Windows 10: How do I move files from OneDrive to a local or remote drive?

Discus and support How do I move files from OneDrive to a local or remote drive? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My OneDrive is almost full and I can't seem to find the option to move files out or to copy then delete. How do I fee up my OneDrive storage? 124473 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by lbeck, Dec 31, 2018.

1. lbeck Win User

How do I move files from OneDrive to a local or remote drive?

My OneDrive is almost full and I can't seem to find the option to move files out or to copy then delete.

How do I fee up my OneDrive storage?

:)

lbeck, Dec 31, 2018

2. File History Not Backing Up OneDrive Local Files

Hi John,

I have exactly the same issue with File History. I have become aware this evening that the File History component isn't backing up the local replica of my OneDrive folder following the upgrade to the Fall Creators Update.

The last backup of my local OneDrive replica was last Friday, the 20th of October 2017 - prior to the upgrade.

This evening I realised this and went about trying some things. Initially, I did the following;

• Disabled File History
    • Went into the folder - %appdata%\Local\Microsoft\windows\FileHistory and deleted everything
    • Re-enabled File History - a backup ran, but nothing within the OneDrive folder was backed up

I then did the following;

• Disabled File History
    • Went into the folder - %appdata%\Local\Microsoft\windows\FileHistory and deleted everything
    • Formatted the external drive
    • Re-enabled File History - ran a backup up, it ran but it didn't backup the local OneDrive replica

I then had a check of the File History settings within both the Control Panel and the Settings app; within the Control Panel, nothing is excluded and within the Settings app, the OneDrive folder is selected.

I ran a few more backups, each time the backup ran and completed but the OneDrive folder is ignored!

OneDrive has the default options enabled - so the Files on Demand option is enabled. I switched this off and tried again - the OneDrive isn't being backed up. I switched it back on - still no back up.

I can confirm that File History was backing up the local OneDrive replica under the Creators Update. It has stopped following the upgrade to the Fall Creators Update!

I am a big OneDrive user and I have 823MB of data downloaded to my laptop which isn't being backed up. I am not happy with this!

This appears to be a wide spread issue... so I would expect Microsoft engineers to be working on explaining and resolving this issue.

Can I please ask if Microsoft is aware of this? Are they working on a fix for this issue? When will the fix be available?

I have created an item of Feedback, which is detailed here - Feedback Hub - Windows Insider

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Neil

Neil Hobbs, Dec 31, 2018
  3. Graham161 Win User
    Onedrive problem saving files to remote HDD

Hi Sarah Kong,

Thanks for the fast reply. I tried what you suggested, The settings were all set to C Drive. I changed them to D Drive then copied and pasted files from Onedrive to the remote drive. I sorry to say it didn't work, When I received my PC back from repair
    the technician said the he had set all files to be stored in the D drive as the SSD was only 80GB. when I checked now the setting was done in Settings for Edge and applied to Downloads.

Regards,

Graham

Graham161, Dec 31, 2018
  4. How do I move files from OneDrive to a local or remote drive?

Search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser

Hi Elias,

To resolve your concern regarding opening local files on OneDrive, follow the steps below:

• Go to
      OneDrive.com.
    • Right click on the file that you want to view.
    • Click on Download.
    • The file will be downloaded, and would normally show up on the bottom part of your browser.
    • Click the file, and it would open up using its normal default application.

Let us know how it goes.

Ruizell Rey, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

How do I move files from OneDrive to a local or remote drive?

1. How do I move files from OneDrive to a local or remote drive? - Similar Threads - move files OneDrive

2. How to move Downloads folder from OneDrive back to local drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move Downloads folder from OneDrive back to local drive?: HiI apologize for my bad english, but it's not my native language. I hope you can help me out nevertheless.When I got my new PC, the default location of my Downloads folder was C/users/username/Downloads.I thought, it would be a nice idea to move this folder to OneDrive,...
  3. How to move Downloads folder from OneDrive back to local drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move Downloads folder from OneDrive back to local drive?: HiI apologize for my bad english, but it's not my native language. I hope you can help me out nevertheless.When I got my new PC, the default location of my Downloads folder was C/users/username/Downloads.I thought, it would be a nice idea to move this folder to OneDrive,...
  4. How do I move folders and files from OneDrive to a local disk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I move folders and files from OneDrive to a local disk?: I need to move folders and files from OneDrive to a local disk. I get an error about cloudfile provider not running. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-folders-and-files-from-onedrive-to-a/fc3f7653-ba18-42fb-99e4-6f399de2152d
  5. How do I move folders and files from OneDrive to a local disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move folders and files from OneDrive to a local disk?: I need to move folders and files from OneDrive to a local disk. I get an error about cloudfile provider not running. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-folders-and-files-from-onedrive-to-a/fc3f7653-ba18-42fb-99e4-6f399de2152d
  6. How do I move folders and files from OneDrive to a local disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How do I move folders from onedrive to my D drive?

How do I move folders from onedrive to my D drive?: For some reason all my save game data is going to a documents folder in my Onedrive. I tried moving it to my c and d drive but it gives me a error message when I do so. I tried copying the contents of the folder and pasting them somwhere else but it did not work and caused...
  8. Moving files from OneDrive to PC Drive

Moving files from OneDrive to PC Drive: i need to move my many photos from OneDrive Windows 10 to my PC drive to free up cloud space, as I've exceeded my limit. I don't want to lose my photos when i delete them from cloud....
  9. How to move everything from Onedrive to Local Computer drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move everything from Onedrive to Local Computer drive?: I have onedrive disabled on my laptop but when I save stuff it still goes to the onedrive folder and it acts like my main PC hard drive (this PC). [img] I tried removing the files in the black square, I tried desktop first and It removed everything from my desktop. So I...
  10. HOW DO I MOVE THE OneDrive default from the C:\ DRIVE to a different drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    HOW DO I MOVE THE OneDrive default from the C:\ DRIVE to a different drive: Due to the way the hard drive was partitioned, OneDrive consumes nearly all of the C: drive. How can I move the default OneDrive folder to the little-used D: drive?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to move files from onedrive to local pc

2. move files from onedrive to local

3. One Drive says it is 80% full can I move these files somewhere else

4. windows move files from onedrive to local