Windows 10: How do I make my laptop stay on. It powers down after it is left

Discus and support How do I make my laptop stay on. It powers down after it is left in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; How do I make my new laptop stay on. It powers down after you quit using it. * Moved from IE10/other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MaxHorton1, Jun 28, 2020.

1. How do I make my laptop stay on. It powers down after it is left

How do I make my new laptop stay on. It powers down after you quit using it.

* Moved from IE10/other

:)

MaxHorton1, Jun 28, 2020

2. The light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per your description, I understand that the light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise due to various reasons:

• System not properly shut down or might be in sleep mode.

• Power cord connected to the device.

• Change in the settings.
    I would appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• Did you make any recent changes to the settings?

• Does the CPU fan spins after the shutdown?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, (if you are using a laptop).

Unplug the charger from the lap top and check if the issue persists and also try to shut down from the lock screen.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Mandroid Win User
    How do I make my computer shut down (properly)?

I didn't want to do an extra step and have to go to the strip every time, even if this solves the problem.

Mandroid, Jun 28, 2020
  4. How do I make my laptop stay on. It powers down after it is left

When I press the power button sleep, hibernated, or power down don't work my screen goes off but not my pc

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

To assist you better, I would like to know when exactly you had received this error. Are you able to boot the computer?

The following steps detail how to change what happens when the power button is pressed.

By default the power button will tell the computer to shut down, if it is not set to shut down, please follow the below steps.

• In the Windows search box enter ‘Power Options’ and click on it when it appears in the list.
    • On the left of the window, click on the ‘Choose what power buttons do’ link
    • Under ‘When I press the power button’ choose the option you want to change it to
      Shut Down.
    • Click ‘Save changes’ to save the changes.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

After performing the power troubleshooter, please perform the steps that has been provided above.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

How do I make my laptop stay on. It powers down after it is left

1. How do I make my laptop stay on. It powers down after it is left - Similar Threads - laptop stay powers

2. HELP, my PC stays powered up after shut down!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP, my PC stays powered up after shut down!: Hi all,Having a strange issue that has just started happening. When I press Windows, shut down. It goes through the usual windows shut down procedure and my monitor goes down but all my peripherals, lights and fans stay powered on. Have to just unplug at the moment to get my...
  3. HELP, my PC stays powered up after shut down!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP, my PC stays powered up after shut down!: Hi all,Having a strange issue that has just started happening. When I press Windows, shut down. It goes through the usual windows shut down procedure and my monitor goes down but all my peripherals, lights and fans stay powered on. Have to just unplug at the moment to get my...
  4. Win 10 won’t stay shut down after power outage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 won’t stay shut down after power outage: Got an power outage 2 days ago and after that my PC wont shutdown. I only have 1 USB connected and I un plug the USB and try it still lights on the computer. I can't remember anything aside from the outage. Please someone help....
  5. Win 10 won’t stay shut down after power outage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 won’t stay shut down after power outage: Got an power outage 2 days ago and after that my PC wont shutdown. I only have 1 USB connected and I un plug the USB and try it still lights on the computer. I can't remember anything aside from the outage. Please someone help....
  6. Win 10 won’t stay shut down after power outage

Win 10 won’t stay shut down after power outage: Had a power outage over night while sleeping between Sept 10-11. I had everything but one USB hub plugged into one strip, the strip with just the Hub, it fried my hub. Now my PC won’t stay shut down, I shut it down and the light on the case flickers once and then it restarts....
  7. power problem laptop won't turn on after sleep or shut down lights power light stays on

power problem laptop won't turn on after sleep or shut down lights power light stays on: power lite and power button lite stay on after shutdown but windows doesn't shut down all the way. I have to press the reset button to get it going again I dont know what.s going on with this . HELP!!!...
  8. How do I make my laptop never go into deep sleep (needing to press the power button) after...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I make my laptop never go into deep sleep (needing to press the power button) after...: I want it to wake up immediately upon opening it and not have to press the power button and wait for it to boot up (restores the session, but still). Sometimes it just wakes up, other times, when more time has past I need to press the power button for it to turn on. Why is...
  9. How do I make my left speaker play both left and right audio?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I make my left speaker play both left and right audio?: My right speaker is blown out and the left speaker is the only one playing audio. This is fine, but when I listen to music or watch a video with split audio, it gets annoying to only hear one side of it. How do I make my left speaker play both sides? (Eliminate the split...
  10. How do I make my computer shut down (properly)?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I make my computer shut down (properly)?: Since yesterday, I've been trying to find a solution to my PC inability to shut down properly. I've tried to use the (powercfg -h off) to disable hibernation and it did shut down the system but my keyboard stayed on. I guess that the PSU was still giving out power. I recently...