Windows 10: How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

Discus and support How do I move my operating system to a SSD. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Cliff - see message I sent you on straightening out your Disk 2 (external Toshiba USB) and getting it formatted to use for taking a complete image of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sondawg18401, Aug 26, 2015.

1. acmanten Win User

How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

OK, and received,, and I did all that. .. and all is fine..

The Graphic below shows my current Drive C (Windows 10) and I will be using Macrium to image to my USB Toshiba drive.
    I have made a bootable Macrium CD, and it boots OK - so I will be doing that soon.
    Attachment 37360
    I believe all is good and ready to boot from CD, and make the IMAGE with Macrium.

...and of course I will be watching from football... and for sure watching the Dallas Game tonight..
    Thanks so much.... Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 12, 2015
  2. acmanten Win User

Word Man

When trying to read data Macrium DATA file it was getting a read error, and it just stopped.....

and I will probably just make the data again.. Your comments.. but see this graphic of what minitool sees now,.

Attachment 37400

I am on-hold waiting for your comment... I have never seen any read errors from any of my HDs.
    I am in no hurry.... tks Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 13, 2015
  3. Word Man Win User
    Cleiff - see my private message about setting up a disk check from within Windows to run on a restart (chkdsk /f c: from an elevated cmd prompt).

Word Man, Sep 13, 2015
  4. acmanten Win User

I just did that, and yes it did finish the cleaning and here I am on it again...

Should I use Macrium again now, and try making the IMAGE again now ?
    thanks Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 13, 2015
  5. Word Man Win User
    You could but here's the thing - you should repeat the chkdsk procedure AGAIN and make sure it comes back clean "no errors found" this time. IF IT DOESN'T, stop and feel free to phone me. We don't want your C: drive going too far south and getting where it can't even boot. We can try a different kind of option for imaging in Macrium if need be to at least make sure you don't lose any of your data.

Another thing - I'm operating under the assumption that the read errors and abort of your Macrium image occurred while it was still imaging Partition 4 (the OS) - is that correct?

Word Man, Sep 13, 2015
  6. acmanten Win User
    When I do the chkdsk /f C:
    then restart, the system does does the restart and you do not get to see it doing the chkdsk command...
    you only get to see the note at the bottom that say "scanning and repairing 0 through 60, and then later 100%
    and it re-inits after that bck to a Microsoft login screen. So I just did it again before starting this email.
    I am not sure what partition it was in when Macrium was see a read-error.
    Your comments ???
    Cliff

acmanten, Sep 13, 2015
  7. acmanten Win User
    Should I try to do the Marcrium Image copy again to try to see where the error is in the data...????

acmanten, Sep 13, 2015
  8. Word Man Win User

At this point, since you've run chkdsk /f C: two times, it should have repaired the problem (if that WAS the problem and it wasn't very serious) and it's probably worth the effort to go ahead and boot into rescue CD and try again. This time, keep an eye on it and let's see if it completes - if not, WHERE it aborts - watch your operations screen and note which partition (1 through 7) it is performing operations on - partition 4 is definitely where it will sit most of the time.

Some other things after you try above, that we can discuss offline if need be:
    A) You can attempt the image by running Macrium inside Windows and you have more logging available to look at and see exactly where it aborts and more precisely why.
    B) You can run chkdsk again but redirect that text that scrolls so quickly into a file for you to look at and see what it says. Chkdsk can also be run on your D: drive but let's see if we know which drive Macrium is aborting on first - if it keeps aborting.

Word Man, Sep 13, 2015
  9. fredc Win User
    I have run those chkdsk and sfc/scannow commands while in "safe mode" , sometimes you get different results , sfc/scannow found corruption and successfully repaired them on my system , the same command run without safe boot found nothing .

fredc, Sep 13, 2015
  10. acmanten Win User
    Ok, and I will try all that again tomorrow after about 4pm CST... if it aborts, and I will note that..
    ,yes, OK, and I have read you said above..
    after I try all that tomorrow, I will give you a call. thanks so much.. Ballgame time now.. be safe Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 13, 2015
  11. Word Man Win User
    OK, Cliff.

Actually, we'll be able to check on your chkdsk results in your event viewer in Windows if need be but I'll wait to see how your next try at imaging with Macrium goes first.

Word Man, Sep 13, 2015
  12. acmanten Win User
    Thanks for all your help. We can do anything with it later. At least the Dallas Cowboys finally got their act together last night and took the W with them. You and I can check anything you wish during this week. I am really not in a hurry to get it changed over to my SSD except that it will be faster.
    Thanks, be safe.. cliff M.

acmanten, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I move my operating system to a SSD. - Similar Threads - move operating system

2. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  3. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  4. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  5. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  6. How do I change the operating system font?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the operating system font?: I want to change the pc font to the unone Pokémon font. I'm having struggles finding it. I have the font downloaded as well, I thought it would be in languages but I still can't find it......
  7. How do I disable Choose Operating System

How do I disable Choose Operating System: Hi,I reset my PC using Windows Media Tool.Now every time I restart my PC from a local account or Microsoft account, I am prompted to choose between Windows 10 Volume 2 or Volume 5.How do I stop that and always boot from Volume 2?Thanks in advanced for any help,...
  8. How do move windows to my SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do move windows to my SSD?: I do not have a Samsung SSD so I can't use their data migration tool submitted by /u/SmollBollBob [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i95p6j/how_do_move_windows_to_my_ssd/
  9. Moving operating system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving operating system: I have a 500 gig drive that is nearly full, i want to clone the drive onto a bigger m.2 ssd. thats simple enough, i want to seperate the the operating system from the files and programs so i can have the os on one drive and programs on another, ( deleting the os off the...
  10. Operating System not found, SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Operating System not found, SSD: Been searching for an answer for some time, but have an issue still not resolved. My son's PC is a self built PC, upgraded to Windows 10 when Win 10 came out. No issues until recently, when the PC started freezing at odd times (night, sleeping, browser on and just sitting...