Windows 10: How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?

Discus and support How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had Windows 10 Pro installed on a 256 GB NVMe SSD. I decided to try out Windows 11 Pro and installed it onto a new 500 GB NVMe SSD in a dual-boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Master Zoen, Sep 20, 2022.

1. How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?

I had Windows 10 Pro installed on a 256 GB NVMe SSD. I decided to try out Windows 11 Pro and installed it onto a new 500 GB NVMe SSD in a dual-boot configuration. I've since decided that I like Win 11 better and deleted the Windows 10 Pro volume. I've tried to replace the 256 GB SSD with a faster 2 TB PCIe Gen4 SSD, only to discover that the boot manager is on it and the system won't boot without it installed. How do I move the boot manager to the drive with Win 11 installed?

:)

Master Zoen, Sep 20, 2022

2. Windows Boot Manager

I recently installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe drive to replace my current 860 EVO boot drive. I used the Samsung Data Migration tool to clone the boot drive and then restarted the PC. After numerous failed attempts to reboot, I noticed that there were
    now two Windows Boot Managers in the UEFI boot priority list. Tried rearranging them, but it still would not boot. Ultimately, I removed the 970 EVO Plus and eventually got it to boot into Windows with the 860 EVO SSD. However, I still have the two Windows
    Boot Managers in the UEFI boot priority list.

What might have caused this and how do I remove one of the Boot Managers?

RickJohnsonJ, Sep 20, 2022
  3. xkm1948 Win User
    Migrating Win10 to NVMe SSD

I am going to try what you suggested. I just tried using Linux Mint boot cd to hopefully erase the SSD. Unfortunately there seems to be some sort of encryption on the SATA SSD that prevents Linux from managing the SSD. Funny thing is I never used bitlocker on the SATA SSD.

xkm1948, Sep 20, 2022
  4. How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?

USB Drive showing "Not Migrated" in Device manager

Forgot this one on the list, my bad

Yes, I have tried the steps above and it did not resolve the issue.

My pen drive is still showing "not migrated"

Any further help would be appreciated, thanks!

Matthew 'DoubleRainbow'Walker, Sep 20, 2022
Thema:

How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?

1. How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS? - Similar Threads - move UEFI boot

2. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  3. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  4. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?: I had Windows 10 Pro installed on a 256 GB NVMe SSD. I decided to try out Windows 11 Pro and installed it onto a new 500 GB NVMe SSD in a dual-boot configuration. I've since decided that I like Win 11 better and deleted the Windows 10 Pro volume. I've tried to replace the 256...
  6. How do I move my OS to another drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I move my OS to another drive?: I want to quickly move my OS from my current physically damaged drive to my new one and recover the lost system files with sfc /scannow. Is that possible?...
  7. Moving of OS from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving of OS from one laptop to another: My laptop is almost dead. It has Windows 10 OS. I have another laptop, which is in decent condition. How do I move Windows license from broken laptop to a new laptop?...
  8. Moving from one boot drive to another with a fresh install.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving from one boot drive to another with a fresh install.: Hello, I am moving from my current build which has a 1Tb hdd as the boot drive and another 500gb hdd to the same computer but with an added 500gb ssd which I will be booting windows off of. Now, I am limited by internet and do not want to reinstall all of my programs. Is...
  9. Windows User migration (and data migration!) from one OS to another, but also from one...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows User migration (and data migration!) from one OS to another, but also from one...: We are on the verge of moving over appr. 100 colleagues from a newly acquired company. The users on the old 2012 Domain are running a mix of Windows 7, 8 and 10 and Office 2013 and 2016, with their data stored locally on their PC’s. Our own 2016 Domain is setup with Office...
  10. How do I move a secondary OS partition to a new hard drive without moving the primary one?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I move a secondary OS partition to a new hard drive without moving the primary one?: Hello. I have a bit of a unique situation. I just now got a 3 TB hard drive I plan to run Virtual Machines on. On the existing 1 TB hard drive that came with my Dell XPS 8900, I have a dual-boot setup with Windows 10 (OEM install) and Windows 7 (manual install). The Win10...