Windows 10: How do I make Folders show in expanded view by default in Windows 10?

Discus and support How do I make Folders show in expanded view by default in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have 2 Windows 10 installs, on the 1st the Start menu is perfect as I require, the second I cannot get to match as the "folders"on the left... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by adam321, Sep 11, 2016.

1. adam321 Win User

How do I make Folders show in expanded view by default in Windows 10?

Hi,

I have 2 Windows 10 installs, on the 1st the Start menu is perfect as I require, the second I cannot get to match as the "folders"on the left remain minimised..

Basically I want to get this

How do I make Folders show in expanded view by default in Windows 10? [​IMG]

to this

All I really want is the folders to show in their expanded view by default with all apps below power, instead of having the Folders hidden more or less and the all apps list making a mess of my start menu!!

I have searched the menu screens and endlessly compared the settings but think I am missing something.

Any help would be much appreciate.

Thanks

Adam

:)

adam321, Sep 11, 2016
  2. Ralph Sta Win User

Open Folder(s) Locked in Expanded View

Hi Bill,

To better assist you, may we request a screenshot of the expanded folder for us to recreate the issue.

Can you also check if your computer is on the Tablet Mode. If so, kindly turn off the Tablet Mode. To check if Tablet Mode is enabled, kindly click the action center located on the lower part of your screen beside the time and date.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Ralph Sta, Sep 11, 2016
  3. Open Folder(s) Locked in Expanded View

My "Open Folder(s) Locked in Expanded View" (Win 10)

Have found no adjustment in 'Settings' as have in previous Versions

back to Win '98, consequently there is a need to bounce < & > between

Folders in Full Screen as I cannot Stretch/Resize either Open Window.

Any suggestions are welcome. Tnx How do I make Folders show in expanded view by default in Windows 10? :)

bill bored, Sep 11, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Hi @adam321, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

Your first pic is the current Build, the second pic is of an older Build.
    I'm afraid there's no way to change the current one to the older style.
    Quickest way to expand the collapsed list would be WinKey/Tab/Enter.

Edwin, Sep 11, 2016
  5. adam321 Win User
    Hi Edwin,

Thanks for the help, how frustrating!!

Adam

adam321, Sep 11, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    On your second newer Start click on the three horizontal lines at the top left, it expands the icons down the left to icons with their full names. Note that on the new-look Start you get to the jump list of recently used items by right-clicking on the name (eg. on Explorer).

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I make Folders show in expanded view by default in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Folders show expanded

2. How do you make Quick Access Folders expandable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you make Quick Access Folders expandable?: With this latest release of Windows 11 22H2, the left hand navigation pane on File Explorer has been changed significantly. I used to move file by dragging them from the right hand pane to the desired folder in the left hand navigation pane. Now the Document, Pictures, Videos...
  3. How do you make Quick Access Folders expandable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you make Quick Access Folders expandable?: With this latest release of Windows 11 22H2, the left hand navigation pane on File Explorer has been changed significantly. I used to move file by dragging them from the right hand pane to the desired folder in the left hand navigation pane. Now the Document, Pictures, Videos...
  4. how do I access the default-default folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I access the default-default folder?: I always struggle to find this folder, but it contains old files that I occassionally need, but I don't recall how I did it the last time that was at least a few years ago. Thanks, JS...
  5. How do you expand or collapse folders in windows

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you expand or collapse folders in windows: Basically I want to do this on windows Expand All Folders in Apple Finder | Best Mac Tips. 166290
  6. Default Folder View

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View: I want to Set a default Folder View for all folders. I get the instruction: 1. Open File Explorer by using key combination Windows Key + E and navigate to the folder you want to use as a source for view layout setting. Where is that folder? I don't care if they are General...
  7. Default Folder Views

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Folder Views: Hi, could someone explain why the default for most folders and subfolders is the Icon view and why its so hard change that view to something else permanently? For instance My Pictures, you can right click My Pictures / customize / "optimize this folder for general items"...
  8. How do I make View permanent in all folders

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I make View permanent in all folders: I keep changing to List View in Folder Options but it doesn't stay that way, nor does it set all the folders on that drive. I would prefer that all folders on my PC open in List View & I can choose Large Icons if & when I want to & have it go back to List View when I exit...
  9. How to make list view default for all folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make list view default for all folders?: I've tried the "Apply to folders" button in the options menu, but it does not work, newly opened folders still open with "details" view... :/ Is there another way to make "list" view the default setting for all the folders? thanks for the help 73262
  10. Default Folder View?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View?: Is there a way to globally change the Default Folder View? I've used Folder Options | View | Apply to Folders a few times, but it only seems to stick on folders I've opened. 9521

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to show expanded folder in window 10

2. fix expanded folders in user screen in win 10

3. how to open icons on expanded view

4. show folders in expanded view