Windows 10: How do I open this file?

Discus and support How do I open this file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] I'm not computer savvy and I'm trying to download a mod for Sims 3. I finally extracted the zipped file and what appears next to it is an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marinakey, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Marinakey Win User

How do I open this file?

How do I open this file? [​IMG]

I'm not computer savvy and I'm trying to download a mod for Sims 3. I finally extracted the zipped file and what appears next to it is an internet explorer icon. I double clicked on it and it opened up my download manager window like in the picture. Except when I click open it doesn't do anything. I was trying all yesterday to figure this out and it just doesn't open! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Marinakey, Sep 30, 2015

2. How do I get rid of "How do you want to open this" window.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

1. Do you have any third party browser installed on your PC?

• If you have any other browsers installed, I suggest you to uninstall those and restart your PC.
    • After restart, set IE as your default browser and check if it works.

Follow the steps to set default browser:

1. In search tab type "default program"

2. Select "set default programs"

3. From the list select IE and at the bottom click on "set as default".

Hope it helps.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 30, 2015
  3. Pat Freel Win User
    How do I get rid of "How do you want to open this" window.

That's the first thing I tried. It does not work!

Pat

Pat Freel, Sep 30, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

How do I open this file?

Download & save(do not choose run) go to downloads in file explorer and right click the downloaded zip file and unblock it. Then maybe you will see an .exe file.

Cliff S, Sep 30, 2015
  5. Marinakey Win User
    I don't see an unblock button when I right click on it

Marinakey, Sep 30, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    I'm sorry right click and choose properties, then unblock.

How do I open this file? [​IMG]

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How do I open this file?

1. How do I open this file? - Similar Threads - open file

2. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem taking ownership / opening locked files: Hi,I'm having real trouble trying to open the files inside a folder of jpg images. At some point during transferring HDDs from machine to machine, they became inaccessible to me.I have tried all the usual advice of changing ownership in the advanced security settings and have...
  3. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem taking ownership / opening locked files: Hi,I'm having real trouble trying to open the files inside a folder of jpg images. At some point during transferring HDDs from machine to machine, they became inaccessible to me.I have tried all the usual advice of changing ownership in the advanced security settings and have...
  4. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bin files keep opening in internet explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bin files keep opening in internet explorer: How do I get them to open in a new location? submitted by /u/NSipe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/1cd4lip/bin_files_keep_opening_in_internet_explorer/
  6. After transferring from SD card reader to PC zip files say empty when opened. I'm using...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After transferring from SD card reader to PC zip files say empty when opened. I'm using...: I've been transferring mp3 and flac audio files in zip file format from SD cards using a SD card reader, from the reader via USB to a hp PC that uses windows 10 . I'm using the Windows file explorer to create the folders for the zip file on the PC. But when I try to open the...
  7. After transferring from SD card reader to PC zip files say empty when opened. I'm using...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After transferring from SD card reader to PC zip files say empty when opened. I'm using...: I've been transferring mp3 and flac audio files in zip file format from SD cards using a SD card reader, from the reader via USB to a hp PC that uses windows 10 . I'm using the Windows file explorer to create the folders for the zip file on the PC. But when I try to open the...
  8. After transferring from SD card reader to PC zip files say empty when opened. I'm using...

9. Stop predictive names in File open, save as, etc. dialog

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop predictive names in File open, save as, etc. dialog: In the last update, I started getting predictive word choices popping up above the path and file name in the popup dialog when doing an open or save as operation. Normally, the dialog will complete the name based on actual directory/file names, that is wonderful. For example,...
  10. Stop predictive names in File open, save as, etc. dialog

Stop predictive names in File open, save as, etc. dialog: In the last update, I started getting predictive word choices popping up above the path and file name in the popup dialog when doing an open or save as operation. Normally, the dialog will complete the name based on actual directory/file names, that is wonderful. For example,...