Windows 10: How do I make old MS Works files compatible w/Win 10?

Discus and support How do I make old MS Works files compatible w/Win 10? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I just replaced a 10 year old HP desktop with a new Lenovo (8gb ram...1tb hard drive). All of my docs. were in MS Works format which is not compatible... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Fred22, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Fred22 Win User

How do I make old MS Works files compatible w/Win 10?

I just replaced a 10 year old HP desktop with a new Lenovo (8gb ram...1tb hard drive). All of my docs. were in MS Works format which is not compatible with OpenOffice, which I running on both this laptop and the desktop. Is there a way to "convert" these documents so that they will run on OpenOffice or some other word processor (which is al I need..don't use spreadsheet or any of the other functions on OpenOffice).

:)

Fred22, Feb 26, 2017

2. MS Word to MS10

How do I make a ms word file work on w 10?

ElroyHaselius_859, Feb 26, 2017
  3. PC has different p/w than MS account, can't change it

Tried to change p/w on PC w/Win 10 Pro installed recently. Changed it on MS account, but the change wasn't made on PC. Apparently there was server glitch during the change. Now I can only log in to the PC with the old p/w. Trying to log in with
    the MS account p/w results in error msg: 'Device is off line. Sign in with p/w last used'. Logging on with old p/w gives access to PC, but not to things like OneDrive. Attempting to change p/w in Settings results in error message: ;Something went wrong,.'
    Trying to add a MS account in Settings results in error msg: 'Sorry, problem with server. Working on it. Try again in a few minutes..' Trying again doesn't work, even after a couple of weeks. How do I get the PC to sign in with the MS pwd???

Mary Ann Gie, Feb 26, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

You can do it online or download a converter there are lots to choose from if you Google works converter WPS File Extension

Samuria, Feb 26, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
  6. Fred22 Win User
    I tried both but neither works.

Fred22, Feb 26, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Can you still run MS Works on the old HP machine? If so you can try saving them in a format that can be opened...

Converting Office Files - SKILLS@UNI

8. Fred22 Win User

The HP is long gone. I downloaded the 2 convertors recommended but neither worked. I'll check out your link, Bree.

Fred22, Feb 26, 2017
  9. Fred22 Win User
    That one didn't work either. Does anyone have more suggestions? It seems to me that it would not be that big of a deal to convert MS Works files (.mps ?) to OpenOffice files (.odt).

Fred22, Feb 27, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Are you wedded to Open Office? Apparently Libre Office can open Works .wps files.
    Will LibreOffice open .wps files (MS Works)? - Ask LibreOffice

11. Fred22 Win User
    I have quite a few docs. on my laptop in OpenOffice format. What I'd really like to do is convert my .wps. files (now on my external HD) to .odt. (OpenOffice). However, I may give LibreOffice a try. Will it also open .odt files?

Fred22, Feb 27, 2017
  12. Fred22 Win User
    I downloaded LibreOffice and none of my files would open. I uninstalled and now it's trying to open my docs. w/Microsft Word, I believe. HELP!

Fred22, Feb 27, 2017
  13. Fred22 Win User

I'm afraid to download anything else. I even uninstalled OfficeLibre, but I guess all my files are now LibreOffice format. I know the icon looks different. What can I do?

Fred22, Feb 27, 2017
  14. Berton Win User
    I frequently install the free LibreOffice 4 for my older clients that still have Works files [mostly recipes], very compatible. OpenOffice appears to have dropped support for Works formats. Also, Works 9 is quite usable on Win10, have it on some of my 32-bit and 64-bit computers.

Berton, Feb 27, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    It sounds like you just deleted Office Libre, uninstalling should have removed its file associations and changed the icon back. You can set the file associations to whatever you want (and the icon will change to suit).
    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10

Thema:

1. How do I make old MS Works files compatible w/Win 10? - Similar Threads - old Works files

2. How do I solve a win 10/ Overdrive compatibility issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I solve a win 10/ Overdrive compatibility issue?: Win 10 has stopped working with Overdrive. Overdrive tells me it's a compatibility issue with Windows Is there a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-solve-a-win-10-overdrive-compatibility/89c98b73-eb8f-4283-9cbf-8c787800fbb3
  3. How do I solve a win 10/ Overdrive compatibility issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I solve a win 10/ Overdrive compatibility issue?: Win 10 has stopped working with Overdrive. Overdrive tells me it's a compatibility issue with Windows Is there a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-solve-a-win-10-overdrive-compatibility/89c98b73-eb8f-4283-9cbf-8c787800fbb3
  4. Old game: How do I make it work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old game: How do I make it work?: Hi guys! I've owned the game "Alpine Ski Racing 2007" (RTL) for many years and wanted to ask if anyone knows how to get it running again! Unfortunately, I always get the following error message: Error loading x64 Driver. Did you forget to reboot? (despite repeated booting and...
  5. Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?

Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?: So, I have a VERY old legacy program that was written during the late 90's (not by me) and runs just fine on an old Pentium machine I have (running Win98). This program basically plays wav files while it commands an external board via an RS232 port. On a lark, I wondered if...
  6. Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?: So, I have a VERY old legacy program that was written during the late 90's (not by me) and runs just fine on an old Pentium machine I have (running Win98). This program basically plays wav files while it commands an external board via an RS232 port. On a lark, I wondered if...
  7. Win 10. W wrong MS product code

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10. W wrong MS product code: Login get "go to settings to activate Windows. Do so and cant get in as the 10 on hard drive doesnt match the MS product code on bottom of laptop. Am an old guy, who had kid borrow my laptop. Was I dumb? Help! 151330
  8. WIN 10 Compatibility with MS Money 2003

WIN 10 Compatibility with MS Money 2003: Hi Folks: I am presently running WIN8.1x64 on a DELL desktop XPS8700, and am considering changing to the current version of WIN10. Last week, an overnight, auto upgrade/download to WIN10 was done on my machine; however, I did not agree to Legalize and reverted back to...
  9. How do I make a boot drive after downloading W 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I make a boot drive after downloading W 10: I screwed up and failed to make a boot drive before downloading and installing Windows 10. I have tried going to the Windows media site but it won't let me do it. Any suggestion for making a boot drive? 14794
  10. How do I clear win 10 compatability check results

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I clear win 10 compatability check results: I checked the compatibility of my system and the video card failed and it is not supported in win 10. I bought a compatible card and installed the drivers. Now when I try to upgrade to win 10 it will not run the compatibility test again and still shows the old video card as...