Windows 10: How do I move a secondary OS partition to a new hard drive without moving the primary one?

Discus and support How do I move a secondary OS partition to a new hard drive without moving the primary one? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I have a bit of a unique situation. I just now got a 3 TB hard drive I plan to run Virtual Machines on. On the existing 1 TB hard drive that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SamJoe404, Nov 24, 2018.

1. SamJoe404 Win User

How do I move a secondary OS partition to a new hard drive without moving the primary one?

Hello. I have a bit of a unique situation. I just now got a 3 TB hard drive I plan to run Virtual Machines on. On the existing 1 TB hard drive that came with my Dell XPS 8900, I have a dual-boot setup with Windows 10 (OEM install) and Windows 7 (manual install). The Win10 partition is 726.83 GB in size, with the Win7 partition being 190.65 GB. My aim is to move the Win7 partition to the new 3 TB drive and restore the 1 TB drive back to its OEM partition state. However, I do not know how to do so. Acronis True Image WD Edition (the cloning software the hard drive manufacturer recommended) appears to copy all partitions, which isn't what I'm aiming for. I also cannot confirm that any other related software will provide different results.

Here is a screenshot from Disk Management:

How do I move a secondary OS partition to a new hard drive without moving the primary one? 888311f0-f150-4d40-bd45-54cf1a8b0196?upload=true.png

If all else fails, I can simply reinstall Windows 7 on the new drive. I haven't used it that much since its installation anyway, and all programs I installed on it can be easily reinstalled. However, I worry that I might mess up the boot record, since Windows 7's version of Windows Boot Manager handles the OS selection, and not Windows 10's. Additionally, I want to avoid any extra hassle of installing the drivers again if I can, and I don't want to overuse my Windows 7 Product Key.

So, if it is possible, how do I move the Win7 partition to the new drive without getting the Win10 partition as well?

Thanks,

SamJoe404.

:)

SamJoe404, Nov 24, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 24, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    New primary drive

Most new retail hard drives include software and instructions for moving the entire contents of your old hard drive to the new hard drive. You can also find the instructions on the hard drive manufacturer's website, and their technical support will help
    you because this is the most common reason for buying a new hard drive.

In a nutshell, you will be backing up your hard drive and restoring it to the new hard drive. The type of backup you will make is called an image, which includes everything on the drive. Essentially, your computer goes to sleep on one drive and
    wakes up on another drive. Everything is exactly the same, only on a new hard drive.

A hard drive is not primary - a partition is primary. A primary partition is a type of partition that can hold a bootable operating system. The term only applies to the older Master Boot Record method of organizing a hard drive. For the newer GUID Partition
    Table method, every partition is a primary partition, so the term loses its meaning.

BulldogXX, Nov 24, 2018
  4. Dia01 Win User

How do I move a secondary OS partition to a new hard drive without moving the primary one?

Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I move a secondary OS partition to a new hard drive without moving the primary one? - Similar Threads - move secondary partition

2. Reformat old drive after moving OS to new one without loss of new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reformat old drive after moving OS to new one without loss of new one: Hello,I have transfered my Windows 10 OS from an HDD to SSD. Probably worth mentioning that I used minitool shadowmaker backup and recovery to do this. The system works just fine when I unplug the old drive, system boots from new SSD. Issue is when I insert old HDD, then it...
  3. Reformat old drive after moving OS to new one without loss of new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reformat old drive after moving OS to new one without loss of new one: Hello,I have transfered my Windows 10 OS from an HDD to SSD. Probably worth mentioning that I used minitool shadowmaker backup and recovery to do this. The system works just fine when I unplug the old drive, system boots from new SSD. Issue is when I insert old HDD, then it...
  4. Reformat old drive after moving OS to new one without loss of new one

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?: I'm trying to move windows onto my NVME drive and everywhere I look has a lengthy process about backing up files. I've already wiped my PC clean, as I'm starting on a new slate. What is the fastest way to just move the OS?...
  6. How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?

How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?: I'm trying to move windows onto my NVME drive and everywhere I look has a lengthy process about backing up files. I've already wiped my PC clean, as I'm starting on a new slate. What is the fastest way to just move the OS?...
  7. How do I move the boot partition to the primary disk?

How do I move the boot partition to the primary disk?: I'm trying to figure out how to move System Reserved to from Disk 1 to Disk 0. I was able to shrink the C: drive by 500MB creating unallocated space, but I cannot seem to figure out how to move the partition. I've attempted using AOMEI, but when I select Resize/Move Partition...
  8. How do I move the boot partition to the primary disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move the boot partition to the primary disk?: I'm trying to figure out how to move System Reserved to from Disk 1 to Disk 0. I was able to shrink the C: drive by 500MB creating unallocated space, but I cannot seem to figure out how to move the partition. I've attempted using AOMEI, but when I select Resize/Move Partition...
  9. How do I move the boot partition to the primary disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  10. Possible to move primary hard drive to new computer as secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Possible to move primary hard drive to new computer as secondary drive?: I have a laptop which won't boot due to a 'bad system config info' error.I also have a new desktop I'm building with a new SSD which I'll use as the primary drive. If I take out the primary SSD from my old laptop, and put it into my new desktop computer as a secondary drive...