Windows 10: How do I move windows 10 to an ssd from an hdd?

Discus and support How do I move windows 10 to an ssd from an hdd? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just got a new ssd. Currently my boot drive is my old hdd. I want my new boot drive to be my ssd, but i still want to use my hdd for storing things.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jesseo5804, May 8, 2020.

1. How do I move windows 10 to an ssd from an hdd?

I just got a new ssd. Currently my boot drive is my old hdd. I want my new boot drive to be my ssd, but i still want to use my hdd for storing things. Do i just have to change my boot drive in bios? Or what do i have to do?

submitted by /u/jesseo5804
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/jesseo5804, May 8, 2020

2. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, May 8, 2020
  3. Windows 10 on HDD to a new SSD

I have recently replaced the 500 GB HDD in my laptop running Windows 10 with a 480 GB SSD. The laptop was fully configured with my applications and other settings. The steps I took were as follows:

1) Shrink the C: drive so it was significantly smaller than the SSD (by at least 100 GB) using the Disk Management tools in W10.

2) Copy all the files from D: onto an external HDD.

3) Download Ubuntu Linux and burn on to a DVD.

4) Download Windows 10 from Download Windows 10 and burn this on to a DVD.

5) Close down and boot the laptop from the Ubuntu DVD from step 3 (I used a USB DVD rewriter).

6) Plug in the external HDD.

7) Open a Linux terminal and cd to the external HDD.

8) Copy the C: partition to the external HDD using a command such as:

dd bs=1024k if=/dev/sda1 of=C-drive

where sda1 is adjusted to point to the correct partition.

9) Close down and remove the external HDD.

10) Remove the HDD and replace with the SSD.

11) Perform a clean install Windows 10 from the DVD from step 4. Deleting all partitions from the SSD if it has had any created on it. When it asked for the product key, there was an option to enter it later. Make sure that the C: drive that is created is
    the same size or bigger than the C: drive was on the HDD.

12) Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 then run the command

dd bs=1024k if=C-drive of=/dev/sda4

With the clean install of W10 64bit, sda4 was the C: drive on the SSD after the installation.

13) Reboot from the SSD. The first couple of times my laptop reported errors and went into repair and diagnostic cycles. The last one said something like Reboot or Go to further tools. I cannot remember the exact messages but the meaning was as I have described.
    I rebooted and Windows 10 came up and ran perfectly.

14) With the SSD working I shrank the C: drive a few GB to make sure the physical space was the same size as the actual filesystem.

15) Create a D: format it and copy all the saved files on to the new D: from the external HDD.

Job done. All my applications worked perfectly and the laptop connected to my wireless network without needing the pass phrase re-entering. I had tried several other ways of cloning the HDD to the SSD, but as the SSD was 20 GB smaller this was the only way
    I managed to get it to work.

I hope this helps others to make the HDD to SSD transition.

Grangeland, May 8, 2020
  4. How do I move windows 10 to an ssd from an hdd?

Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.

Hi,

I'm thinking about updating my 2 years old laptop from HDD to SSD. Since my HDD is still in working condition, I plan to use it as an external HDD. I have a pre-installed Windows 10 Home on my laptop.
    Is it possible for me to transfer it to the new SSD while upgrading? If then please tell me the steps to follow.

Thanks and Regards,

Arjun.

Arjun Dinesh, May 8, 2020
Thema:

How do I move windows 10 to an ssd from an hdd?

1. How do I move windows 10 to an ssd from an hdd? - Similar Threads - move ssd hdd

2. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  3. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  4. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How do I move OneDrive from a HDD that is inaccessible to an SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I move OneDrive from a HDD that is inaccessible to an SSD?: My Windows 10 is installed on my SSD (C:) drive, while my OneDrive was linked to my HDD (D:). Something happened that corrupted my D:, so I am unable to use it anymore. Now, whenever I start my computer and try to do things to my desktop, I get the prompt "D:\OneDrive\Desktop...
  7. Moving Windows 10 to an SSD from HDD

Moving Windows 10 to an SSD from HDD: So I'm upgrading my current PC replacing mobo, cpu, ram, and adding an m.2 ssd but I would like to transfer windows 10, and only windows 10 to the ssd to be the boot drive and game storage device while keeping the hdd and what's on it intact, what would be the best way to go...
  8. How to move window from HDD to SSD

How to move window from HDD to SSD: How to move window from HDD to SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-window-from-hdd-to-ssd/e943886a-a104-4826-95b3-1ccda93b1107
  9. Moving from HDD to SSD

Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...
  10. How do I permanetly move a file from the SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I permanetly move a file from the SSD to HDD?: I just bought a new computer with both SSD and HDD. For some reason all screen captures are being saved directly to the C drive (SSD). I have moved the captures file from the C drive to the D drive (HDD), however anytime I take a new screen shot the image capture is still...