Windows 10: How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

Discus and support How do I move my operating system to a SSD. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Please read my post #2 properly. If you click on the second link in my post and read the tutorial in its entirety, you will see the following within... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sondawg18401, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Steve C Win User

How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

I hadn't spotted that feature of MiniTool Partiton Wizard. Is the migration facility reliable?

Steve C, Aug 26, 2015
  2. ramram55 Win User

why spend money, macrium is free. It will do what you want.

ramram55, Aug 26, 2015
  3. WhyMe Win User
    I've never used MiniTool as I use Paragon Hard Disk Management Suite. I only posted it up as a free option for the OP to consider. MiniTool does seem to have a good rep though...so I'd **imagine** it would be fine...

WhyMe, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

Yes I used it moving over from my test drive.

5. WhyMe Win User
    lol You are like the forum guinea-pig!! Good to know it works though

WhyMe, Aug 26, 2015
  6. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    Hope it is okay to jump-in here with same/similar problem - if it is not please let me know and I will start another thread - but since it is the same subject....

I am trying to find out how exactly I go about transferring my System + Data from a Medion Akoya E1318T 10” Notebook with 500 GB HDD to my just bought Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD – and how to do this easily and safely.

As stated above the provided Samsung Software is no good with Windows 10 – that is out!

The suggested Paragon Software is no good for what I need = System + Data (even if there is not much of the latter on the HDD) - so this option is also out

Unless I go for the more expensive Paragon Drive Copy 15 Professional = which they say IS suited for Windows 10 – which is a good thing! But I have never heard of this Software company before and a little unsure????

So this leaves me with the free version of Macrium Reflect – which many people recommend on this forum – but it does require some tech know-how – and I don’t know what I should do to ensure I get a correct Migration of System and Data from intern HDD to my still extern SSD – and the following steps should I get this done.

I have also bought an extern inateck USB 3.0 Portable HDD Enclosure in which I could place the SSD for the transfer.

But do I do a clone (and can I do this as the SSD is only a 250 GB)?

Or do I do an image to the SSD?

Or do I just do a System Backup to (extern) SSD?

AND after doing either a Clone or Image (whichever is correct?) can I just remove the SSD from the external inateck USB 3.0 Portable HDD Enclosure (and having removed the intern HDD) just insert the SSD into the Notebook – and everything will work correctly from the SSD?

7. ramram55 Win User
    yes, you cloned from internal to external drive, physically insert ssd to your laptop then you are in business, nothing hard. It is downloading macrium, then plug your external ssd into your pc, clone it. That's all, I have done it so many times without fail, today I can closed my eyes and run it, if you believe me.*Biggrin

ramram55, Aug 26, 2015
  8. XYZ
    xyz Win User

Okay ramram55 thanks a lot - I already have Macrium on Notebook - it is showing 8 Partitions of HDD - So when you select the Clone option it just copies all 8 partitions over to the external SSD?

(However one partition must be a System Restore - but which ? - however this System Restore has Windows 8 on it - so it is useless as I now have Windows 10 - so I assume it is better to delete this Partition first - once I know for sure which one it is?

9. WhyMe Win User
    Use the guide linked to earlier!!! (I didn't give the guide it's name btw)

'Idiots Guide' to Transferring Windows from a HDD to a SSD

WhyMe, Aug 26, 2015
  10. ramram55 Win User
    watch the video at 4 mins mark roughly, it shows how to clone, do not worry about the details, download the macrium tools, then go from there. Just follow how they do it, rest is easy.
    How to Clone Windows With Macrium Reflect Free - YouTube

ramram55, Aug 26, 2015
  11. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    Thanks have downloaded your Guide but you do clearly state it is for HDD with 2 partitions while mine has 8 (one of which I guess I can/should delete - see next post reply to ramram55)

Update: Additional Information

This guide says: to a new SSD in a desktop PC

I have read that there can be a difference between doing this on a Desktop and on a Notebook - mine is a Notebook!

