Windows 10: How do I map network drive when connected to VPN at home?

Discus and support How do I map network drive when connected to VPN at home? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I'm currently at work and would like to map a network folder (music) located on my Synology NAS back home. I'm connected to my home network via a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hoggorm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Hoggorm Win User

How do I map network drive when connected to VPN at home?

Hi,

I'm currently at work and would like to map a network folder (music) located on my Synology NAS back home.

I'm connected to my home network via a VPN server in my Asus router. The NAS is located at IP 192.168.1.111

I am not able to connect to the NAS and this network folder when connected to my network via VPN, only when I am actually at home following this tutorial:

DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.

I suspect I have to open some ports on my router to allow this? Is this correct?

What must I do to connect to this music folder on my NAS back home?

:)

Hoggorm, Jan 30, 2019
  2. eliepins Win User

Trouble mapping a drive over a VPN

I have a network attached storage system and when I am out of network I connect through a VPN and map the drive to access.

A few computers have been able to connect to the VPN and map the drive while others can connect to the VPN but then when trying to map the drive it says network error "windows cannot access (folder location)"

Anyone know what the issue may be? I suspect it's a setting on those individual computers not being able to map the drive rather than an issue with my NAS system.

I've attached a screenshot of the error.

How do I map network drive when connected to VPN at home? [​IMG]

eliepins, Jan 30, 2019
  3. Knoxx29 Win User
    Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Jan 30, 2019
  4. billybag Win User

School's mapped network

ive been trying to connect to my school's network remotely from home. My classmate's don't seem to be having an issue.

first step is to use Pulse Secure to connect to my shcool's VPN and this is successfuly
    using windows "Mapped Networks and Drives" i assign a drive letter and type \\files.al-lab.csus.edu\Groups as instructed. and then i check “Connect using different credentials” like also instructed.

the instructions stress that you must type .\ before your username (i have tried with and without)

but i always get incorrect password

i have also tried the USE NET command with the same results

the username and password is, in fact, correct because it is the same credentials i use to connect with Pulse Secure and the web-based/in browser version of the network

ive also tried refreshing DNS and resetting winsock

billybag, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I map network drive when connected to VPN at home? - Similar Threads - map network drive

2. how do i change an IP address on a mapped network drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i change an IP address on a mapped network drive?: My small office has a network storage drive that we have mapped to three desktops all running Windows 11. The network drive is older. That said, one of the desktops suddenly has a problem connecting to that drive. When i look into it, it has an IP of 10.1.1.242. However, on...
  3. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to mapped network drive: Can't log into drive on another compter because it changed the user email to a different email with a name to an unkown PC that kind of has the correct name but the username on the other computer does not exist with all the junk in the email. When I remote into the other...
  4. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to mapped network drive: Can't log into drive on another compter because it changed the user email to a different email with a name to an unkown PC that kind of has the correct name but the username on the other computer does not exist with all the junk in the email. When I remote into the other...
  5. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. When I try to map a network drive, Explorer.exe crashes. How do I fix this?

When I try to map a network drive, Explorer.exe crashes. How do I fix this?: I can't specifically remember when this started, it was likely after a windows update. I have a home server running ESXi & FreeNAS which I use as a network SMB share. I can access the share and login via the network just fine, but I cannot map the network drive as a lettered...
  7. Slow mapped drive connection over VPN

Slow mapped drive connection over VPN: Hello, We having some issues with remote users accessing our shared drive over a VPN. Everything was fine up to about a week ago, when the connection slowed down dramatically. The VPN latency and bandwidth seem fine 100 ms and 600 MB/s, and also I tested the client against...
  8. Issue connecting to a mapped drive over VPN...

Issue connecting to a mapped drive over VPN...: I'm working on an odd problem with drive mapping over our F5 VPN. Here are the particulars... 1. I can map the drive, but not access either of the folders on it via my prod VPN (tested on three laptops, using Win7 and Win10). It works fine over my Lab VPN, wireless and on...
  9. Windows 10 VPN connection and the problem with mapping network folders

Windows 10 VPN connection and the problem with mapping network folders: Hello I have two locations with a VPN network. Qnap NAS server on each subnet. My problem is that I can not map the Qnap drive in the second subnet (WINDOWS 10). For example I work in the 192.168.3 subnet. and map the drive in the same subnet, everything works....
  10. Mapping a network drive using certificate but not a VPN - possible?

Mapping a network drive using certificate but not a VPN - possible?: Hey, I currently connect to our office server by way of an installed certificate onto my PC and then using a VPN which is first established before I can map a shared drive and work with the files stores there. Is there a easier way of doing this ? ideally looking for a...