Windows 10: How do I make my computer shut down (properly)?

Discus and support How do I make my computer shut down (properly)? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since yesterday, I've been trying to find a solution to my PC inability to shut down properly. I've tried to use the (powercfg -h off) to disable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mandroid, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Mandroid Win User

How do I make my computer shut down (properly)?

Since yesterday, I've been trying to find a solution to my PC inability to shut down properly. I've tried to use the (powercfg -h off) to disable hibernation and it did shut down the system but my keyboard stayed on. I guess that the PSU was still giving out power. I recently changed my PSU for a new one and added memory. Thanks in advance!

I have a IBuyPower PC with Windows 10 Home and the specs are:

AMD Phenom II x6 1050T Processor 2.80 GHz 64 bit
    ASRock Model: N68-Vs3 UCC
    Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 7025
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc.
    RAM: Patriot DDR 3 (8 gigs) Dual Channel
    Graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 6850
    Display Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    PSU: EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze

:)

Mandroid, Apr 3, 2018

2. Booting and shutting down

I want to update my computer when I shut down or boot, cause I know what a old version can bring with problems. I have the feeling I need to to make clear that my question is: How do I get my system booting and shutting down properly so my computer can
    do it's updates, cause now my computer is not doing updates during off-houres but when I am using it.

jesperkuipers, Apr 3, 2018
  3. Windows 10 does not shut down properly

When I go to the bottom left to shut down my computer, once I turn it back on everything I had before the shut down is still here for some reason... So is it not shutting down properly? How do you fix this?

PukeChubbs, Apr 3, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Open a cmd window by right-clicking cmd.exe and selecting "Run as administrator." In that Administrative Command prompt enter the following command:
    Code: shutdown /s /f /t 0[/quote] This will immediately and irrevocably shut down your PC. Thus, you'll want to close all open programs, and save any work you wish to retain, before you do this. Also, you'll have to hit the power button to turn it back on.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 3, 2018
  5. Faith Win User
    Disable Windows Fast Startup.

1. Start/search
    2. Type "controlpanel".
    3. Click "System and Security" in the controlpanel.
    4. Further to "Power settings".
    5. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" to the left screen.
    6. Enable admin rights and disable fast startup. Click Apply.

This will disable any kernel footprint caused by it during shutdown.

Faith, Apr 3, 2018
  6. Mandroid Win User
    To be honest... I don't mind the fast startup. Do you think that this may be causing the problem though?

Mandroid, Apr 3, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Apr 3, 2018
  8. Mandroid Win User

@ Ed... So, you're saying that cmd "shutdown /s /f /t 0 " would solve my issue? What does it do, exactly?

Mandroid, Apr 3, 2018
  9. Faith Win User
    Yes, it can cause issues during shutdown. In fact, it's known to cause issues, especially for anti-virus' and direct-kernel drivers. If the os is installed on SSD then you can have it disable without ramification. *Smile You can always enable it if it doesn't help.

Faith, Apr 3, 2018
  10. Mandroid Win User
    My OS is installed on a SATA. I don't have any SSD attached. Will I be on clear then???*Huh

Mandroid, Apr 3, 2018
  11. Word Man Win User
    if you executed that from an elevated (admin) command prompt (as required), it would have also disabled fast startup.

Word Man, Apr 3, 2018
  12. Faith Win User
    Hmm, I think you will see a slower boot process having it disabled on standard HDD, honestly I'm not sure on this. *Think I always disable this feature because I'm running SSDs as primary devices and I don't want my drivers and whatnot to have issues during shutdown or startup. You can always try, right? Just enable it back on if it doesn't help.

EDIT: Nvm. Apparently you have it disabled during command line?

Faith, Apr 3, 2018
  13. Mandroid Win User

@ FAITH ... I do have it disabled, I believe since I already ran it. The problem is that the keyboard stays on.

Mandroid, Apr 3, 2018
  14. Mandroid Win User
    If I already ran the command and computer shuts off but my keyboard stays on. What option do I have left?

Mandroid, Apr 3, 2018
  15. Word Man Win User
    I'm not sure about options, Mandroid, but I'll follow along as I saw this happen on my Dell work laptop before heading from home to work this morning. A real PITA - I mashed the power button - obviously NOT best practice. *Sad

Word Man, Apr 3, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I make my computer shut down (properly)? - Similar Threads - computer shut down

2. My computer isn't shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer isn't shutting down properly: Hello...I just installed Ubuntu on my PC alongside Windows 11. I was thinking it was Windows 10. and after the install. I booted Windows 11 and after a while, I tried to shut down the PC. It showed the shut down screen, then after a blank screen, It boots up my desktop and...
  3. My computer isn't shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer isn't shutting down properly: Hello...I just installed Ubuntu on my PC alongside Windows 11. I was thinking it was Windows 10. and after the install. I booted Windows 11 and after a while, I tried to shut down the PC. It showed the shut down screen, then after a blank screen, It boots up my desktop and...
  4. Computer Not Shutting Down Properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Not Shutting Down Properly: Going to have to look into this tomorrow, but I've noticed a few times recently that when I shut down it seems to shut the OS down and my monitor goes off and everything - but the computer stays on. The light on the front stays on and it still makes a noise and I have to then...
  5. How do I remove the "closing app and shutting down" message and make the computer just shut...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I remove the "closing app and shutting down" message and make the computer just shut...: I remember i did something but the problem is still here submitted by /u/star-dash-438 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/me4aov/how_do_i_remove_the_closing_app_and_shutting_down/
  6. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not shutting down properly: Hi, My machine, running windows 10 pro, 64 bit, does not shut down properly. I only realised recently that if I press a key, it fires back up. I have shut down in windows using the normal power function as usual and it's not set up to go into hibernation. I think it's been...
  7. Proper Shut Down?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Proper Shut Down?: Hello, I have recently reinstalled my windows 10 pro(not sure if that's important info) after several years. The way I had my win 10 set up previously before this, was that when I go to turn the PC off, it clears everything. closes all apps and when I start it, I know I...
  8. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Not shutting down properly: Hi all *Smile Bit of a strange problem with Windows 10 on my desktop - it doesn't seem to shut down properly. I get the usual 'shutting down' screen, but (sometimes) when it turns back on it's resumes at a stage maybe 30 seconds before I switched it off. For example, if I...
  9. My computer can not boot and shut down properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer can not boot and shut down properly: My computer is not starting up and shutting down properly. At first the system started up correctly but I was strangely redirected to a screen that asked me to sign out and sign in again for Windows to work properly I did just that and it was successful. After like 10...
  10. Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!: Since upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, I remain perplexed about this one issue that is plaguing my system: Almost every shut down is reported in the Windows 10 Reliability Monitor as the computer was not shut down properly. This happens on both shut downs and restarts using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i shut down my computer properly

2. how do i shut down computer properly

3. shut down computer shortcut

4. how do i shut computer down properly,
  5. how do i shut down my computer,
  6. how do i shut down this computer properly,
  7. power off