Windows 10: How do I make a new user but with an existing user folder on a second drive?

Discus and support How do I make a new user but with an existing user folder on a second drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently found my old hard drive from my old computer and inserted it into my current computer, and I still have my old user folder on my old drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Thatmagicpanda, Feb 24, 2021.

1. How do I make a new user but with an existing user folder on a second drive?

I recently found my old hard drive from my old computer and inserted it into my current computer, and I still have my old user folder on my old drive.

Is there a way to make a new local user and map the directory to my old user folder on the second drive with the registry editor? So that when I launch the new local user, it opens up the desktop I had on my old computer?

:)

Thatmagicpanda, Feb 24, 2021

2. Setting New Location Of User Folder to another User Folder

Hi Renee,

Having an easy access to the Desktop folder can give you a convenience on opening your files. Regarding your concern about the Desktop folder that was moved to the Downloads section, we recommend that you create a new local user or administrator account to
    resolve the issue.

To create a local user or administrator account, follow the steps listed on this
    link

In addition, to move your files from the Downloads folder back to the Desktop folder, we suggest that you manually copy and paste the files to avoid any data loss.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Eileen Gal, Feb 24, 2021
  3. gs99 Win User
    User folders in root C: drive

In my new Windows 10, these folders were generated:

• Intel
    • PerfLogs
    • Program Files
    • Program Files (x86)
    • Users
    • Windows
    Is there a policy of users generating new folders in this root C: drive?

On my old W7 PC I had several folders in C:, providing a shorter path for applications.

E.g. Is there an advantage when new Windows software is installed?

4. How do I make a new user but with an existing user folder on a second drive?

New Account/User Issues

Hi,

When you create a new user account, Windows uses the Default user profile as a template to construct the files for the newly created user account. You might be experiencing issues creating new accounts due to a corrupt Default profile. To
    resolve the issue, we suggest reinstating the Default folder in the
    Users directory by following these steps:

• Open the C:\Users folder using Windows Explorer.
    • Rename the Default user profile folder to Default.OLD.
    • Download a zip of C:\Users\Default from a Windows 10 installation that doesn't have this problem.
    • Unzip the non-corrupt Default profile into C:\Users.
    • Try logging in to the new user account and check if the problem is resolved.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

How do I make a new user but with an existing user folder on a second drive?

1. How do I make a new user but with an existing user folder on a second drive? - Similar Threads - user existing user

2. Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...: I recently turned in my laptop for repair after I got a blue screen error. The error led to the laptop not being able to boot since no boot service was being detected. The repair comments state that Windows was restored to original factory settings. I set up the laptop and...
  3. Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...: I recently turned in my laptop for repair after I got a blue screen error. The error led to the laptop not being able to boot since no boot service was being detected. The repair comments state that Windows was restored to original factory settings. I set up the laptop and...
  4. Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User: I used the 'restore from backup' option from control panel on my new win11 notebookusing a backup of my old win10 laptop. A seperate User folder for the data was created by default, but no actual user profile. Trying to delete the User folder results in this error: "you need...
  5. Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User: I used the 'restore from backup' option from control panel on my new win11 notebookusing a backup of my old win10 laptop. A seperate User folder for the data was created by default, but no actual user profile. Trying to delete the User folder results in this error: "you need...
  6. How do I relocate user folder to C drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I relocate user folder to C drive?: Hi,Several times I have tried to upgrade my pc to the newest windows 10 version without success. After searching on the internet what the problem might be, I found that the problem occurs because my user profile folder is located in my D drive Windows 10 Update Fails with...
  7. New user but no user folder

New user but no user folder: I added a new admin user to windows 10 then removed a user. The new user does not have a user folder and the user that was removed is still there. Do I need to remake the user?...
  8. Cannot delete user folders for users that dont exist

Cannot delete user folders for users that dont exist: I have several folders under the USERS folder, but yet only have 2 user accounts set up. I have successfully been able to delete a few but some are refusing to delete saying they are in use, when they are not. The user account does not exist anymore on the PC and when I try...
  9. Moving user folder to new Drive

Moving user folder to new Drive: Hi I have just bought a new PC that has 2 drives never had this before. The C Drive is the SSD which is small and then it has a D Drive which is 2 TB. I wanted to move my User folders to the D drive . I thought I had done it but it hasnt worked properly. On the C drive my...
  10. Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\?: My windows 10 user name is "stan". There is a folder under the folder \user\ named \stan\. And there is a folder \stan\ at the same level as \user\. Both \stan\s contain exactly the same sub-folders and files. File Explorer shows the locations on the C: drive: \stan\...