Windows 10: How do I open the existing instance of an app from another virtual desktop?

Discus and support How do I open the existing instance of an app from another virtual desktop? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; A simple scenario. I am on Virtual Desktop 1. Google Chrome is running on VD 2. I have Chrome pinned to my taskbar. Now I click the Chrome icon on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mrdaihard, Jul 2, 2020.

1. mrdaihard Win User

How do I open the existing instance of an app from another virtual desktop?

A simple scenario. I am on Virtual Desktop 1. Google Chrome is running on VD 2. I have Chrome pinned to my taskbar.

Now I click the Chrome icon on taskbar on VD 1, expecting Windows 10 to jump to the existing instance of Chrome running on VD 2. However, this opens a new instance of Chrome on VD 1. That's not the behaviour I want.

I tried right-clicking the Chrome icon and selecting "Google Chrome" instead of "New Window." Again, it opens a new instance of Chrome on VD 1.

In KDE Plasma, by contrast, you can click the app icon on the taskbar and choose any of the existing instances to jump to. If that instance is on a different VD, you will be redirected to it. If you do want a new instance, you can right-click the icon and choose "Start New Instance."

How can I access the existing instance of an application running on a different virtual desktop?

Thank you

:)

mrdaihard, Jul 2, 2020

2. can't open new instances of an application from taskbar

I have any program open. I right click the shortcut for it in the taskbar and a list of option comes out. But then when i try to open another instance of the program from that list by clicking on the option with the icon and program name, nothing happens.
    How do I make it so that it opens another instance instead of doing nothing?

sasuke10125, Jul 2, 2020
  3. How to open app on another virtual desktop?

Hi Radim,

Thank you for your response with the current update on the issue.

As per the issue description, currently there is no option to set File Explorer or a certain program to open specific in a particular Virtual Desktop.I suggest you to provide your valuable feedback and suggestion in the
    Windows Feedback app.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using virtual desktop, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 2, 2020
  4. kamaki007 Win User

New instances of an application open in incorrect virtual desktop

When virtual desktop was first introduced it worked fine. You could open multiple instances of an app in another desktop without being auto swiped back to former desktop where app is already running. After some Windows updates I had the same issues which
    is very counterproductive.

kamaki007, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

1. How do I open the existing instance of an app from another virtual desktop? - Similar Threads - open existing instance

2. On Windows 11 virtual desktops, how do I force it to create new instances of applications...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On Windows 11 virtual desktops, how do I force it to create new instances of applications...: I am new to virtual desktops, so please forgive a rookie question. I am trying to create a separation between my virtual desktops, so that I have separate instances of applications. There seem to be 3 possible ways applications can be handeled:1. An application may be visible...
  3. On Windows 11 virtual desktops, how do I force it to create new instances of applications...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    On Windows 11 virtual desktops, how do I force it to create new instances of applications...: I am new to virtual desktops, so please forgive a rookie question. I am trying to create a separation between my virtual desktops, so that I have separate instances of applications. There seem to be 3 possible ways applications can be handeled:1. An application may be visible...
  4. How do I prevent new instances from opening?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent new instances from opening?: Hello, here is the issue:Suddenly, Windows opens a new instance of any browser when a link is clicked or when the browser icon on the taskbar is clicked. This has no relation to the internal browser settings which are set at "open link in new tab". This happens with all...
  5. How do I prevent new instances from opening?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I prevent new instances from opening?: Hello, here is the issue:Suddenly, Windows opens a new instance of any browser when a link is clicked or when the browser icon on the taskbar is clicked. This has no relation to the internal browser settings which are set at "open link in new tab". This happens with all...
  6. How to open a program on another virtual desktops with going back to the original desktop ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to open a program on another virtual desktops with going back to the original desktop ?: Hi, I want to use a program on two virtuals desktops. the problem is that once I open it on a second desktop, It goes back to the first desktop the original one. I want to use it on two separate desktops how?...
  7. Opening Apps in Specific Virtual Desktops

Opening Apps in Specific Virtual Desktops: Hi, I was wondering if there's a way to set my apps to open in particular virtual desktops. Desired effect: When I run the following apps, I'd like for them to open only in their designated vitrual desktops. E.x. I'd like for my Spotify to open only in Virtual Desktop 5,...
  8. Organize open apps with virtual desktops

Organize open apps with virtual desktops: Apps feeling cluttered? Organize open apps with virtual desktops! Click here for more info: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/tips/home/get-organized#virtualdesktops [ATTACH]...
  9. Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10: How to: Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10 How to Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10 Task View is a virtual desktop manager in Windows 10 that allows you quickly switch between all of your open apps on multiple...
  10. Virtual Desktops - apps don't run as single instances

in Windows 10 Support
    Virtual Desktops - apps don't run as single instances: Hi there Not sure if this is a real problem or merely a niggle -- I LIKE the idea of Virtual desktops but IMO shouldn't each desktop run an application unaware that another instance might be running on another desktop. The OS itself can keep track of shared storage areas...