Windows 10: How do I make function keys default, without Fn combo?

Discus and support How do I make function keys default, without Fn combo? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; How can I make function keys the default, meaning select without hitting combination Fn + F1[...F12]. My work computer defaults to the function of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/CAZelda, Sep 2, 2020.

1. How do I make function keys default, without Fn combo?

How can I make function keys the default, meaning select without hitting combination Fn + F1[...F12]. My work computer defaults to the function of the function key; while my home computer defaults to the hw settings (like hibernate, sound, brightness, etc.). I use plain old function keys for Word and Excel and having to do the combo key strokes is killing me.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/CAZelda
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/CAZelda, Sep 2, 2020

2. FN key always on

Are you sure it is not a mechanical issue with the key's switch?

Check also the notebook's "Accessibility" features. These make the Fn key a "sticky" key so folks with disabilities don't have to press the Fn key and another key simultaneously. This may be in the BIOS but it may also be in notebook's own software that loads at boot. And the OS itself will have some "accessibility" functions. On my Toshiba, the default is for the "Sticky Fn" key to automatically unstick after a couple seconds but there is an option in the menu to disable the automatic unstick feature - meaning it stays "pressed" indefinitely.

Last, if this notebook's OS has been updated, you might check the notebook's webpage for driver updates.

Bill_Bright, Sep 4, 2020
  3. Rocks Win User
    Function keys won't work w/o hitting Fn key also

So how do I get to BIOS + what do I do when I get there? The keyboard came with the new computer. Not impressed with any of it + especially Windows 10. The function keys clearly have their use listed on the key, but they won't work w/o the Fn key. That's definitely not right.

Rocks, Sep 4, 2020
  4. How do I make function keys default, without Fn combo?

No effect upon pressing <fn> and a function key

I have an ASUS laptop, K52JC, it used to perform certain function when combination of <fn> key and a function key are pressed simultaneously. For example -

• Pressing <fn> and <F10> simultaneously will mute the sound
    • Pressing <fn> and <F11> simultaneously will decrease the volume
    • Pressing <fn> and <F12> simultaneously will increase the volume, and so forth

I have its Windows 10 re-installed recently. Everything works fine after the installation, except when combination of <fn> key and a function key are pressed simultaneously, no effect seems to be generated, as the computer does not respond accordingly.

Please advise how to resolve the above problem.

Patrick_Yeung, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

How do I make function keys default, without Fn combo?

1. How do I make function keys default, without Fn combo? - Similar Threads - function keys default

2. I want to make my fn keys work without pressing along fn key

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to make my fn keys work without pressing along fn key: Hey, I am using a windows 10 pc which have a gigabyte h81M-S motherboard, so i recently changed my keyboard from dell to quantum and my function keys now only work with pressing fn with it, this keyboard doesnt have fn unlock. I want to make these keys pressed without...
  3. I want to make my fn keys work without pressing along fn key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to make my fn keys work without pressing along fn key: Hey, I am using a windows 10 pc which have a gigabyte h81M-S motherboard, so i recently changed my keyboard from dell to quantum and my function keys now only work with pressing fn with it, this keyboard doesnt have fn unlock. I want to make these keys pressed without...
  4. I want to make my fn keys work without pressing along fn key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I lock my f function keys on my keyboard without “fn lock” button?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I lock my f function keys on my keyboard without “fn lock” button?: Hello,I just purchased a Onn wireless keyboard from Walmart. My issue is I’m trying to lock my f functions keys, but there is no “fn lock” button on this particular keyboard only “fn” button. Can someone advise me of a workaround for this issue?Thanks in Advance!...
  6. How do I lock my f function keys on my keyboard without “fn lock” button?

How do I lock my f function keys on my keyboard without “fn lock” button?: Hello,I just purchased a Onn wireless keyboard from Walmart. My issue is I’m trying to lock my f functions keys, but there is no “fn lock” button on this particular keyboard only “fn” button. Can someone advise me of a workaround for this issue?Thanks in Advance!...
  7. When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...: When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it makes the function of “windows” key. What can I do?...
  8. When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...

When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...: When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it makes the function of “windows” key. What can I do?...
  9. FN keys broken - how to permanently disable fn secondary functionality?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    FN keys broken - how to permanently disable fn secondary functionality?: I have a 2015 Lenovo Ideapad. The function keys (as well as arrow keys, the real killer here) are overloaded with functionality like screen brightness, volume, sleep, etc. Something is wrong with the FN key and it acts as though it is permanently depressed, making the f and...
  10. Function key (Fn) is not working!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Function key (Fn) is not working!: When i press Fn + F1 or any other combination nothing happens. I have troubleshooted, restarted and tried many fixes. Please help! It's a Toshiba laptop. The issue has been occuring for a long time....