Windows 10: How do I make new windows open on top of existing windows?

Discus and support How do I make new windows open on top of existing windows? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I very often have new windows open behind existing windows. I don't want "always on top" or any of that type of nonsense. I just want new windows to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gregyurkon, Sep 23, 2017.

1. How do I make new windows open on top of existing windows?

I very often have new windows open behind existing windows. I don't want "always on top" or any of that type of nonsense. I just want new windows to open in front of existing windows. I tried changing ForegroundFlashCount and ForegroundLockTimeout, but to no avail. I currently have them set to 3 and 200,000 respectively.

:)

gregyurkon, Sep 23, 2017

2. How do I make games open on the primary display?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

From the description I understand your concern about display with games on Windows 10.

Please provide us with the following information to assist you better:

• Which are the games that do not access primary display on Windows 10?
    • Have you checked with the compatibility of the game on Windows 10?

Kindly get back to us with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 23, 2017
  3. How do I make games open on the primary display?

The problem seems to have gone away. There was a nvidia driver update today, maybe that has changed something.

Les Ferguson, Sep 23, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

How do I make new windows open on top of existing windows?

Aa in having them Maximized and wanting to layer each one over as the OS minimizes the rear one into a sort of standby state. The first option you are playing with flashes the taskbar, the second one you are playing with decides how long that process stays in the foreground before the OS places it into a suspended state to lower CPU resources, unless there is activity happening in that window such as downloading, maintenance, malware scanning, which overrides the second setting.

bro67, Sep 23, 2017
  5. So how do I get new windows to open in the foreground, instead of the background?

gregyurkon, Sep 23, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    The same as it has always been done in Windows. If you want to just click to bring up, Move cursor to Taskbar and then have the preview come up to choose the window for the app.

bro67, Sep 23, 2017
  7. I've always thought that the normal behavior was for a newly opened window to open in front of all the other windows, so that you can see it without the additional step of bringing it to the front. Was I mistaken about this?

gregyurkon, Sep 23, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 23, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    @gregyurkon

Two things to try. First try the launch folder separate setting.....turn on if off, off if on. Toggle it to see if it that works. Should sign-off/on after tweak.

How do I make new windows open on top of existing windows? [​IMG]

Second, re-apply your current theme. Probably would need to set a default theme, then set back to the one you want.

f14tomcat, Sep 23, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    When you open a new window, it will always come up and cause another window to go into a background process until it goes into a hibernation sleep if written into the code and release memory. The worse thing that you want is a program in the foreground as another and cause a memory leak to eat up all available memory.

Dealt with that issue way too much with idiots using the wrong way of creating programs and a Intranet website for a state government and no one that had the title of "IT/LAN" had a freaking clue, even those who went to school and use Mac OS, but did not understand that when someone working on that computer is in the middle of something and cannot save it because of what they are doing.

You end up idiot with the title of IT walks up and shuts down everything without waiting, is when you tell them that they are not to touch your workstation until you are there and have saved your work.

Not once did I ever get wrote up, nor pulled into a manager's office, since they knew that I was in the right and told the idiots from the IT group to wait until the workers are done with what they are doing. That was because your manager had gotten tired of losing work and dealing with hearing employees scream WTF when they come back after lunch or had to go do something and the work that was needed by another unit is gone.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I make new windows open on top of existing windows? - Similar Threads - open top existing

2. New windows and apps open on top of the active window

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New windows and apps open on top of the active window: It commonly happens that I need to open and excel sheet. This takes up to ten seconds to open, it would be helpful if I could spend these seconds navigating to other windows in windows explorer or typing in a word document. Instead I will get three seconds to do this until...
  3. New windows and apps open on top of the active window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New windows and apps open on top of the active window: It commonly happens that I need to open and excel sheet. This takes up to ten seconds to open, it would be helpful if I could spend these seconds navigating to other windows in windows explorer or typing in a word document. Instead I will get three seconds to do this until...
  4. New windows and apps open on top of the active window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows explorer tabs - open a new tab in an existing window instead of opening a new window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows explorer tabs - open a new tab in an existing window instead of opening a new window: I would like when I already have an open file explorer and for example, if a click a folder on the desktop, I would like it to go in a new tab in the already opened file explorer instead of creating a new window...
  6. windows explorer tabs - open a new tab in an existing window instead of opening a new window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows explorer tabs - open a new tab in an existing window instead of opening a new window: I would like when I already have an open file explorer and for example, if a click a folder on the desktop, I would like it to go in a new tab in the already opened file explorer instead of creating a new window...
  7. How do I make a new user but with an existing user folder on a second drive?

How do I make a new user but with an existing user folder on a second drive?: I recently found my old hard drive from my old computer and inserted it into my current computer, and I still have my old user folder on my old drive. Is there a way to make a new local user and map the directory to my old user folder on the second drive with the registry...
  8. how do I make new tabs automatically open as new windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do I make new tabs automatically open as new windows?: im using microsoft edge browser,is this possible? submitted by /u/Trihardcel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kj9ju3/how_do_i_make_new_tabs_automatically_open_as_new/
  9. win 10 no longer opens new app/window on top of existing

win 10 no longer opens new app/window on top of existing: Recently upgrade to new PC with Win 10 I now find the OS no longer open a new window on top of any others that are open They open but are in the background and I then need to close or minimise or move the window that has the focus This has only begun to be an issue after...
  10. How to open new folder but keep the existing one open?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to open new folder but keep the existing one open?: Now in my third week with Windows 10 after 15 years using XP. After much googling and several posts in various newgroups and forums I still have no answer to the subject question. In XP, if you wanted to open a new folder (e.g. move up to the next one in the tree) you...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. to make new windows open ontop