Windows 10: How do I move my OS to another drive?

Discus and support How do I move my OS to another drive? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I want to quickly move my OS from my current physically damaged drive to my new one and recover the lost system files with sfc /scannow. Is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sheridan_well, Feb 23, 2021.

1. How do I move my OS to another drive?

I want to quickly move my OS from my current physically damaged drive to my new one and recover the lost system files with sfc /scannow. Is that possible?

:)

Sheridan_well, Feb 23, 2021
  2. little cat, Feb 23, 2021
  3. C_C
    c_C Win User
    DVD Drive issues.

The games used to run, now apparently the disks don't even read.

Go to Device Manager and remove the DVD
    Scan for hardware changes and update driver as OS suggests

Still not working?

1) Clean the heads.
    2) Run a diagnostic program on the drive.

Nothing else has changed about your system aside from the OS?

Revert to XP Home, assuming you don't find the source of the problem in steps above.

4. How do I move my OS to another drive?

How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

How do I move my OS to another drive?

1. How do I move my OS to another drive? - Similar Threads - move another drive

2. How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?: I'm trying to move windows onto my NVME drive and everywhere I look has a lengthy process about backing up files. I've already wiped my PC clean, as I'm starting on a new slate. What is the fastest way to just move the OS?...
  3. How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?: I'm trying to move windows onto my NVME drive and everywhere I look has a lengthy process about backing up files. I've already wiped my PC clean, as I'm starting on a new slate. What is the fastest way to just move the OS?...
  4. How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to move My windows OS to another drive??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move My windows OS to another drive??: I have a really full C drive since it only has 100GB on my laptop. I have another drive that is 500 gb which I am using and is integrated in the laptop that I want to move windows to. I first of all- dont want to lose any data my D: drive already has data and apps in it so...
  6. How to move My windows OS to another drive??

How to move My windows OS to another drive??: I have a really full C drive since it only has 100GB on my laptop. I have another drive that is 500 gb which I am using and is integrated in the laptop that I want to move windows to. I first of all- dont want to lose any data my D: drive already has data and apps in it so...
  7. How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?: I had Windows 10 Pro installed on a 256 GB NVMe SSD. I decided to try out Windows 11 Pro and installed it onto a new 500 GB NVMe SSD in a dual-boot configuration. I've since decided that I like Win 11 better and deleted the Windows 10 Pro volume. I've tried to replace the 256...
  8. How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?

How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?: I had Windows 10 Pro installed on a 256 GB NVMe SSD. I decided to try out Windows 11 Pro and installed it onto a new 500 GB NVMe SSD in a dual-boot configuration. I've since decided that I like Win 11 better and deleted the Windows 10 Pro volume. I've tried to replace the 256...
  9. How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive?: Hi, I've recently bought an SSD for my PC and I'd like to get a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. Currently I have an HDD split into partition C for the OS (Windows 7) and partition D for other stuff. I thought about creating a new partition on the SSD and installing...
  10. Can't move my OS to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't move my OS to another drive: Trying to move Windows 10 from my 120GB SSD to a new 500 GB SSD, but I'm getting an error: Windows did not find any disk which it can use for recreating volumes present in backup. (0x80042414) Here's what I've tried so far: Following these instructions, I've created a...