Windows 10: how do i migrate ONLY the os to a smaller ssd than my hard drive

Discus and support how do i migrate ONLY the os to a smaller ssd than my hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i got a new ssd and i want IT to be only a boot drive and my hdd to be for general storage.i got Aomei,i press on migrate os i select the 120 gb ssd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kamerrg, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Kamerrg Win User

how do i migrate ONLY the os to a smaller ssd than my hard drive

i got a new ssd and i want IT to be only a boot drive and my hdd to be for general storage.i got Aomei,i press on migrate os i select the 120 gb ssd that i have and it says that i need around 300 gb more (my hdd is 1tb and i have only used 300 gb) i looked online to see how much windows takes and have enough storage for it can someone help me with this i only want the os to be transfered to the ssd.

:)

Kamerrg, Aug 29, 2019
  2. Ivy336289 Win User

how to migrate only the OS to a new SSD

to migrate os to SSD, you need a third-party tool. I recommend you AOMEI Partition Assistant. It offers you a feature called Migrate OS to SSD,
    which can help you transfer your os without effort.

before you start, you need to make sure the system partition on the old hard drive is smaller than or equal to 120GB. Also, you need to download AOMEI Partition Assistant.

then, see below.

1. launch AOMEI Partition Assistant

2. click Migrate os to SSD at the left panel

3. in the new window, click Next

4. select an unallocated space or a partition on your SSD

5. modify the information of your boot partition, including drive letter, size and position. then, click Next and Finish to back to the main page.

6. click Apply at the top left corner and Proceed to start the pending operation. then, just wait.

Ivy336289, Aug 29, 2019
  3. OS migration to ssd

I want to migrate my OS to my new ssd, but with the softwares I've downloaded can only move the whole C: drive, but my ssd only has 223gb of storage and I've got in my HDD 500gb of stored stuff. To solve this I made a partition to move all the files that
    weren't files of the OS. When I tried to do this I couldn't move such files. Is there a way to move all my files from the C: drive to the partition or to manually move my OS to the ssd?

marcocatella, Aug 29, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

SSD and OS

Hopefully these guides may help you.

Move from a hard drive to an SSD
    Move to SSD: migrate your PC to solid state
    How to Migrate to a Solid-State Drive Without Reinstalling Windows

You did not mention which OS, so...

Linux: Move your Linux installation to a new Solid State Drive - even a smaller one

Edit: Just my opinion, here: but, I would back up my needed data and go for a fresh install... or, maybe, even an upgrade, if you are using an older version of the OS.

95Viper, Aug 29, 2019
Thema:

1. how do i migrate ONLY the os to a smaller ssd than my hard drive - Similar Threads - migrate smaller ssd

2. Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive: My OS is Windows 10. I have a 2 TB hard drive, formatted as NTFS, that is partitioned as follows: - System Reserved @ 100 MB 59% free - Local C: @ 886 GB bootable 59% free - Recovery Partition @ 518 MB 100% free - Local F: @ 977 GB 56% free The end goal is to migrate the...
  3. Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive: My OS is Windows 10. I have a 2 TB hard drive, formatted as NTFS, that is partitioned as follows: - System Reserved @ 100 MB 59% free - Local C: @ 886 GB bootable 59% free - Recovery Partition @ 518 MB 100% free - Local F: @ 977 GB 56% free The end goal is to migrate the...
  4. Format old os drive after migrating to smaller ssd

Format old os drive after migrating to smaller ssd: Help! I migrated my OS to a smaller SSD. Now I need to format the old drive but not sure how? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-old-os-drive-after-migrating-to-smaller-ssd/286b446d-6342-4402-b890-979b8727a196
  5. Transferring OS to a smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring OS to a smaller SSD: I want to move my OS and only my OS to my new SSD which is a 250gb Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2. My main drive is a 1tb HDD and I want to be able to move that drive between laptop and PC without taking the laptops OS with it....
  6. Migrating OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to SSD: To keep it short: Migrating OS from HDD to SSD. Problem is the EFI boot partition (16 Mb) and another unnamed partition are on the SSD. Somehow, the main Windows files are on the C: drive (HDD) and the boot is on the SSD. Aside from that, nothing else on the solid drive....
  7. Migrating OS to new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to new Hard Drive: Okay, I think I need some help. I am trying to move my OS from a SSD that runs on SATA to a PCIe NVMe SSD. My motherboard has a native NVMe slot so I was able to plug it in no problem. I can get a reading on the hard drive itself and I made a complete copy of it using...
  8. OS new a smaller ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS new a smaller ssd: Hello, I want to know if there's any way I can transfer my OS from my 1tb HHD to my new 240gb SSD, if yes how do I do it and with which program, I don't want to delete all my files from my HHD as I don't have the best wifi connection and it would take me long to download all...
  9. Migrate OS to SSD

Migrate OS to SSD: I cannot figure out how to move windows 10 os to new SSD. The C drive is not partitioned so the 1.8 TB drive is trying to migrate to the 500gb SSD, which it will not allow me to do. Is there a way to seperate just the OS from the C drive ?...
  10. Hard drive shows much smaller than is

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive shows much smaller than is: You're quite welcome. Glad we can help. However, I suggest to use the smaller drive for Windows, 200 GB is enough (186 GB shown). You can transfer Windows back to it then use 1TB drive strictly for data. Easier to manage and backup. If you need help on this, let me know.