Windows 10: How do I know which Windows Services are safe to disable?

Discus and support How do I know which Windows Services are safe to disable? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; How do I know which Windows Services are safe to disable?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HelpMeIfUCanPls, Jan 16, 2021.

1. How do I know which Windows Services are safe to disable?

HelpMeIfUCanPls, Jan 16, 2021

2. Is it safe to disable service Server?

Thanks for sharing!

However I was rather interested in that service that has display name Server and service name LanmanServer. I wanted to know if it is safe to disable it and if I do disable it, what else would break that I might not expect to break? I also was curious to know that online lists of services that are safe to disable usually dont mention it, and tutorials on dsabling network shares also usually dont mention that service. That made me ask if there was some good reason for that?

MakeW10Great, Jan 16, 2021
  3. omidsolo Win User
    Advise on disabling services

I just want to know which ones are not safe and must not be disabled, I must disable AJRouter when I don't use their service, Auto Time Zone Updater when absolutely not needed, BitLocker Drive Encryption, when never use it, etc...
    I just want from my list, remove the ones that makes problems.
    For example, which ones from my list disable WIFI or VPN services?
    Thanks,

omidsolo, Jan 16, 2021
  4. LMiller7 Win User

How do I know which Windows Services are safe to disable?

Advise on disabling services

Why do you wish to disable system services?

The problem is that there are many services on your list that may cause problems if disabled. Nobody can know for certain which ones they are. It would take a long time to go through the list to make even an educated guess about each service. And that guess may be wrong. Microsoft does not publish a full description of what each service does. A service may be safe to disable today but may cause problems after the next Windows update, or after the next application you install, or after the next update to an application. There will likely be no obvious relationship with the problem to the disabled service, or even that the problem had anything to do with a service at all. Most applications that rely on a service will simply fail if it is not running with no hint of the cause.

LMiller7, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

How do I know which Windows Services are safe to disable?

1. How do I know which Windows Services are safe to disable? - Similar Threads - Services are safe

2. How to know which service belongs to which app? or which service is used by which app?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to know which service belongs to which app? or which service is used by which app?: I wanted to stop unwanted services from my task manager but want to know that which service is used by which app because I don't want to end a service which is important or I want that service....
  3. How to know which service belongs to which app? or which service is used by which app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to know which service belongs to which app? or which service is used by which app?: I wanted to stop unwanted services from my task manager but want to know that which service is used by which app because I don't want to end a service which is important or I want that service....
  4. How to know which service belongs to which app? or which service is used by which app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I know which hardware is misbehaving?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I know which hardware is misbehaving?: Hello, For the longest time now we have been suffering from countless sudden BSODs. I have tried everything I can find and nothing has helped. To name a few, I have done the following: Completely reinstalled Windows Scanned RAM using MemTest 86 and MemDiag Scanned drives...
  6. Which Windows 10 Services can you safely disable?

in Windows 10 News
    Which Windows 10 Services can you safely disable?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 has many Services to make sure that the operating system functions smoothly. While it is best to leave the Service configuration at their default values, there are some performance & tweak enthusiasts who want to make their Windows [...] This post...
  7. How do I know which updates are pending

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I know which updates are pending: Win 10 Pro 1703 The other day I paused updates to prevent new big one coming through. Yesterday I unpause it to get a Defender/Antivirus update, it worked and let it download and install. I then paused updates again. However I cannot find a way to see which updates are...
  8. Which NVidia Tasks and Services are Safe to Disable

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Which NVidia Tasks and Services are Safe to Disable: I just installed a new NVidia GTX 1050 Ti GPu since the previous AMD GPU died. Which of the tasks and services below can I safely disable? I'm content to configure games manually and check manually for driver updates. Services: [img] Tasks: [img] 94982
  9. Which Windows Services Can You Safely Disable?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Which Windows Services Can You Safely Disable?: My laptop getting slow to boot so i decide to turn off some unused services maybe like print spooler, remote desktop etc, so i need your guys to help me decide this. Thanks in advance.. 60418
  10. How do I know which apps and services to start at startup in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I know which apps and services to start at startup in Win 10?: My fan is running constantly. I had thought it was the HD, but the Geek Squad at Best Buy said they thought I have too many apps and services in startup, causing the CPU to overhead and fan run nonstop. Otherwise, they thought my HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC may need cleaned of...