Windows 10: How do I make the start screen the default when first logging in

Discus and support How do I make the start screen the default when first logging in in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sorry if this is a duplicate question, but I couldn't find it here on the forums, and other solutions offered on other sites have not worked. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NavyLCDR, Jul 25, 2015.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

How do I make the start screen the default when first logging in

Sorry if this is a duplicate question, but I couldn't find it here on the forums, and other solutions offered on other sites have not worked.

When I log in, I want to go directly to the start screen rather than the desktop and having to click the windows icon/button.

I have tried right clicking on the taskbar->properties->Navigation Tab and the only option there is the option to replace command prompt with windows powershell.

I have tried setting the group policy User Configuration->Administrative Template->Start Menu and Taskbar->"Go to the desktop instead of start when signing in" to both disabled and not configured with no effect.

Can anybody tell me how to get the other options to show up in the Navigation Tab of taskbar properties or how to set the start screen as the default when signing in?

I am on Windows 10 Pro build 10240, upgraded from 8.1 Pro and am logged in with an administrator account.

Thank you in advance!

:)

NavyLCDR, Jul 25, 2015

2. How do I make the print larger on the screen in Windows 10?

How do I make the print larger on the screen in Windows 10?

MelanieWeaver, Jul 25, 2015
  3. lacrumb Win User
    How do I make the print larger on the screen in Windows 10?

Go Settings, Ease of access.

Look at the different options.

lacrumb, Jul 25, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

In windows 10 there is no start screen. It's been dropped and at this point there is no work around.

BunnyJ, Jul 25, 2015
  5. wzor Win User
    Oi mate!

You could try downloading this file, extracting it, and putting the .exe file in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"
    Please read my signature, especially the first line.

Cheers!

6. BunnyJ New Member
    I just tried it and it only brings up the start menu.. not the start scree. And it can't since MS totally removed the start screen from the OS. Brink tried a hack of the registry at the start.. it worked but MS changed the way they code the start menu so it will not work anymore.

BunnyJ, Jul 25, 2015
  7. wzor Win User
    By start screen i think he meant the start menu in full screen. But you're right. The Windows 8.x start screen is currently not available in Windows 10.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Then what is this? This is what I would like to go to upon signing in.

NavyLCDR, Jul 25, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    That is the default.. and you don't have to do anything. or use the option that wzor posted.

BunnyJ, Jul 25, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    What is the screenshot that I posted? The screen with all the apps icons on it that appears when I press the windows key.

NavyLCDR, Jul 25, 2015
  11. wzor Win User
    Thats the start menu. You could try my solution but it has a slight delay, depending on your computer speed.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's not the default because all three computers that I have updated to Windows 10 goes right into the desktop when I sign in for every user that signs on to those computers.

NavyLCDR, Jul 25, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Sigh.. use the recommendation that wzor posted. BTW, the start menu is the default option.

BunnyJ, Jul 25, 2015
  14. wzor Win User
    He meant that the start menu is default. The windows 8 screen BunnyJ tough you wanted isn't default, therefore he told you the screenshot you posted was default

15. Edwin New Member
    This used to work but I'm not sure if it does in the current build:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage

OpenAtLogon Value 1

Edwin, Jul 25, 2015
Thema:

1. How do I make the start screen the default when first logging in - Similar Threads - start screen default

2. How do I make a Microsoft pin for the first time starting my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make a Microsoft pin for the first time starting my pc: I start my pc for the first time ever. It makes me sign in to Microsoft then when I go to create a pin for the first time it freezes and won’t give me the option. There’s no opting out. I already tried disconnecting from the internet...
  3. How do I make a Microsoft pin for the first time starting my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make a Microsoft pin for the first time starting my pc: I start my pc for the first time ever. It makes me sign in to Microsoft then when I go to create a pin for the first time it freezes and won’t give me the option. There’s no opting out. I already tried disconnecting from the internet...
  4. How do I log in with my business account when first logging into computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I log in with my business account when first logging into computer?: When I originally got my windows 11 laptop from HP I logged in with my personal account. However; I am wanting to log in with my business account log in credentials. I've been trying to log out of my personal account and log in with my business account but haven't found a...
  5. How do I log in with my business account when first logging into computer?

How do I log in with my business account when first logging into computer?: When I originally got my windows 11 laptop from HP I logged in with my personal account. However; I am wanting to log in with my business account log in credentials. I've been trying to log out of my personal account and log in with my business account but haven't found a...
  6. How do I make 'repeat' default in Windows photos?

How do I make 'repeat' default in Windows photos?: How do I make 'repeat' default in Windows photos application? Thanks windows 10 home, version 1909 153204
  7. How do I make Chrome my default browser?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I make Chrome my default browser?: how do I stop MSN automatically loading up when I connect to the Internet, I have to keep closing it and opening chrome, also when start-up my computer doesn't automatically connect to the Internet, I have to keep man,ually connecting it though I've ticked the box...
  8. How do I make a screen print?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I make a screen print?: How do I make a screen print? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-a-screen-print/2bbdb505-8419-42e4-a205-28eb7be91b44"
  9. How do I make Firefox my default browser

in Browsers and Email
    How do I make Firefox my default browser: [img] I've been using Firefox for several years now and have all my folders set up so I have easy access to desired websites. Yesterday I was doing something (not sure what) and when I opened my browser it opened as Bing. I went to Start...Three lines at the...
  10. How to make the Start be the default?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make the Start be the default?: I just built a new machine. When It starts it opens to the Windows back ground image. I have to click the start icon in the task bar to bring up start with the tiles. On my other machines and my surface it defaults to the start with Tiles. Also, clicking any where on the...