Windows 10: How do I limit the access or usage of applications by non-administrator account?

Discus and support How do I limit the access or usage of applications by non-administrator account? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I created a non-administrator account such as Guest account so if anyone who wants to use my computer can access it without the need of password but... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Kellypisces, Dec 15, 2018.

1. How do I limit the access or usage of applications by non-administrator account?

I created a non-administrator account such as Guest account so if anyone who wants to use my computer can access it without the need of password but how do I limit the access or usage of applications by non-administrator account?

:)

Kellypisces, Dec 15, 2018
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Dec 15, 2018
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Can't Access Administrator Account - Windows 10

Hi,

To resolve this issue, we suggest that you start your PC in safe mode. Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. For steps on how to start your PC in safe mode, refer to the following link:

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Once you are in safe mode, let's enable the built-in Administrator account on your PC. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start menu.
    • Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type net user administrator /active:yes on the command prompt, and press Enter. This command will enable the built-in Administrator account.
    • Type net user administrator password on the command prompt, and press Enter. This will change the Administrator account's password to
      password.
    • Reboot your computer, and sign in as Administrator.

Once you are signed in as Administrator, let's make your old account as Administrator. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start menu.
    • Click on Settings > Accounts > Other Users.
    • Click on your other account and click on Change account type.
    • Under Account type, select Administrator.

Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Gino Des, Dec 15, 2018
  4. How do I limit the access or usage of applications by non-administrator account?

Linking Microsoft Account to my Local Account Caused me to Lose Administrator Access

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to login to your temporary user account, enable built in administrator account and try to change the account settings.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.

• Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt.

• Type the following command and hit Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Step 2: Follow the below steps,

• Type User Accounts in the Search box from the desktop and select
      Change the User Accounts.

• Here you will be able to see all the user accounts on your computer.

• Select the User account and see if it is a Standard user account or Administrator.

• If it is standard user then, change it to Administrator.

• Now, log out from the Built-in Administrator account and try to log-in with your Administrator account.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 15, 2018
Thema:

How do I limit the access or usage of applications by non-administrator account?

1. How do I limit the access or usage of applications by non-administrator account? - Similar Threads - limit access usage

2. "It-administrator limited access"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "It-administrator limited access": Hi!One day after i got home from work, windows wouldnt open, could only see the lenovo logo and then black. I tried to diagnose, but then it went black again. Safemode - black. I decided to reset the computer since i have a ekstern harddisk that i save everything on and this...
  3. "It-administrator limited access"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "It-administrator limited access": Hi!One day after i got home from work, windows wouldnt open, could only see the lenovo logo and then black. I tried to diagnose, but then it went black again. Safemode - black. I decided to reset the computer since i have a ekstern harddisk that i save everything on and this...
  4. How do i fix , Your IT administrator has limited access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i fix , Your IT administrator has limited access: Please tell me how i can fix this . It would mean the world to me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-your-it-administrator-has-limited/9c3f5825-fa00-42b1-a599-1c6ee15e8403
  5. How do i fix , Your IT administrator has limited access

How do i fix , Your IT administrator has limited access: Please tell me how i can fix this . It would mean the world to me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-your-it-administrator-has-limited/9c3f5825-fa00-42b1-a599-1c6ee15e8403
  6. IT administrator has limited access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IT administrator has limited access: Can anybody help me solve this issue? I've tried a lot of regedit, command prompt, and gpedit stuff on youtube but couldn't fix my issue. If you know a solution that may bring back Virus & Threat Protection, please let me know and I'll try it out....
  7. IT administrator has limited access

IT administrator has limited access: Can anybody help me solve this issue? I've tried a lot of regedit, command prompt, and gpedit stuff on youtube but couldn't fix my issue. If you know a solution that may bring back Virus & Threat Protection, please let me know and I'll try it out....
  8. how do I load a non-Microsoft application

how do I load a non-Microsoft application: how do I install non-Microsoft application? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-load-a-non-microsoft-application/177d8768-e64f-45f8-8aa5-29b2b13346be
  9. IT administrator has limited access on my PC. What do I do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    IT administrator has limited access on my PC. What do I do?: I was trying to run a windows security scan when I got an error saying "IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried is not available. Contact IT helpdesk for more information." This windows 10 computer is my personal computer and I...
  10. how do I access administrator

in Windows 10 Support
    how do I access administrator: When I alter a document I received mesage to obtain administrator's aproval. How? 16391