Windows 10: How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

Discus and support How do I move my operating system to a SSD. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; , looks like the drive 'C' is the main drive you have all the good stuff in it with 77GB. At this point clone the entire internal drive using ' clone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sondawg18401, Aug 26, 2015.

1. XYZ
    xyz Win User

How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

okay - will do ....and many thanks

2. XYZ
    xyz Win User

So how do you go about this?

I assume you mean it is not possible to create an image onto the SSD - and then just install this SSD into the Notebook - that this will not work - or am I understanding this wrong?

So i guess you use another external drive (not SSD) to create the HDD Image on to - but then what? Connect the SSD and move the image on to the SDD - and then ???? Just install the SDD - but that won't work either will it???

So don't really understand how exactly this is done? (this is on a Notebook with no place for other Drives!)

3. WhyMe Win User
    @xyz, I think you are really making this soooo complicated
    Fair enough, in that case use the solution I offered in post #2. (The first solution offered). The product is designed for Win10:

WhyMe, Aug 26, 2015
  4. m0nk3n Win User

use migration software for the ssd to clone the disk. i had windows 7 on a hdd and used samsung migration software to clone it over to the ssd. took maybe ~15 ish minutes maybe less. rebooted and formatted the hdd. done!

m0nk3n, Aug 26, 2015
  5. acmanten Win User
    In talking to personnel in office, the ones using SSD by Samsung 500GB EVO SATA III are very happy with it, and it some with software for HHD to SSD copy and confirm. Did the job i a few minutes. all be safe... Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 26, 2015
  6. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    Are we talking about using it for WINDOWS 10 here? (and on Notebook)

because I know it works for 7, 8, 8.1 - Samsung says it does and it does - but with WINDOWS 10 - it has not yet been updated (or new version made) - and most of what I have read so far - is that it does not work on WINDOWS 10 = The Data migration part !!! (not the SSD management part) = this does not work (or work correctly)!

7. m0nk3n Win User
    i was just referring to an easy method i used to get my windows 7 from hdd to ssd.

i know that rapid mode in samsung magician is not yet supported. not even in 4.6.

m0nk3n, Aug 26, 2015
  8. CmmTch Win User

Maybe you're already up and running on your SSD *Zip if that's the case then nevermind this post.

Both times I moved to an SSD (first time from HDD, second time from SSD to larger SSD) the Samsung migration software and cable wouldn't work for me. I do a backup and an image every Sunday at 7:00pm to a second drive, I ended up installing the SSD and booting from my Win7 cd, then chose repair/reinstall from backup image and installed the backup image to the new SSD. This was with Win7 but the same thing should work with W10, I did have to boot from install media and run startup repair to get my computer to boot from the new SSD.

I know you're using a laptop, you can backup and image to an external drive, then install your new SSD, boot from W10 install media, repair with backup image to your new SSD. I've done this on my wife's laptop so I know it will work. The caveat is the three times I used this method were all with Win7, I see no reason why it wouldn't work the same with W10. The backup and image function works the same, so I would think the repair/reinstall from backup image would work too.

CmmTch, Aug 27, 2015
  9. CmmTch Win User
    I'm running Samsung Magician 4.5 and my Rapid Mode is enabled, I didn't change anything, most settings followed when I upgraded Win7 Home to W10 Home. Appears that setting did follow for Magician.

The OS, Win7 and above line states "Error in Obtaining Information" so apparently it doesn't know about W10 yet.

How do I move my operating system to a SSD. [​IMG]

CmmTch, Aug 27, 2015
  10. Steve C Win User
    You could install an OS then recover the image as mentioned in post 36. However, if you use Macrium Reflect and have the image on your external HDD, you can simply boot the Macrium recovery drive and recover the image from that - see my post 8.

Steve C, Aug 27, 2015
  11. ramram55 Win User
    This is the best suggestion so far, just as steve C wrote install ssd in your laptop and go from there, forget about partition, make things simple.

ramram55, Aug 27, 2015
  12. CmmTch Win User
    I use windows backup and create image to auto backup weekly to a second HDD, also used windows restore from backup image to put the image on the new drives. Didn't use any 3rd party software any of the three times I did this, the existing windows backup/image and restore from backup/image worked fine for me.

