Windows 10: How do I make a www address a desktop icon?

Discus and support How do I make a www address a desktop icon? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I'd like to have a few frequently used web pages as icons on my desktop. How do I do this in win 10? 17217 Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by lbeck, Aug 17, 2015.

1. lbeck Win User

How do I make a www address a desktop icon?

I'd like to have a few frequently used web pages as icons on my desktop. How do I do this in win 10?

:)

lbeck, Aug 17, 2015
  2. JohnH.18 Win User

How do I make a shortcut desktop icon for a program in Windows 10?

Thank you! That did it.

JohnH.18, Aug 17, 2015
  3. JohnH.18 Win User
    How do I make a shortcut desktop icon for a program in Windows 10?

I'd like to make desktop icons for programs I use a lot, such as Paint, but things have changed since the days of XP and Vista, the Windows versions I had on my old computers. Right clicking doesn't create a "Copy" option, and neither
    left nor right clicking allows me to drag the Paint heading from the start menu. Is there any way to create the icons I want in Windows 10?

JohnH.18, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

I've saved a couple using the same procedure as in Win8.1 and Win7, go to the site then grab the small icon at the left end of the URL in the Address bar and drag to either the Links/Favorites bar and/or to the Desktop. Double-clicking it opens the browser and takes me to the site. What the icon actually looks like will be determined by whether the site uses a favicon.ico file.

Berton, Aug 17, 2015
  5. What browser?
    Have you considered pinning the webpages to start menu as well?

chris1neji, Aug 17, 2015
  6. Torquemada, Aug 17, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Just do what post #2 suggested. Here's a screen shot.

How do I make a www address a desktop icon? [​IMG]

NOTE: Would work on any browser: Firefox, Chrome, IE etc...
    @lbeck: IMO, it would be better if you put them right in the browser so they are available without going to the desktop.

topgundcp, Aug 17, 2015
  8. lbeck Win User

You guys are great.

I haven't tried all the solutions, but I thought I had tried the drag/drop routine that I used since XP and it didn't work. I'm admitedly frustrated with the differences in XP, Vista (which I hated) and 7. Never tried 8. I tried the drag/drop this morning and it works. Sorry that I posted too soon without continuing to try. I got it now.

FWIW I like direct access to some programs like two email accounts w/o needing to go to my browser and finding it in favorites.

Thanks again.

lbeck, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I make a www address a desktop icon? - Similar Threads - www address desktop

2. How make a desktop icon and toolbar icon for the Desktop itself?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How make a desktop icon and toolbar icon for the Desktop itself?: Not how make a desktop icon I know how do that. How do I can an icon on my toolbar that I can click when gaming that leads directly to the desktop; that minimizes all the programs and browsers and shows only the desktop. But is on my TOOLBAR so I can get to it EASILY. ???...
  3. How make a desktop icon and toolbar icon for the Desktop itself?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How make a desktop icon and toolbar icon for the Desktop itself?: Not how make a desktop icon I know how do that. How do I can an icon on my toolbar that I can click when gaming that leads directly to the desktop; that minimizes all the programs and browsers and shows only the desktop. But is on my TOOLBAR so I can get to it EASILY. ???...
  4. How do I make the icons on my desktop smaller?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I make the icons on my desktop smaller?: So I recently unplugged my second monitor's hdmi, used a different monitor, and then plugged the original one back in. The result was the icons i had on both monitors swapped monitors, and also they're all bigger now. To get the icons back to the right monitors though I just...
  5. how do i make a good desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do i make a good desktop: i feel like my desktop has too many icons and its cluttered and i want to know how to make it look better submitted by /u/tushy444 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jgd25s/how_do_i_make_a_good_desktop/
  6. How do I reset desktop icons ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I reset desktop icons ?: Ive made custom desktop icons for different games and programs to give more of a flare. Recently made one I didn’t like and want the original back. How do I do this ? For anyone asking what app, its blender. submitted by /u/A_leaning_Tower [link] [comments]...
  7. How to make desktop icons alphabetic

How to make desktop icons alphabetic: How do I make desktop icons list alphabetical? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-desktop-icons-alphabetic/8f5adb84-b7ae-478c-9db4-3b374e8acb69
  8. personal Icons on the desktop, how do I

personal Icons on the desktop, how do I: put my own icons on the desktop . how is it done ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/personal-icons-on-the-desktop-how-do-i/7118c697-98ad-45df-8491-058d339c0324
  9. how do I put an icon on the desktop?

how do I put an icon on the desktop?: I cannot put icons on the desktop? nothing I do seems to work. There are icons already part of the operating system; I mean "new" icons from URLs...
  10. W10 Desktop randomly repositions Icons - How do I make it stop?

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Desktop randomly repositions Icons - How do I make it stop?: Hi. I have my desktop icons sorted into sections, each section for a different need; hobbies, works, or by person. Randomly after a reboot or return from sleep all the icons have been shunted to the left side and in no particular order that makes any sense. I then spend too...