Windows 10: How do I make Firefox my default browser

Discus and support How do I make Firefox my default browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; [img] I've been using Firefox for several years now and have all my folders set up so I have easy access to desired websites. Yesterday I was doing... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Fred22, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Fred22 Win User

How do I make Firefox my default browser

How do I make Firefox my default browser [​IMG]

I've been using Firefox for several years now and have all my folders set up so I have easy access to desired websites. Yesterday I was doing something (not sure what) and when I opened my browser it opened as Bing. I went to Start...Three lines at the top...Settings...Default apps. As you can see Firefox is showing up as my default browser. But it still opens as Bing. I even downloaded Firefox again and now I have 2 Firefox shortcuts on my desktop and, you guessed it, when I click on either one it goes to Bing. How can I resolve this nasty problem once and for all?

:)

Fred22, Feb 5, 2017

2. How do I make Firefox my default browser on a Windows 10 laptop

Step 5 is incorrect; when I go to choose an app, the only choices are Edge, IE, or Chrome; Firefox is not listed.

BruceEmory, Feb 5, 2017
  3. MaxB1938 Win User
    How do I make Firefox my default browser on a Windows 10 laptop

Thanks for trying Jefferson, but unfortunately your instructions bear little resemblance to the Windows 10 version on my ASUS laptop so I promptly painted myself into a corner.

MaxB1938, Feb 5, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Please explain what you mean by 'opens as Bing'. Bing is not a browser, it is a website for doing searches, just like Google or Yahoo.

Bree, Feb 5, 2017
  5. It sounds like his Home page or Startup page has been changed. Open Firefox, click options and set to what you want. Also check your search engine default in Firefox. One of the other members, Frank(something) had this last week.

There is a little popup that appears and asks to change your homepage and search engine.

Caledon Ken, Feb 5, 2017
  6. Fred22 Win User
    When I click on the FF shortcut it says "Bing". What is it that you're not understanding? I accidentally clicked on "Reset to MS recommended defaults" and that's when it changed.

Fred22, Feb 5, 2017
  7. Fred22 Win User

This is what I see when I open Firefox.

Fred22, Feb 5, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Feb 5, 2017
  9. My bad, the little popup has been appearing and if people answer wrong it makes the change.

As in Edwin's screen prints above my post, you can also click on Options, first screen up allows you to change Home page. Then down the left is the word search. Check that your preferred search engine is selected.

Lets take it down a level, people here are trying to help. Your problem description stated your default browser changed, it didn't, your Home page changed. Hence the questions.

Caledon Ken, Feb 5, 2017
  10. Fred22 Win User
    Thanks, Edwin. I did this and it worked. And to the rest who responded, please forgive me if I sounded a bit hostile...just frustrated.

Fred22, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I make Firefox my default browser - Similar Threads - Firefox default browser

2. How do I make Chrome my default browser?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I make Chrome my default browser?: how do I stop MSN automatically loading up when I connect to the Internet, I have to keep closing it and opening chrome, also when start-up my computer doesn't automatically connect to the Internet, I have to keep man,ually connecting it though I've ticked the box...
  3. how yo make firefox default browser win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how yo make firefox default browser win10: just installed firefox, how to make default browser? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-yo-make-firefox-default-browser-win10/0cb352de-384f-4417-b2f0-8525e4a60ecc
  4. I want to make Firefox my default browser on my Windws 10 Desktop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to make Firefox my default browser on my Windws 10 Desktop?: I want to make Firefox Browser my default browser for my Windows 10 Desktop. How do I make that happen? Ruth 801 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-make-firefox-my-default-browser-on-my/8a385619-81fa-4994-b5ce-31fa4f2a4366
  5. Cannot get Firefox as my default browser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot get Firefox as my default browser: I am trying to set Firefox as my default browser. When I click on default apps in settings, nothing happens. When I click on make Firefox my default browser when starting Firefox, settings opens, but that's all it does. I can access settings through start, but like I said,...
  6. Firefox not showing as default browser?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Firefox not showing as default browser?: So....I have tried everything (trust me I really have) and I've searched through numerous forums. This issue is just appallingly bad, and it seems to me that it is a deliberate attempt to force me to use browsers that Microsoft wants me to use...rather than what I CHOOSE....
  7. Make firefox as default app for "web browser"

in Browsers and Email
    Make firefox as default app for "web browser": Dear folks I was trying to change default app for " web browser" from Microsoft Edge to Firefox as per below : How to change your default browser in Windows 10 | Firefox Help I can't find Firefox as an option ? [img] Any idea how can I fix it ? Thx 101100
  8. I want Firefox as default browser

in Browsers and Email
    I want Firefox as default browser: I have tried many things and looked for tutorial but I'm still lost. I keep telling Firefox to be my default browser and it doesn't keep the settings. I keep going back to I.E. I go into Firefox and select use as my default browser and that doesn't work. I'm using...
  9. Cannot make Firefox my default browser in Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot make Firefox my default browser in Windows 10: I would not normally come whining and crying to you folks but I am not able to solve this one myself. This is a new install of Windows 10- done yesterday and Firefox was installed today. Using Firefox or Default apps in Windows 10, I cannot make Firefox the default...
  10. How do I make internet explorer the default browser in an email link?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I make internet explorer the default browser in an email link?: I went into default apps in settings and chose internet explorer. Shortcuts on the desktop and links within web pages all open with internet explorer. However when I click on a link in an email it asks me to choose a browser and lists the 3 that are on this computer. How do I...