Windows 10: How do I know what to keep before resetting?

Discus and support How do I know what to keep before resetting? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. because of certain circumstances, I need to do a Windows reset as fast as possible. I want to back up only files that are not apps, and that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AinsleyBoy, Jul 9, 2020.

1. How do I know what to keep before resetting?

Hello. because of certain circumstances, I need to do a Windows reset as fast as possible.

I want to back up only files that are not apps, and that will not be re-installed. I think...

the thing is I don't quite know what I want to back up and where to find it. if I make a list of all the things I want to back up I will probably forget something, and just doing a full back-up as a just-in-case is not an option because of limited disk space.

for now, what I can say I want to back-up is:

Game saves

desktop, images, docs, videos

but I am not sure if I want to back up other things I might've forgotten, or where to find my game saves...

and so I am a bit lost here.

help?

:)

AinsleyBoy, Jul 9, 2020
  2. S_and_S Win User

What do I need to know before resetting?

"What do I need to know before resetting?"

That really depends on how much your computer matters to you. Seriously, not everyone regards their computer the same way.

This list is for someone who places enormous value on their computer and wants to get everything done right and exactly the way they want on the first try.

1- Decide what type of reset you want to do:

• Upgrade or clean install?
    • Reset from within Windows or with the ISO?
    • 'Keep my files' or 'erase everything'?
    • Microsoft reset or factory reset?

2- Having chosen what type of reset to perform, read about that type of reset on the internet. Learn how it's done and what will happen to your computer along the way. Your goal is always 'no surprises.'

3- Prepare a step-by-step action plan. Know what decisions you will have to make and what questions you will be asked, and prepare accordingly.

4- Backup all your personal files - anything that you don't want to lose.

5- Obtain installers for all hardware drivers, and know in which order the drivers should be installed.

6- Obtain installers for all installed software (that you obtained outside Microsoft Store.) Store your installers (hardware and software) on a USB flash drive. Include registration information as needed (e.g., license keys, registration data, installation
    instructions.)

7- Determine if any of your software needs to be de-registered prior to being reinstalled.

8- Ask other users of your computer [on the manufacturer's community forum] about their experiences with resetting, to glean what advice and tips you can.

9- Make an image backup of your computer before you commence your reset.

10- Detach all peripherals from your computer aside from a monitor, mouse and keyboard. Use a simple mouse and keyboard attached to your computer with USB cables. Note: An internet connection is not required to install Windows (and you're better off without
    one.)

Have a pen and paper ready and/or your mobile phone to capture any error messages or problems you might encounter (but you probably won't.)

Note about activation: If you are reinstalling or clean installing on the same computer (and you haven't changed the motherboard) your computer is still activated. A Windows 10 PC is activated for life as long as you haven't changed the motherboard.

Optional: Pour yourself a light Chardonnay.

S_and_S, Jul 9, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How do I install windows 10 without harming my windows 7?

Here's what I suggest you to do:
    1. From Windows 7, download & Install Macrium Reflect Free. Connect one of your new 500GB HD and clone your current Windows 7 to it. Follow step 1,2,3 from the screen shot:

How do I know what to keep before resetting? [​IMG]

1. Disconnect your current Windows 7 then boot up with the new cloned copy of Windows 7
    2. Upgrade it to Windows 10 so it will be fully activated.
    3. If you decide to keep Windows 10 then do a fresh install of Windows 10. If not, disconnect the 500GB HD containing Windows 10 then re-connect your Windows 7
    4. You are back to where it was before.

topgundcp, Jul 9, 2020
  4. wolf2009 Win User

How do I know what to keep before resetting?

What to do in Ubuntu ?

I'm new to this Linux and its variants.

For the first time I'm stepping out of coziness of Windows . What do you guys use Linux for ?

Also I'm in college, will be doing Computer Science Engineering (Programming) . Anything to learn you guys can suggest ?

Already know a bit of C++, Photoshop.

wolf2009, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

How do I know what to keep before resetting?

1. How do I know what to keep before resetting? - Similar Threads - keep before resetting

2. what do I do know?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what do I do know?: what should I do if I contacted them and they added network security to my computer and I sent them a check for $641.00 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-do-i-do-know/cb785e3e-38e3-46fa-8cae-2cba037b5478
  3. what do I do know?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what do I do know?: what should I do if I contacted them and they added network security to my computer and I sent them a check for $641.00 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-do-i-do-know/cb785e3e-38e3-46fa-8cae-2cba037b5478
  4. what do I do know?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. i dont know what to do i keep getting bsod

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i dont know what to do i keep getting bsod: SourceWindowsSummaryShut down unexpectedlyDate‎3/‎1/‎2024 2:14 AMStatusNot reportedProblem signatureProblem Event Name: BlueScreenCode: 7eParameter 1: ffffffffc000001dParameter 2: fffff80559455a6dParameter 3: ffffb60288b9f168Parameter 4: ffff928140de1900OS version:...
  6. i dont know what to do i keep getting bsod

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i dont know what to do i keep getting bsod: SourceWindowsSummaryShut down unexpectedlyDate‎3/‎1/‎2024 2:14 AMStatusNot reportedProblem signatureProblem Event Name: BlueScreenCode: 7eParameter 1: ffffffffc000001dParameter 2: fffff80559455a6dParameter 3: ffffb60288b9f168Parameter 4: ffff928140de1900OS version:...
  7. how do i restore to a point before a factory reset?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i restore to a point before a factory reset?: i need to see if i can go back and copy what was on my sticky notes. i selected the option to retain all my data but the sticky notes were erased....
  8. how do i restore to a point before a factory reset?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i restore to a point before a factory reset?: i need to see if i can go back and copy what was on my sticky notes. i selected the option to retain all my data but the sticky notes were erased....
  9. What do I need to know before resetting?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What do I need to know before resetting?: My W10 is running very slow. I tried all official suggestions and suggestions in threads that did not fix it. A reset seems to be my last option. Do I need to have an activation code and do I need installation media? Is there anything else I need to know that I'm not asking?...
  10. how do i know what to delete

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do i know what to delete: what programs do I delete when its comes to malware n antivirus programs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_start-windows_other/how-do-i-know-what-to-delete/43ca02ad-c970-4e74-8bca-cf22f0dea7f7