Windows 10: How do I permanently prevent MS from updating my Display drivers?

Discus and support How do I permanently prevent MS from updating my Display drivers? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Today, MS decided again to update my Nvidia display driver (which, for reasons, I had specifically frozen at 417). Unlike before, I wasn't even offered... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by meimeiriver2, Nov 15, 2019.

1. How do I permanently prevent MS from updating my Display drivers?

Today, MS decided again to update my Nvidia display driver (which, for reasons, I had specifically frozen at 417). Unlike before, I wasn't even offered the option anymore to not install it and/or hide the update: MS just passive-aggressively pushes it on you.

So, how do I permanently prevent MS from updating my Display drivers?

Running Win 10, 64-bit (fully up-to-date... sadly).

:)

meimeiriver2, Nov 15, 2019

2. Windows update reverted display to MS Basic Display Driver

Hi,

Normally, this issue occurs when the drivers were being corrupted or updated after the recent update. Since you've already tried to install the latest driver, we suggest that you roll back to the previous driver and check if it helps to resolve the issue. To
    do this, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Double-click the device for which you want to roll back to the previous version of the driver, and then click
      Properties.
    • Under the Driver tab, select Roll Back Driver.
    • Select OK.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Nov 15, 2019
  3. Display driver not supporting and device manager not showing Display adapter option

Hi Maheen,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Incorrect settings.
    • Corrupt or outdated display driver.
    Try the steps listed here and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to download and install all the available Windows Updates including Optional Updates. Check if it helps.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, i suggest you to uninstall and re-install latest display driver from the computer manufacturer website and check if it helps.

Step 1: Uninstall display driver.

• Right-click on the Start Button and click on
      Device manager.
    • Double-click on Display Adapters to expand.
    • Right-click on the display adapter driver that is listed and select properties.
    • In the window opened, click on drivers tab.
    • In the drivers tab, Click on Uninstall option.
    Now restart your computer and check, if the problem persists try step 2.

Step 2:

Re-install display driver from the manufacturer website.

Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you need further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Nov 15, 2019
  4. SASCO67 Win User

How do I permanently prevent MS from updating my Display drivers?

Windows update reverted display to MS Basic Display Driver

I just wanted to thank you! This is the only thing to have worked after several nights trawling the online help. My screen resolution is now back to normal after last week's Windows 10 update. I had tried so many "fixes" and this was the only one to have
    worked and was so easy to do! Now my photos look normal again and not horribly stretched! Thanks a million1

SASCO67, Nov 15, 2019
Thema:

How do I permanently prevent MS from updating my Display drivers?

1. How do I permanently prevent MS from updating my Display drivers? - Similar Threads - permanently prevent updating

2. How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?: Hi all, the question header says it all. I am looking for a way to prevent Windows 11 from automatically installing a display driver. Let me give some background as to why. I have a laptop Lenovo ThinkPad L13 that has started automatically shutting off after about 2-3 minutes...
  3. How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?: Hi all, the question header says it all. I am looking for a way to prevent Windows 11 from automatically installing a display driver. Let me give some background as to why. I have a laptop Lenovo ThinkPad L13 that has started automatically shutting off after about 2-3 minutes...
  4. How do I permanently prevent the blue screen from appearing everytime I open windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I permanently prevent the blue screen from appearing everytime I open windows?: I've been experiencing it for almost three days and ever since then, the blue screen just won't stop appearing a minute after I open windows.It happened on the night when my sibling asked if she could borrow my laptop and play on a gaming website specifically Y8, I don't know...
  5. How do I rename my Display Driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I rename my Display Driver?: Hey, I would like to rename my display driver using Regedit. However, I could not find any "Friendly Name" value to change nor any other value that affected it's name. Is there anything that i'm missing, or can I not change the name of my display driver?...
  6. How do I prevent the latest update from bricking my computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I prevent the latest update from bricking my computer?: I noticed that windows was threatening to install updates on the next reboot (I had thought I blocked all the windows update servers in the host file but I guess they made more or something) I looked it up and apparently lots of people can't boot their computer after this...
  7. How can I prevent my graphics driver from updating?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How can I prevent my graphics driver from updating?: I have a Dell Inspiron 7373 and have an issue where the computer can't wake the display after it times out. I have spent months and many posts on here and bleeping computer and all resolutions suggested do not work - this is a known issue and I have found a hopeful...
  8. How can I prevent my graphics driver from updating?

How can I prevent my graphics driver from updating?: I have a Dell Inspiron 7373 and have an issue where the computer can't wake the display after it times out. I have spent months and many posts on here and bleeping computer and all resolutions suggested do not work - this is a known issue and I have found a hopeful...
  9. How do I prevent Windows from installing a driver?

How do I prevent Windows from installing a driver?: I have an issue where Intel Management Interface Engine driver is preventing my laptop from hibernating or shutting down, I mean, the system just comes back to lock screen instead of turning off. If you search the web, you'll see this driver is well known to cause this issue,...
  10. How do I permanently delete the keyboard driver from my notebook?

How do I permanently delete the keyboard driver from my notebook?: Hello! I've recently spilt coffee all over my Notebook, but thankfully it still works - except for when the keyboard is activated. It makes the PC very buggy and unusable, that's why I want to permanently disable the keyboard. I've tried several things already: -...