Windows 10: How do I mute my internal laptop speakers leaving external speakers on

Discus and support How do I mute my internal laptop speakers leaving external speakers on in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm a newbie. Windows 10. Incredibly I was innocently dusting my Del laptop keys when my computer sound (usually set on Pandora music)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tmasierra, Dec 19, 2019.

1. tmasierra Win User

How do I mute my internal laptop speakers leaving external speakers on

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie. Windows 10. Incredibly I was innocently dusting my Del laptop keys when my computer sound (usually set on Pandora music) was muted, showing an 'x' over speaker icon on taskbar. Previously I could just click it to get it unmuted. This time it took about two hours of my time. Now I have sound coming out of both my external speakers and my internal speakers, when previously just plugging in my external speakers would mute my internal, or built-in, speakers. Is there any way I can mute my internal speakers without muting my external speakers without spending the rest of the day in troubleshooting, involving detailed examination of my motherboard and countless other steps?
    Thanks for listening!
    tma

:)

tmasierra, Dec 19, 2019

2. External Speaker Fails to Mute Internal Speaker

I am running Windows 10 Professional with current up-to-date updates on my Dell Inspiron Laptop.

Several days ago I noticed that plugging in current headset no longer muted the internal speaker. I know that it is not the headset as it works perfectly on another computer.
    Doing a web search has not resulted in finding the problem, let alone a solution. Further my anti-virus is up-to-date, as are the microphone and speaker drivers.

Pointers in the direction of a solution will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

stephenmolnar, Dec 19, 2019
  3. Switching off internal computer speakers

This is a subject that has been raised before but Microsoft seems to refuse to answer. As a result of a previous update to Windows 10, the internal computer speakers work as well as the external sound system. There is no apparent way to switch off the
    internal speakers and just have the external sound system working. A previous contributor suggested that Microsoft had a solution to this bug but wouldn't elaborate. This seemed very childish.

I ask the question again: Could someone give a step by step process for switching off internal computer speakers AND leaving the external speakers working. I have tried every setting but nothing fixes the problem. Surely this isn't rocket science and
    it would be easy for Microsoft to write a bug fix???

Lack of action just infuriates users unnecessarily.

JohnTrevorXX, Dec 19, 2019
  4. Joe913 Win User

How to disable the internal speakers when connecting external speakers?

The instructions for connecting headphones/external speakers inplies that the internal speakers in my HP Envy 23-d260qd computer will be disabled when the headphones/external speakers are connected. This is not the case - both the speakers and the
    headphones work together, thus defeating the purpose of headphones. There seems to be some suggestion that this problem has been caused by an update to Windows10. I have been connecting of headphones or external speakers and would mechanically disabled the
    internal speakers as happens with molst audio equipment. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Joe913, Dec 19, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I mute my internal laptop speakers leaving external speakers on - Similar Threads - mute internal laptop

2. Internal speakers not recognized as device, how do I get the internal speakers back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal speakers not recognized as device, how do I get the internal speakers back?: I have a Dell Latitude 5430 running Windows 11. Audio output settings correctly showed both internal speakers and USB headphones. I had a temporary problem with headphones and mistakenly clicked "Don't Allow" button on the internal speakers in System>Sound>Properties. Now the...
  3. Internal speakers not recognized as device, how do I get the internal speakers back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal speakers not recognized as device, how do I get the internal speakers back?: I have a Dell Latitude 5430 running Windows 11. Audio output settings correctly showed both internal speakers and USB headphones. I had a temporary problem with headphones and mistakenly clicked "Don't Allow" button on the internal speakers in System>Sound>Properties. Now the...
  4. Laptop internal speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop internal speakers: Since updating my laptop to Windows 11 my laptop doesn't seem to find the internal speakers. The sound icon on the taskbar show mute. If I click to the settings there is nothing I can see about internalspeakers and I'm unable to change the volume levels....
  5. Laptop internal speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop internal speakers: Since updating my laptop to Windows 11 my laptop doesn't seem to find the internal speakers. The sound icon on the taskbar show mute. If I click to the settings there is nothing I can see about internalspeakers and I'm unable to change the volume levels....
  6. My external speakers on my gaming laptop are not working but my internal speakers that are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external speakers on my gaming laptop are not working but my internal speakers that are...: Yesterday I checked for updates under my windows update tab and it searched for updates and find some and did the update process like normal but afterwards I didn't have no sound on my gaming laptop. I got windows automatic chat system help which fixed my sound on my gaming...
  7. speakers muting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    speakers muting: my speakers quit working on my laptop, which is an HP using realtek audio. I have lost my sound, it is very low and if you put the speakers near your ear you can hardly hear anything. When I try to do things with the speaker settings and try to play something, it may work for...
  8. How do I mute microphone in Speakers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I mute microphone in Speakers?: The microphone sounds are really annoying and I used to be able to mute it through Sounds > Speakers (G533 Gaming Headset) > Levels > Microphone. All I see now is just the slider for Speakers. Here's what it should look like: Disabling Microphone playback. I thought it could...
  9. How do I change speaker connection from internal to external?

How do I change speaker connection from internal to external?: I have a client that has a PC that the sound emits from the internal speaker. The OS Window 10, PC is a Dell. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-speaker-connection-from-internal/159292dd-0f6b-46bf-ad29-bbd51ffd6d37
  10. External Speaker Fails to Mute Internal Speaker

External Speaker Fails to Mute Internal Speaker: I am running Windows 10 Professional with current up-to-date updates on my Dell Inspiron Laptop. Several days ago I noticed that plugging in current headset no longer muted the internal speaker. I know that it is not the headset as it works perfectly on another computer....