Windows 10: How do I make Explorer remember last location, like Mac Finder?

Discus and support How do I make Explorer remember last location, like Mac Finder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On Macs, once you open or save a file in a location, no matter which app you switch over to, when you go to open or save in THAt one, it'll point you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tedbragg, Jul 24, 2017.

1. tedbragg Win User

How do I make Explorer remember last location, like Mac Finder?

On Macs, once you open or save a file in a location, no matter which app you switch over to, when you go to open or save in THAt one, it'll point you back to your last used folder. This saves me a LOT of time, especially when it's a deep sub-folder on a network share.

How do I make Explorer do the same? This was once possible in XP and 98se, but I cannot figure out how to enable this in 7 or 10...

:)

tedbragg, Jul 24, 2017
  2. 1215(2) Win User

File Explorer does not remember last desktop location in windows 10

File Explorer does not remember or restore a previously open window in windows 10. For example: when I click on THIS PC, file explorer opens a window to display computer contents on the left side of my desktop. If I slide the open window to the right
    side of the desktop then close it, it seems the system does not record the last location because when I click on THIS PC once again, file explorer opens a window on the left rather than the right where I had it open the last time. In previous Windows versions,
    file explorer always remembered the last location although it does remember the size of the open window. Is there a way to change this in Windows 10 or is this a bug that needs fixing?

1215(2), Jul 24, 2017
  3. rustyTNT Win User
    Uploading Files

Hi, I don't even know how to ask the question properly; but when I am on Chrome, and I upload files (for example photos to a free photo hosting site), after I have opened the first file location and selected it to upload, the computer remembers. When I
    upload the next file, it remembers where the last one was, and goes there first. This saves a lot of time going through all the file locations first.

But on internet explorer, every single time it defaults to the start of the file tree and every time, I have to wade through it to the file location that I saved the files to.

Is there a way to make IE remember where I last opened an uploaded file from? It is very annoying as a work programme only runs on IE (wont run on chrome any more due to no Silverlight support).

Thanks in advance

rustyTNT, Jul 24, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this is one reason why I use a 3rd party add-on- which offers Recent Folders and Favourite Folders in almost every relevant context - including universal apps.

The red arrows point to the Recent Folders added buttons.

How do I make Explorer remember last location, like Mac Finder? [​IMG]

Background - explorer
    Foreground - Open/Save dialogue for WPS Writer.

* = Favourites, Pin = 'on top'. (There are more options)

This program is Actual Window Manager (there are cheaper programs by Actual - basically a subset of Actual Window Manager). I got this 'free' via the Trialpay scheme.

Explorer offers

How do I make Explorer remember last location, like Mac Finder? [​IMG]

dalchina, Jul 24, 2017
Thema:

1. How do I make Explorer remember last location, like Mac Finder? - Similar Threads - Explorer remember last

2. How do I stop "Save as" window from remembering last used location?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I stop "Save as" window from remembering last used location?: Each time I use save as in a browser I use save as again and it remembers the last saved location.Just to be ultra clear: I'm NOT talking about the default download location for browers like Firefox, I'm talking about Windows Save as window always remembering the last folder...
  3. How do I stop "Save as" window from remembering last used location?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop "Save as" window from remembering last used location?: Each time I use save as in a browser I use save as again and it remembers the last saved location.Just to be ultra clear: I'm NOT talking about the default download location for browers like Firefox, I'm talking about Windows Save as window always remembering the last folder...
  4. How do I stop "Save as" window from remembering last used location?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 - Applications do not remember last size/location/layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Applications do not remember last size/location/layout: Is anyone else having this issue? I have to resize/re-snap almost every application everytime I open it as it does not remember the last closed size/location like the previous versions of Windows.The only option that I could find was enabling remember window locations based...
  6. I want File Explorer to remember the last save location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want File Explorer to remember the last save location: I want File Explorer in Windows 10 to remember the last save location directory / last used directory. This would save me many many steps every day. As I recall, Windows 7 File Explorer had this feature. Is it gone? If not, how do I access this feature?...
  7. Certain programs do not remember last window size/location

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Certain programs do not remember last window size/location: I've noticed this both at work, and on my home PC, both running Win10, but for the record, at home I'm Win10 Pro x64 1909 build 18363.1016, though I have no idea what version the work PC is on. Anyone have any insight of what might cause this (upon close and restart of...
  8. How do I make File Explorer remember my networks?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I make File Explorer remember my networks?: On my primary Windows 10 Pro PC named ANALOG-KID File Explorer always remembers the names of my network devices like my other Windows 10 Pro PC and my Synology NAS. On that other PC called DIGITAL-MAN though I always have to manually add them, but when I close File Explorer...
  9. How to make Windows 10 look like Mac

in Windows 10 News
    How to make Windows 10 look like Mac: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The macOS offers some inbuilt features that make the OS popular. The OS has been designed to make sure the creators get the maximum benefit and get their job done rather quickly. I used to admire the app launcher, but [...] This post How to make Windows 10...
  10. How Do I: enable recent folders like Mac Os Finder does? (more)

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I: enable recent folders like Mac Os Finder does? (more): Howdy, The only thing I miss on Windows coming from the Mac side, is when you save in one application, then switch over to another, and when you go to open a file the Finder points you back to where you were before. It's a simple and very effective timesaver. I didn't have...