Windows 10: How do I make File Explorer automatically sort files in a folder when I drag and drop files...

Discus and support How do I make File Explorer automatically sort files in a folder when I drag and drop files... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi everyone. Question: How do I make File Explorer automatically sort files in a folder when I drag and drop files into the folder? Example: If I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lokka30, Oct 2, 2020.

1. lokka30 Win User

How do I make File Explorer automatically sort files in a folder when I drag and drop files...

Hi everyone.

Question:

How do I make File Explorer automatically sort files in a folder when I drag and drop files into the folder?

Example:

If I download 'hello.txt', then drag and drop it from my Downloads folder into 'Folder 1', 'hello.txt' will appear at the bottom of the folder and not be sorted in alphabetical order like the rest of the items in that folder are until I refresh the folder.

Why:

In my scenario, I am downloading software which has a file version on the end of the downloaded file. When I want to delete the old software file, I have to refresh the folder and find the old version to delete it. If it automatically sorted itself, I would be able to simply delete the file above it and it'll all be done :

More Info:

I would also like to mention the same question was posted here but nobody gave an answer that fixed the issue unfortunately.

I hope I explained it enough.

Thank you :

:)

lokka30, Oct 2, 2020

2. A Program That Automatically Organizes and Renames Your Files?

sure to a search for all video files on your computer then drag and drop them into a folder and right click and hit sort by WHATEVER

Marineborn, Oct 2, 2020
  3. Lorne50 Win User
    Unable to drag and drop in file explorer

If I open file explorer with the 'This PC' folder list expanded in the left pane and a folder open in the right pane I can't drag and drop a file or a folder from anywhere in the right pane to any folder in the left pane.

If I open a second instance of file explorer I can drag anything from any folder to any other location going from one instance to the other - it fails only when dragging withing one instance of file explorer. I can also drag from one place to another within
    the right pane.

Is this a design feature in Windows 10 (if so it is stupid - I used this feature all the time in previous windows versions). If not how do I solve the problem ?

Lorne50, Oct 2, 2020
  4. cereberus Win User

How do I make File Explorer automatically sort files in a folder when I drag and drop files...

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Oct 2, 2020
Thema:

1. How do I make File Explorer automatically sort files in a folder when I drag and drop files... - Similar Threads - File Explorer automatically

2. can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11: After waking my computer I have to restart it every time to move files like my course books and papers for school. I found some troubleshooting tips online that dealt with the Task Manager, CMD Prompt, and Powershell but none of them fixed the problem. This is anytime my...
  3. Folder/File sorting in file explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Folder/File sorting in file explorer: I have changed the "view' option many times but still can't accomplish what I want. In all cases I want to view folders first, sorted alphabetically and THEN followed by files sorted alphabetically. I don't want any of that A-H Or I-S bull crap. I just want to see my folders...
  4. file explorer drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  5. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drag and drop files: i have a touch pad thing and i cant drag and drop files into a diffrent folder how do i do this please help me, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-files/834e0054-f3ba-477b-839c-d09481300874
  6. Automatic sorting files and folders cancel in Win10 Explorer.

Automatic sorting files and folders cancel in Win10 Explorer.: Is it possible to force WinExplorer to have the files in the same place when I reopen the same window when I put them in my own order before? I tried it according to this tutorial - https://windowsreport.com/disable-auto-arrange-folders-windows-10/, but it only works 50% -...
  7. Can't Drag and Drop files from File Explorer suddenly

Can't Drag and Drop files from File Explorer suddenly: I was editing a video earlier today and dragged a file from file explorer into Adobe Premiere, but then immediately after it wouldn't let me drag the same file back in when I had deleted it from the timeline I was working on. I thought it was no big deal, just went to the...
  8. How to automatically delete file after drag and drop

How to automatically delete file after drag and drop: Hi, how can I change the settings of a particular folder so that when I drag files out of it, the file will automatically delete from this folder (because it's already in the new folder and I don't need it in this one anymore? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!...
  9. How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?: Currently I can only get all folders sorted and then all files sorted. I'd like to get them to sort together. Specifically this is for my Movies drive, which has thousands of films... most are in folders, but some are just files. I searched here and elsewhere, but did not...
  10. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and drop files: [img] when dragging files in win 10 the icon is so big that u can not see where u r dragging to. Is there a way to turn this feature off ? IN THE SCREEN CAPTURE WHEN I DRAG A FILE THIS ICON GOES WITH THE DRAGGING FILE AND MAKE IT HARD TO SEE WHERE YOU ARE DROPPING IT....