Windows 10: How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file?

Discus and support How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a website backup in a gz file. In Windows 7, I could penetrate this file without, I'm pretty sure, any add-on software. I think 7's compressed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by asus2016, Aug 21, 2020.

1. asus2016 Win User

How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file?

I have a website backup in a gz file.

In Windows 7, I could penetrate this file without, I'm pretty sure, any add-on software. I think 7's compressed file tools opened the .gz file fine, and then each subfolder and its contents and subfolders was navigable.

In Windows 10, I had to install a zip utility - I picked 7zip - and that easily extracted the "contents" of the .gz file. But what I got was a 45 Mb file - not folder - just named with the contents of the archive. No extension. Just "yourarchive" (the name of the actual archive) as a file name. And 7zip can't do anything with this file. Even if I change the extension to zip.

I think in Windows 7, the gz file would extract to a compressed folder (so name but no extension), that could then be explored.

So my question is what do I do with this big file-not-folder (that is probably actually a folder) in Windows 10, so that I may explore it?

:)

asus2016, Aug 21, 2020

2. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Aug 21, 2020
  3. meebers Win User
    RetailDemo Offline Content?

Was cleaning up my 10162 install using cleanmgr. One option on the list was "RetailDemo Offline Content", it was 100MB. Not sure what this is, before I delete it. Suggestions?

meebers, Aug 21, 2020
  4. How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file?

Print content of files in a folder

I'm looking for a way to print the content of files (not a list of the files) that I have placed in a folder that I created, without opening each file individually.

JohnAlaska, Aug 21, 2020
Thema:

How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file?

1. How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file? - Similar Threads - open contents contents

2. .gz files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .gz files: Hi all, so recently, i upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10, and i want to start a program that can be launch from the launcher. i launch the launcher, but nothing happened and the launcher came back. i contact the developers of the launcher to see why and they said that some...
  3. How to search for exact match in file contents?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to search for exact match in file contents?: Is it possible to specify an exact match when searching for text within the contents of files? I am trying to use the search bar in the upper right corner of Windows Explorer to search for an exact text string in a folder full of PDFs and have tried the following methods...
  4. Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????: I have maybe 500 files in a folder, one file for each model of our products. The thing about the model names is that the number of the model is at the end of the file name, like C19QZHW203 and the name of the next model number might be C19WRZT204, in other words, I cant sort...
  5. Duplicate File Directories & Their Contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate File Directories & Their Contents: I just noticed that several directories in my documents folder have been duplicated exactly including the contents. I have tried to delete these duplicate directories but then my shortcuts no longer work. The backup that I made just 2 days ago does not have these duplicates....
  6. temporary internet files folder how do I delete contents

temporary internet files folder how do I delete contents: I use disk cleanup it shows temporary internet files folder at 2.28gb ,but won't delete it please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temporary-internet-files-folder-how-do-i-delete/6eed5b50-079e-4a7a-b72d-26eb4a8d971e"
  7. Print content of files in a folder

Print content of files in a folder: I'm looking for a way to print the content of files (not a list of the files) that I have placed in a folder that I created, without opening each file individually....
  8. How do I report inappropriate content? Pedophilia

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I report inappropriate content? Pedophilia: [ATTACH] The girls in that picture are clearly pre-pubescent. sorry if this is posted twice, couldn't tell if the first time was successfully submitted....
  9. Unable to open contents in Mail.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to open contents in Mail.: I am unable to read the contents of my email because windows will not download it when click on the connection" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-contents-in-mail/140bd792-47a5-4782-b3b1-eca1e4c7d8e3
  10. How do I 'remove' a profile and all of its contents?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I 'remove' a profile and all of its contents?: Hi, I am running windows 10 and selling my tower to a friend. I want to clear all of my data and essentially 'erase' my profile, and create a new admin account for my friend to use. Can someone direct me to a guide or explain how to do this? 64431