Windows 10: How do I manage backup space? The link doesn't open.

Discus and support How do I manage backup space? The link doesn't open. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have space being consumed on an external drive of old backups. These were created a while ago and I want to keep one or two around for historical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by SOHO1, Jan 13, 2017.

1. SOHO1 Win User

How do I manage backup space? The link doesn't open.

I have space being consumed on an external drive of old backups. These were created a while ago and I want to keep one or two around for historical archives, but the rest can go. Trouble is, how do I get backup and restore to manage them? Or... should I just drill down and delete the files myself?

How do I manage backup space? The link doesn't open. [​IMG]

Explorer shows a prompt as Win10 recognizes these backup folder and seems to be suggesting I should be doing something special (use backup and restore perhaps?) Well, the link to "How do I manage the disk spaced used by this backup?" does NOTHING.*really

1st item then, is "why?" How can that be resolved?

Of course, I can work around Windows 10 and just take ownership of the directory and look at the backup sets inside and make decisions on my own, but it would be nice if this <expletive deleted>*Mad software would be friendly about this.

My last system backup was actually to another external drive and neither "Manage space" nor "Change settings" let me do anything except set a new backup location, not actually manage existing backup space, or in my case spaces.

:)

SOHO1, Jan 13, 2017

2. I want to backup my phone to my PC - How can I do that? What software do I need?

If your talking of Android as the Linux "Open Source", it is not open source (completely) and neither the only Linux Mobility Device OS.

The really "Open Source OS" is actually Maemo

Developed by Nokia and Intel and currently controlled by Hildon Corp.

It doesn't even need a PC to backup. It can backup all messages,contacts,calender entries,call log, and even boot log in the eMMC.

However, only the app data is stored and apps need to be downloaded from the maemo repository which obviously doesn't need an account or a very fast internet connection.(20kbps is sufficient).

Anubhav Narayan, Jan 13, 2017
  3. Manage Calendars C6-01 -How do I delete calendars?

When calendar view is open select options and 'manage calendars'. Long press on certain calendar opens option to delete it.

jakke---01, Jan 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it's great you're using imaging. Someone may be able to comment specifically on using Backup and Restore.

The usual response on questions about it is to recommend using 3rd party tools such as Macrium Reflect (free) - which are
    - more feature rich
    - properly supported (tech support / forums)
    - updated and maintained
    - more reliable
    - documented

As regards your non-functional link - maybe some sort of help? - MS has clearly eliminated a whole department which to Win 7 did provide useful inks and pages, leaving the community to document their product.

Threads here where difficulties using B&Restore have been raised usually receive a recommendation to use a 3rd party tool.

dalchina, Jan 13, 2017
Thema:

1. How do I manage backup space? The link doesn't open. - Similar Threads - manage backup space

2. how do i add space with an sd card?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i add space with an sd card?: how do i add space w/ an sd card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-add-space-with-an-sd-card/6f0d919f-ef22-40fe-baf9-9dfb64b40e41"
  3. How do I backup files?

How do I backup files?: I just got a MS Surface, How do I backup files? I was trying to download icloud but having trouble so does MS Surface have a file backup program & how does it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-backup-files/e51d527b-2700-4d26-8275-ede3fd0af5fc"
  4. How do I run Passport Backup

How do I run Passport Backup: How do I run Passport Backup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-run-passport-backup/39c05d80-3a97-4439-9e06-ea91cfda0b35"
  5. How do I open links externally?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I open links externally?: I can't find this setting in the Windows 10 FB app. Please help. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-links-externally/7f6bfa76-7771-4b48-851a-7754315d0955
  6. how do i creat storage space

how do i creat storage space: I not very good withcomputer it keeps tellingme I am low on storage space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-creat-storage-space/4cf6cc07-b0bd-4f85-8f2d-009009577a28"
  7. How do I change Computer Management opening window size?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change Computer Management opening window size?: When I open this app, it always uses the same window size, which is too small for my liking. Resizing and maximizing it doesn't help; after I close, the next time I re-open, it will be back to that default size. Is there a way I can set the window size parameters for this...
  8. how do i backup my apps?!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how do i backup my apps?!: i'm still searching for a method/software/app/script to backup my apps or have, at least, a list of installed apps. i'm used to do system image backups but last time it went corrupted and i had to format and remember what was installed... i could have a log in my microsoft...
  9. Help wanted for managing space for Windows Backup...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Help wanted for managing space for Windows Backup...: I have a 2TB backup disk, and schedule a weekly backup of my USER data only, no system image created. My most recent backup apparently did not complete due to lack of space, per the msg. in Windows Backup... There is a system image on the same disk, presumably in the...
  10. How do I open this file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I open this file?: [img] I'm not computer savvy and I'm trying to download a mod for Sims 3. I finally extracted the zipped file and what appears next to it is an internet explorer icon. I double clicked on it and it opened up my download manager window like in the picture. Except when I...