Windows 10: How do I open this file?

Discus and support How do I open this file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] I'm not computer savvy and I'm trying to download a mod for Sims 3. I finally extracted the zipped file and what appears next to it is an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marinakey, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Marinakey Win User

How do I open this file?

How do I open this file? [​IMG]

I'm not computer savvy and I'm trying to download a mod for Sims 3. I finally extracted the zipped file and what appears next to it is an internet explorer icon. I double clicked on it and it opened up my download manager window like in the picture. Except when I click open it doesn't do anything. I was trying all yesterday to figure this out and it just doesn't open! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Marinakey, Sep 30, 2015

2. How do I get rid of "How do you want to open this" window.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

1. Do you have any third party browser installed on your PC?

• If you have any other browsers installed, I suggest you to uninstall those and restart your PC.
    • After restart, set IE as your default browser and check if it works.

Follow the steps to set default browser:

1. In search tab type "default program"

2. Select "set default programs"

3. From the list select IE and at the bottom click on "set as default".

Hope it helps.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 30, 2015
  3. Pat Freel Win User
    How do I get rid of "How do you want to open this" window.

That's the first thing I tried. It does not work!

Pat

Pat Freel, Sep 30, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

How do I open this file?

Download & save(do not choose run) go to downloads in file explorer and right click the downloaded zip file and unblock it. Then maybe you will see an .exe file.

Cliff S, Sep 30, 2015
  5. Marinakey Win User
    I don't see an unblock button when I right click on it

Marinakey, Sep 30, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    I'm sorry right click and choose properties, then unblock.

How do I open this file? [​IMG]

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How do I open this file?

1. How do I open this file? - Similar Threads - open file

2. Unable to open or copy photos from iPhone with File Explorer or Photos app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open or copy photos from iPhone with File Explorer or Photos app: Since early August 2021 I'm unable to view photos on the iPhone with Windows photo app or windows file explorer. I can see the thumbnails on the computer but they won't open or let me save them to the PC. Have been copying photos from phone to pc for years without trouble....
  3. xlr files open but not readable

xlr files open but not readable: xlr files open but not readable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xlr-files-open-but-not-readable/daebf949-c55b-4771-a1b0-523082372696
  4. My Windows won't let me open some files.

My Windows won't let me open some files.: At first I thought it was my windows defender and it might be, but I can't turn it off. There is no option for it. I even opened CMD as trusted installer and admin, but the access was denied. I use advanced run to try and open these files, but I have no clue on how to really...
  5. Windows 10 : Scroll bar keeps jumping to top & file explorer auto opens, bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 : Scroll bar keeps jumping to top & file explorer auto opens, bug: Its been 25 days am facing this issue, whenever this bug appears and need to refresh many times and then after it came to normal.One more bug is with the file explorer whenever try to open other apps the file explorer auto opens. This both the bugs happens at the same time &...
  6. Excel file will not open

Excel file will not open: Hi, I tried to save me excel file but it seems it was saved in another format and now I can't open it in excel. When I try to open it, a window pops up saying "how do you want to open this file?". Excel is not one of the options...
  7. Cannot delete a file open in System

Cannot delete a file open in System: On my laptop there is a single 118 gb file, just sitting there. It does nothing except take up space, and I believe it was put there by the Xbox app. My hard drive is very low on space because of this file, taking up more than half of the space, and everything has noticeably...
  8. How to download and open Torrent Files on Windows computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to download and open Torrent Files on Windows computer: [ATTACH]For some users of Windows 11/10, there will come a time when they want to download torrent files to their computer. However, they might not know how to get this done; but such folks should not worry because we have the remedy. What is Torrenting? Torrenting is...
  9. I am unable to use the app I have installed to open a certain file type

I am unable to use the app I have installed to open a certain file type: I am attempting to open an .RPY file using PyCharm Community Editor, but Windows 10 is only giving me the option to search the Windows Store for an app to open the file. The option to browse the computer for an app to use is not available. I have also tried going to Apps -...
  10. Can I auto save files of open programs before auto shutting down Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I auto save files of open programs before auto shutting down Windows 10?: Hi,I know I can auto shuttdown in Windows 10 from Task Scheduler at a particular time every night. I'm too lazy to go up another flight of stairs to shut the PC down myself and sometimes forget its been on for 3 days or more. I want to make sure that any open programs will...