to prevent receiving a phishing email and to be more aware about scams, we suggest that you report it by following the steps on this
    link. There are tips as well on the said link on how to determine a phishing email.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Nov 28, 2020
  3. Microsoft fixes Internet Explorer 7 phishing shield

Internet Explorer 7 was designed with security in mind. While there have been several flaws reported in the browser, Microsoft has so far been very good with patching them. When they discovered that Internet Explorer 7's phishing shield can get bogged down very quickly when viewing multiple web pages at once (or just a web page with a lot of content), Microsoft worked hard to find a fix. The problem lied in the way the phishing filter checks for bad sites. Instead of checking whether a site is on a pre-downloaded "naughty list" like Firefox 2, Internet Explorer 7 asks Microsoft whether or not a site is good before loading it. A quick optimization patch was not included in the most recent "Patch Tuesday", but you can still get it here.

Source: CNET

zekrahminator, Nov 28, 2020
  4. How Do I Know Microsoft Password Requests from Phishing?

Beware Phishing attempt on Steam!!

Beware a chat request from someone on Steam posing as an Admin with the name "Admin".

This person is phishing for your login information.

They claim you need to update SteamGuard within 5 hours or your account will be disconnected or you may also begin seeing bans. There is a fake Steam Site link in the message.

Just to be safe i changed my Steam Password. I have also reported the user for social engineering and phishing.

Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

How Do I Know Microsoft Password Requests from Phishing?

1. How Do I Know Microsoft Password Requests from Phishing? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Password Requests

2. How do I delete my microsoft account from my computer, however I do not know the password.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete my microsoft account from my computer, however I do not know the password.: Help! I am unable to delete my account! I cannot remember my password, help! I no longer have access to this email, and want to remove the sign in from my account so I can use my new email as the admin....
  3. how do I know that an email from Microsoft is genuine?

how do I know that an email from Microsoft is genuine?: Hi everyoneI keep getting emails from Microsoft telling me someone has tried to sign-in to my hotmail account, asking me to report whoever it is, but when I click the link to reply: the reply email address is at *** Email address is removed for privacy *** microsoft email...
  4. how do I know that an email from Microsoft is genuine?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do I know that an email from Microsoft is genuine?: Hi everyoneI keep getting emails from Microsoft telling me someone has tried to sign-in to my hotmail account, asking me to report whoever it is, but when I click the link to reply: the reply email address is at *** Email address is removed for privacy *** microsoft email...
  5. how do I know that an email from Microsoft is genuine?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. how do I report phishing spam emails from microsoft?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do I report phishing spam emails from microsoft?: how do I report phishing emails from microsoft ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-report-phishing-spam-emails-from/1d031a08-0020-4159-8f69-c214234695cb
  7. how do I report phishing spam emails from microsoft?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I report phishing spam emails from microsoft?: how do I report phishing emails from microsoft ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-report-phishing-spam-emails-from/1d031a08-0020-4159-8f69-c214234695cb
  8. how do I report phishing spam emails from microsoft?

9. I know my Microsoft account password but I do not know Windows account password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I know my Microsoft account password but I do not know Windows account password: Hi, I forgot my Windows password. However, I know my Microsoft account password. When I try to recover my Windows password, it tells me "You need the Internet for this." Now I have moved to a new apartment, so Windows cannot recognize my new Internet connection settings....
  10. how do i remove a password from a standard account if i don't know the password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how do i remove a password from a standard account if i don't know the password: how do i remove a password from a standard user account if i don't know the password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-a-password-from-a-standard-account/c8f4bea3-bec2-4176-9906-3c16a1f88752"