Windows 10: How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

Discus and support How do I move my operating system to a SSD. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; xyz, Sounds like the gadgetclass video guide is easy. As long as things work for you, that is the way to go. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sondawg18401, Aug 26, 2015.

1. ramram55 Win User

How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

xyz, Sounds like the gadgetclass video guide is easy. As long as things work for you, that is the way to go.

ramram55, Aug 28, 2015
  2. XYZ
    xyz Win User

DONE! *Smile

But not without problems, or bumps along the road!*Confused

Yeah, I probably made it more complicated than it could have been, as has been suggested, but we all have areas of expertise and capabilities, and other areas where we are not so strong. Computer tech is one of these for me, but I am moving along the tech road, if snail wise. To me it just wasn’t as simple as many made it sound – simply from lack of experience, having done this before. There were some settings I had to change in BIOS that I hadn't known about and not just the ones mention here, but eventually found on YouTube. Not so easy, took a long while, but got it done, and learnt!

One of the reasons I bought the Samsung SSD (and not cheaper Crucial) was because it had Migration Software – HAH! JOKE! – turns out not usable for Windows 10!! Thanks Samsung for ripping me off!

So angry with Samsung I sent the Press Department a list of questions posted here: https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...dows-10-a.html

And once again my MANY THANKS for all the - HELP - ADVICE – RESPONSES – SUPPORT – SUGGESTIONS – AND OWN EXPERIENCES - helped me and I am sure it will help others too, thanks *Thumbs

3. larc919 Win User
    Easy way with benefit:

1- Buy a 2.5" HDD/SSD USB drive enclosure if you don't already have one
    2- Insert your new SSD into the enclosure and plug the USB connector into your laptop
    3- Use Macrium Reflect or similar program to clone your laptop HDD to the SSD either entirely or selectively
    4- Remove the HDD from your laptop and replace it with the SSD
    5- Insert your old HDD into the enclosure and use it as an external backup and storage drive (that's the benefit)

ETA: Oops! Didn't read the previous post before I posted. Well, maybe this will help somebody else.

larc919, Sep 1, 2015
  4. fredc Win User

When i installed an SSD in my laptop (only one drive), i took out the HDD and stuck in the SSD and used the Diskpart commands in Command Prompt that i was given by somebody who knows a lot more than me .

I then reinstalled the operating system on it .

Very simple and worked great , i checked those programs out like Macrium but never could figure it out lol.

fredc, Sep 1, 2015
  5. acmanten Win User
    Thanks to all , and I just ordered a 500 GB Samsung EVO SATA III, and should receive it - next week from my favorite ordering place. I will learn more about it and Macrium Trial software between now and then. Thanks to all for the info you have been posting about it. All be safe. Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 2, 2015
  6. fredc Win User

A 500 GB EVO huh, very nice . Bet your favorite ordering place is Newegg , Tiger Direct , Amazon or Rutikon or whatever they call it .

fredc, Sep 2, 2015
  7. acmanten Win User
    Thanks, and those are not the one but they are some of the best. Photography is an other big hobby that I enjoy so much. I never go anywhere without having a camera with me.... plus I like everyone else do have a cellphone.
    all be safe Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 2, 2015
  8. ramram55 Win User

Good。You made it. Never trust the hardware maker to get you a software that works. My experience very akin to yours. I got a Samsung SSD few years ago, comes with norton ghost software, it never works. With forum members help I was able to get it done. To make long story short. Now my 2008 era laptops work like a chime. With windows 10 everything is in good shape, hope it last for few more years.

ramram55, Sep 2, 2015
  9. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    No, now I know - and yes I am really happy it works fine!

BUT - I still have one thing to do - and find out how to do!

I just made a clone of the complete drive - so left everything as it was as I didn't want to be messing about - but it means I also moved to the SSD the outdated Windows 8 Recovery partition.

So now I have to find out if I should just delete (wipe) this whole partition - and if I can do this without messing up (bringing system out of balance or something) - or if I should replace the W8 with W10 - but if yes - how do you do this? I don't think it is possible to make a backup of system there?

I think the best would be just to remove this partition - but I am not sure.

But maybe I should start a new thread for this?

10. WhyMe Win User
    xyz, you already know the full abc of migrating to an SSD

This is a new subject. Best to start a whole new thread *Wink

WhyMe, Sep 6, 2015
  11. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    Okay - will do! (as to knowing the full abc of migrating to an SSD.....hmmm*Think)

But since I am now an official - know-it-all - I will declare this theme - for me - dead and buried (for now*Wink )

12. acmanten Win User
    Fredc: Thanks and the New SSD did arrive yesterday. I ordered it from B&H Photo... and they have been good to me for many years.. and lots of camera, and IT Stuff........ thanks, and be safe. Be safe... cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 8, 2015
  13. acmanten Win User

Mini-Tool drive copy info... save....

acmanten, Sep 8, 2015
  14. fredc Win User
    Congratulations pal , thats awesome . I am a little bummed about "Samsung Magician" supposedly not working correctly with Win 10 .

I could be wrong but thats what i hear .

fredc, Sep 8, 2015
  15. fredc Win User
    I just read the info in the MTP software , since i am not going to be cloning a drive to put on another drive i plan on just using the command prompt for "Diskpart" commands on my new SSD and will use a Win 10 ISO to install clean .

Hope that works , it has in the past , i just let Windows partition the drive.

fredc, Sep 8, 2015
Thema:

1. How do I move my operating system to a SSD. - Similar Threads - move operating system

2. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  3. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  4. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  5. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  6. How do I change the operating system font?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the operating system font?: I want to change the pc font to the unone Pokémon font. I'm having struggles finding it. I have the font downloaded as well, I thought it would be in languages but I still can't find it......
  7. How do I disable Choose Operating System

How do I disable Choose Operating System: Hi,I reset my PC using Windows Media Tool.Now every time I restart my PC from a local account or Microsoft account, I am prompted to choose between Windows 10 Volume 2 or Volume 5.How do I stop that and always boot from Volume 2?Thanks in advanced for any help,...
  8. How do move windows to my SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do move windows to my SSD?: I do not have a Samsung SSD so I can't use their data migration tool submitted by /u/SmollBollBob [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i95p6j/how_do_move_windows_to_my_ssd/
  9. Moving operating system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving operating system: I have a 500 gig drive that is nearly full, i want to clone the drive onto a bigger m.2 ssd. thats simple enough, i want to seperate the the operating system from the files and programs so i can have the os on one drive and programs on another, ( deleting the os off the...
  10. Operating System not found, SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Operating System not found, SSD: Been searching for an answer for some time, but have an issue still not resolved. My son's PC is a self built PC, upgraded to Windows 10 when Win 10 came out. No issues until recently, when the PC started freezing at odd times (night, sleeping, browser on and just sitting...