I'm not saying anything about anything when it comes to using 3rd party software for this function, everybody should use what they want, and most important, what works. Just saying that those functions already exist in the windows OS and should work for what you need.

Good luck *Smile

CmmTch, Aug 28, 2015
  13. WhyMe Win User

I think you'll find you did actually say something about something after all!

WhyMe, Aug 28, 2015
  14. CmmTch Win User
    You are correct sir *Wink

Maybe I should've prefaced it with "I'm just sayin" that way I'm absolved of any repercussions from anything I said *chuckle

I prefer to use items that come the OS as long as they can do what you need done, but I don't want to tell anybody what they should use, or not use.

CmmTch, Aug 28, 2015
  15. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    I don’t know how thread starter sondawg18401 is getting along – but as for me – well I would like to thank everyone for their help, tips, guides, and explanations how they do it. I find it really interesting and learn a lot from it – so I for one will be more than happy if they keep coming – I am getting to understand and learn many things much better. In a way it is better than just taking the first solution – although that might work fine (or not) and get the job done (or not – and find myself in deep....) – it might also mean I still don’t really understand what I just did, and have the same problem again at a later date.

It’s all very valuable stuff you are giving – my deepest thanks to everyone!

As to whether to use third party software or not – that is outside my competence – but personally think everyone should use whatever they think is best suited to their level and capabilities, etc. - the main thing is to get the job done safely – and in my case anyway – hopefully learn something along the way. So as I have said I am learning with all the replies, discovering the different ways, which will help me to decide the way most suited for me.

As for my situation: I’m still working on it as I have not had a lot of time and did not want to rush things (that’s when I make big mistakes) or try to do it when I was too tired (another mistakes time).

Anyway I decided to first clean up – so:

= got all the latest updates
    = used CCleaner and Clean Master for PC
    = then defragmented the drive
    = using Macrium made an Image Backup copy to external 500 GB drive

Since my device is real slow this took quite a bit of time

So with an updated/cleaned up/defragmented Backup Image on an external drive I checked out again the video (How to Clone Windows With Macrium Reflect Free – YouTube) that ramram55 kindly suggested and also a video that followed this – a video I think is quite good (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh4u...el=GadgetClass) – so I started to follow this GadgetClass video guide.

(In Macrium) Doing it how this guy did it I pulled each partition down – one for one in the right order - into the designated drive (my SSD 250 GB) and got as far as doing partition 5 (main partition) before my SSD was full – with another 3 still to go. All I had to do then – like the guy did – is to change the size of the main partition (5) in Macrium to allow enough space for the other 3 Partitions!

But I stopped there – being tired - and wondering can I get away (without causing problems) with not including Partition 8 (which is D: System Restore = but Windows 8= so useless to me)?

I did not know if not including this, if it would cause problems or not?

I also wondered why they give this System Restore Partition 60 GB when only 16.04 GB is being used? Is there some purpose to this?

Otherwise GadgetClass video guide seemed pretty straightforward and easy.

Thema:

1. How do I move my operating system to a SSD. - Similar Threads - move operating system

2. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  3. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  4. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  5. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  6. How do I change the operating system font?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the operating system font?: I want to change the pc font to the unone Pokémon font. I'm having struggles finding it. I have the font downloaded as well, I thought it would be in languages but I still can't find it......
  7. How do I disable Choose Operating System

How do I disable Choose Operating System: Hi,I reset my PC using Windows Media Tool.Now every time I restart my PC from a local account or Microsoft account, I am prompted to choose between Windows 10 Volume 2 or Volume 5.How do I stop that and always boot from Volume 2?Thanks in advanced for any help,...
  8. How do move windows to my SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do move windows to my SSD?: I do not have a Samsung SSD so I can't use their data migration tool submitted by /u/SmollBollBob [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i95p6j/how_do_move_windows_to_my_ssd/
  9. Moving operating system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving operating system: I have a 500 gig drive that is nearly full, i want to clone the drive onto a bigger m.2 ssd. thats simple enough, i want to seperate the the operating system from the files and programs so i can have the os on one drive and programs on another, ( deleting the os off the...
  10. Operating System not found, SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Operating System not found, SSD: Been searching for an answer for some time, but have an issue still not resolved. My son's PC is a self built PC, upgraded to Windows 10 when Win 10 came out. No issues until recently, when the PC started freezing at odd times (night, sleeping, browser on and just sitting...