Windows 10: How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

Discus and support How do I move my operating system to a SSD. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Never thought to ask you Cliff, when you use MiniTool to change your partitions, IF you do, This can ONLY be done by using MiniTool from your DVD, in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sondawg18401, Aug 26, 2015.

1. OldMike65 Win User

How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

Never thought to ask you Cliff, when you use MiniTool to change your partitions, IF you do, This can ONLY be done by using MiniTool from your DVD, in others words, put in your minitool iso, which I hope you burned to a dvd, then put dvd in, and reboot. You can only make changes to your C-Drive and system reserved partitions from a boot disk. (like MiniTool)

Of course Always backup 1st....before playing....*Smile

OldMike65, Sep 11, 2015
  2. linw Win User

Not true. You can definitely work on C: drive in situ as Mini Tool finishes operations on the next reboot before windows gets loaded.

3. fredc Win User
    I installed my new SSD and just used "command prompt" with a few "Diskpart" commands but i think my reserved partition is too big , i was hoping for maybe 100mb not 500 .

Maybe "mini partition" can change this for me i don't know.

fredc, Sep 12, 2015
  4. linw Win User

450MB is standard so 500 is OK. Win 10 needs this size so you can't decide to chop it down.

You can delete it entirely and win 10 will run OK except you can't use the recovery feature, naturally.

Just carry on as is as 500MB isn't much, really. Congrats on your successful move to the SSD - don't poke it with a stick!

5. fredc Win User
    Thank you very much , was just about to poke it with a small stick but your saying don't do it , i'm glad you chimed in.

fredc, Sep 12, 2015
  6. linw Win User
    Happy computing, fred!

7. Word Man Win User
    Good job, fredc. I'm goning to guess you set this up MBR as opposed to GPT. With GPT, you may well have had the 100MB partition you were expecting PLUS a separate 400MB or so recovery partition.

Word Man, Sep 12, 2015
  8. acmanten Win User

Mike, Yes, I did get a download of the MiniTool Bootable 9.1 and also save it on CD as a bootable tool to use here.
    Thanks for that idea. .and thanks for all your help and comments about my HDD.

Busy day here today.... more later... cliff

acmanten, Sep 12, 2015
  9. fredc Win User
    I'll be computing but can't say i'll be happy about it .

Yes, MBR , i really don't have a clue what i'm doing but it sounds like it worked out OK .

fredc, Sep 12, 2015
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    Well could have actually done it with MBR as well. Mine originally was 100mb reserved, 450mg recovery, and the rest Primary drive. I deleted the 450, then added it to my Primary....no problem.

OldMike65, Sep 12, 2015
  11. acmanten Win User
    ok, and I am back for a while now... from reading the below - I see u guys know all the stuff.
    thanks for all the help.

Cliff

I have been messing with minitool a bit today, and just trying to learn some about partitions..

The minitool 9.1 appears to be a great program.

Here is what my disk 1 (drive c) and a usb attached 1tb toshiba drive says now.

as you can see my Toshiba is now GPT.....

Attachment 37191

I am still reading and learning... thanks

Cliff

acmanten, Sep 12, 2015
  12. Word Man Win User
    Cliff - I saved that picture and will discuss it with you offline when we talk about getting your Disk 1 image made with Macrium.

Word Man, Sep 12, 2015
  13. acmanten Win User

OK, and thanks. When ever you have time...
    I am excited about getting a clone or an image that I would be able to use later. Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 12, 2015
  14. acmanten Win User
    I got as far as this graphic below, but my Toshiba disk2 still needs to be formatted, and I have not found a place or a way to format disk 2 (toshiba) yet... but am going to bed now..

see graphic of minitool screen capture

Attachment 37240

It is Sunday here now and I will get some sleep.

tks cliff

acmanten, Sep 12, 2015
  15. Word Man Win User
    Cliff - see message I sent you on straightening out your Disk 2 (external Toshiba USB) and getting it formatted to use for taking a complete image of your Disk 1 with Macrium.

Word Man, Sep 12, 2015
Thema:

1. How do I move my operating system to a SSD. - Similar Threads - move operating system

2. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  3. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  4. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  5. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  6. How do I change the operating system font?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the operating system font?: I want to change the pc font to the unone Pokémon font. I'm having struggles finding it. I have the font downloaded as well, I thought it would be in languages but I still can't find it......
  7. How do I disable Choose Operating System

How do I disable Choose Operating System: Hi,I reset my PC using Windows Media Tool.Now every time I restart my PC from a local account or Microsoft account, I am prompted to choose between Windows 10 Volume 2 or Volume 5.How do I stop that and always boot from Volume 2?Thanks in advanced for any help,...
  8. How do move windows to my SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do move windows to my SSD?: I do not have a Samsung SSD so I can't use their data migration tool submitted by /u/SmollBollBob [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i95p6j/how_do_move_windows_to_my_ssd/
  9. Moving operating system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving operating system: I have a 500 gig drive that is nearly full, i want to clone the drive onto a bigger m.2 ssd. thats simple enough, i want to seperate the the operating system from the files and programs so i can have the os on one drive and programs on another, ( deleting the os off the...
  10. Operating System not found, SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Operating System not found, SSD: Been searching for an answer for some time, but have an issue still not resolved. My son's PC is a self built PC, upgraded to Windows 10 when Win 10 came out. No issues until recently, when the PC started freezing at odd times (night, sleeping, browser on and just sitting...