Windows 10: How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file?

Discus and support How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a website backup in a gz file. In Windows 7, I could penetrate this file without, I'm pretty sure, any add-on software. I think 7's compressed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by asus2016, Aug 21, 2020.

1. asus2016 Win User

How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file?

I have a website backup in a gz file.

In Windows 7, I could penetrate this file without, I'm pretty sure, any add-on software. I think 7's compressed file tools opened the .gz file fine, and then each subfolder and its contents and subfolders was navigable.

In Windows 10, I had to install a zip utility - I picked 7zip - and that easily extracted the "contents" of the .gz file. But what I got was a 45 Mb file - not folder - just named with the contents of the archive. No extension. Just "yourarchive" (the name of the actual archive) as a file name. And 7zip can't do anything with this file. Even if I change the extension to zip.

I think in Windows 7, the gz file would extract to a compressed folder (so name but no extension), that could then be explored.

So my question is what do I do with this big file-not-folder (that is probably actually a folder) in Windows 10, so that I may explore it?

:)

asus2016, Aug 21, 2020

2. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Aug 21, 2020
  3. meebers Win User
    RetailDemo Offline Content?

Was cleaning up my 10162 install using cleanmgr. One option on the list was "RetailDemo Offline Content", it was 100MB. Not sure what this is, before I delete it. Suggestions?

meebers, Aug 21, 2020
  4. How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file?

Print content of files in a folder

I'm looking for a way to print the content of files (not a list of the files) that I have placed in a folder that I created, without opening each file individually.

JohnAlaska, Aug 21, 2020
Thema:

How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file?

1. How do I open the contents of the contents of a gz file? - Similar Threads - open contents contents

2. File Contents Preview

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Contents Preview: I am no longer able to preview the contents of txt and some other files in File Explorer. I confirmed the selection of "Preview Content" is checked and also rebooted with no change. I did a search for "File Preview" but didn't get any results. Suggests for getting preview...
  3. File Contents Preview

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Contents Preview: I am no longer able to preview the contents of txt and some other files in File Explorer. I confirmed the selection of "Preview Content" is checked and also rebooted with no change. I did a search for "File Preview" but didn't get any results. Suggests for getting preview...
  4. File Contents Preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Searching contents of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching contents of files: How do I search the contents of files, when in a window, on my Win 10 PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-contents-of-files/fcfa5df8-ea72-4a64-8ef5-143da56bb26e
  6. Searching contents of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching contents of files: How do I search the contents of files, when in a window, on my Win 10 PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-contents-of-files/fcfa5df8-ea72-4a64-8ef5-143da56bb26e
  7. Searching contents of files

8. .gz files

.gz files: Do I need to keep .gz files on windows 10?Taking up much space and date from 12/20 to 12/21. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gz-files/6f757cd6-ee3b-42b6-b5f4-81287e43931a
  9. file contents view

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file contents view: When I open file explorer and open a file, all the icons display as if they are empty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-contents-view/232cd89d-c8c1-4f4e-a8e8-9d49a8dff7e8
  10. Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????: I have maybe 500 files in a folder, one file for each model of our products. The thing about the model names is that the number of the model is at the end of the file name, like C19QZHW203 and the name of the next model number might be C19WRZT204, in other words, I cant sort...