Also: ‘Idiots Guide’ for Transferring Windows 8.1 from a HDD to a SSD

This is a guide written for Windows 8.1 - I have Windows 10 - and it would seem there is a big difference with Windows 10 - I have Samsung Software that will do this for me on Windows 8.1 - but not on Windows 10! I also have Aomei backupper Software that will do this on Windows 8.1 - but has problems on Windows 10

I think it is best - safest - to only use solutions designed/ for and proven on Windows 10 - which is a new and different system

12. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    Okay ramram55 thanks a lot - I will look at video and follow the instructions

BUT maybe beforehand ?: I enclose copy of HDD with 8 Partitions (Macrium) - I have no idea what all the partitions do but I guess they are there for some purpose and be left so - with maybe exception of number 8 which is Recovery (D) - should I first delete/wipe this first (as it is old Windows 8 recovery) - or just leave it to place later a windows 10 recovery here (if that is possible and I can do that!) - it is 60 GB I would gain - but don't want to be be doing wrong things?

UpDate

I checked out the video and read the comments - and noticed these two?:

Hakkelaar 4 months ago (edited)
    There is a BIG chance that folks will NOT be able to boot from their 'new' harddisk with a cloned Windows on it. This is because every harddisk has a Disk ID (or Disk Signature). When you clone your Windows onto a new harddisk, that Windows (the MBR ánd the registry) still contains the Disk ID of the OLD harddisk.The Windows on your new disk will be looking for your old disk.

mysteriman9 2 months ago
    Hi there I just cloned my HD to my ssd following this clone worked well but when i put my ssd in to boot from my laptop it wouldn't boot. Trying to figure it out would appreciate some help thanks !

Does mysteriman9 have the problem that Hakkelaar mentions? Is this a real risk? Have you done this cloning on Windows 10 (Notebook)?

13. How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

Thanks for pointing that out - I should have mentioned that I used it with Windows 7.

WightWalker, Aug 26, 2015
  14. ramram55 Win User
    xyz, looks like the drive 'C' is the main drive you have all the good stuff in it with 77GB. At this point clone the entire internal drive using ' clone this disk' button you should be okay, please report your progress. Your external drive is 250GB should be enough storage, only thing is try, see how it works, do not worry the details. Your PC will not blow up, I can guarantee that, you are so close to getting your work done. *Biggrin

ramram55, Aug 26, 2015
  15. I never clone a disk for this very reason but prefer to create an image & transfer it to a new disk.

WightWalker, Aug 26, 2015
Thema:

1. How do I move my operating system to a SSD. - Similar Threads - move operating system

2. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  3. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  4. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  5. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  6. How do I change the operating system font?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the operating system font?: I want to change the pc font to the unone Pokémon font. I'm having struggles finding it. I have the font downloaded as well, I thought it would be in languages but I still can't find it......
  7. How do I disable Choose Operating System

How do I disable Choose Operating System: Hi,I reset my PC using Windows Media Tool.Now every time I restart my PC from a local account or Microsoft account, I am prompted to choose between Windows 10 Volume 2 or Volume 5.How do I stop that and always boot from Volume 2?Thanks in advanced for any help,...
  8. How do move windows to my SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do move windows to my SSD?: I do not have a Samsung SSD so I can't use their data migration tool submitted by /u/SmollBollBob [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i95p6j/how_do_move_windows_to_my_ssd/
  9. Moving operating system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving operating system: I have a 500 gig drive that is nearly full, i want to clone the drive onto a bigger m.2 ssd. thats simple enough, i want to seperate the the operating system from the files and programs so i can have the os on one drive and programs on another, ( deleting the os off the...
  10. Operating System not found, SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Operating System not found, SSD: Been searching for an answer for some time, but have an issue still not resolved. My son's PC is a self built PC, upgraded to Windows 10 when Win 10 came out. No issues until recently, when the PC started freezing at odd times (night, sleeping, browser on and just sitting...