Windows 10: How do I move my Windows 10 license to a new hard drive?

Discus and support How do I move my Windows 10 license to a new hard drive? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've got a 5 year old desktop computer. Back then platter hard drives were what was used. It's given me 5 years of service, but it has become no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Doctor-Who, Apr 19, 2020.

1. How do I move my Windows 10 license to a new hard drive?

I've got a 5 year old desktop computer. Back then platter hard drives were what was used. It's given me 5 years of service, but it has become no longer reliable. Therefore, I've decided to replace it with an solid state drive SSD, which arrived yesterday. Now I'm just waiting for a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, to house the SSD in my PC's hard drive case.

Honestly, I'm not looking forward to reinstalling all of my software that I've accumulated over the years. There's certainly some which I'm not going to reinstall. That's my problem, I won't go into that here. But what I would like to ask about is how to move my Windows 10 Professional license from my old hard drive to the new SSD?

:)

Doctor-Who, Apr 19, 2020
  2. GT63_19 Win User

Reuse license to Install Windows 10 on a new hard drive

I'm installing a new hard drive on a PC hard drive that failed, it was upgrade from windows 7 to 10, can I reuse the license? and if so, do I have to install window 7 first then upgrade or just install windows 10? what are the steps to do this, do contact
    Microsoft?

GT63_19, Apr 19, 2020
  3. cjoesgirl Win User
    new hard drive windows license.

can I use the license key from a windows 7 computer that was upgraded to windows 10 on a new hard drive for that same computer. My original hard drive failed.

cjoesgirl, Apr 19, 2020
  4. How do I move my Windows 10 license to a new hard drive?

Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

How do I move my Windows 10 license to a new hard drive?

1. How do I move my Windows 10 license to a new hard drive? - Similar Threads - move license hard

2. How do I move a Windows 10/11 license to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I move a Windows 10/11 license to a new computer?: What I want to do:Move a Windows 10/11 license from one computer hosted at DataMart to their new data center?Situation:I have a dedicated PC hosted at DataMart running Windows 10/11 Retail, 512GB SSD system drive, and 6TB HDD data drive used for intermediate backups using...
  3. How to move digital license for windows 10 to the same laptop new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to move digital license for windows 10 to the same laptop new hard drive: Hi All, I have purchased win 10 pro in Nov 2016. Now my laptop hard drive is failed and replaced with a new hard drive. Now how can I install back win 10 pro in new hard drive as I don't have the key or I have not noted down earlier. I can't find any key information in order...
  4. How to move digital license for windows 10 to the same laptop new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move digital license for windows 10 to the same laptop new hard drive: Hi All, I have purchased win 10 pro in Nov 2016. Now my laptop hard drive is failed and replaced with a new hard drive. Now how can I install back win 10 pro in new hard drive as I don't have the key or I have not noted down earlier. I can't find any key information in order...
  5. How to move digital license for windows 10 to the same laptop new hard drive

6. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  7. Moving windows to a new hard drive

Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  8. How do I move my Windows license over to new a hard drive?

How do I move my Windows license over to new a hard drive?: Hi all,I'm installing a new SSD in my computer that's going to be replacing my current one so I will be installing a new copy of Windows 10 on it, my current license key is linked to my Microsoft account.Once I sign into my account on the new Windows installation, is there...
  9. Installing Windows on new Hard drive-Do I keep my license?

Installing Windows on new Hard drive-Do I keep my license?: Hi My hard drive failed and I was wondering if I install a new drive and load fresh Windows, do I keep my license? At present I use a digital license. Also I'm NOT changing the motherboard. I have no recovery disc or anything, it would be a clean, fresh install. Thank...
  10. Moving to a New Hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving to a New Hard drive: So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my old drive since it is entirely dead I still have Windows 10 connected to my account so, how do I get my account in Windows...