Windows 10: How do I permanently stop windows updates from downloading and automatically installing?

Discus and support How do I permanently stop windows updates from downloading and automatically installing? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is there some way to stop the automatic download and install of windows updates? I'm using my laptop mainly for gaming, but every second day there's a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Th3Ch40t1c, Oct 6, 2019.

1. How do I permanently stop windows updates from downloading and automatically installing?

Is there some way to stop the automatic download and install of windows updates? I'm using my laptop mainly for gaming, but every second day there's a fking windows update consuming 99% of my internet connection for hours trying to download some update - great, i'm in a competitive game and now i have a ping of 500ms.

"This update increases security and blah blah blah adds new features" - First off all, i don't care a single bit about the so called "security" they deliver. The Windows Defender Antivirus never did a single thing but slow down my computer all the time and never find anything. I also don't need those new features that don't do anything for me except slowing the computer down.

Now, it downloaded the update. Great. Now i can finally play - oh no wait, now the system is using 100% disk for some reason even though the update already downloaded and is NOT UPDATING at that moment. Not running any other programs that could cause it either. Great. Now I can't even start up the game (which already crashed by the way).

Aight, let's go and click on that "update" button to see if this fixes the issue.

OH. GREAT. I left it for 2 hours and it's still at 13% (where it was when i left it). Now the windows update is stuck and all i can do is force shut down the laptop and cancel the update, then having to wait 30 minutes for windows to undo the changes. Great experience windows, congrats! You just ruined another user's day! AMAZING!

Now, I tried disabling any kind of process that would start the automatic windows update: Setting my connection as metered, disabling the auto start up and task scheduler instances of windows update, adding a second account and force the automatic windows update to only get triggered whenever you log in to that second account (i never logged in on that account). Great. No windows update for 2 weeks.

Now, 2 weeks later, windows of course found a fking way to download and ask me about the install again. I don't want you to download a fking update i don't need.

Now, back to my question: Is there ANY fking way to PERMANENTLY get the windows update to fk off and never bother me again? And NO, i don't need your fking "critical updates", fk windows, if anyone feels the need to hack my laptop or install ransomware on it - i don't care. The only programs i have here is steam, blizzard and Minecraft. All i want is to play games on this device without constantly having to worry about high disk, cpu and network usage because of some fking useless windows update.

:)

Th3Ch40t1c, Oct 6, 2019
  2. wolf2009 Win User

Stop windows automatic driver install

I'm having a problem with installing a nvidia card. windows 7 automatically installs some wdm 1.1 drivers, then when i install the 195.39 drivers, it gives me less performance. like the cards lags in games when it should run fine.

how can i stop windows from installing the drivers automatically ?

i tried checking the "don't install drivers from windows update" in device manager. it still installs it.

wolf2009, Oct 6, 2019
  3. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Oct 6, 2019
  4. jbunch07 Win User

How do I permanently stop windows updates from downloading and automatically installing?

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Resolution Suggestion:

# To resolve this problem, make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started..

A simple solution but one that works in most circumstances!

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html- source *Smile How do I permanently stop windows updates from downloading and automatically installing? :) hope that helps.

jbunch07, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

How do I permanently stop windows updates from downloading and automatically installing?

1. How do I permanently stop windows updates from downloading and automatically installing? - Similar Threads - permanently stop updates

2. How do I permanently STOP Windows from DOWNLOADING ANY updates during the day , or at all ??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I permanently STOP Windows from DOWNLOADING ANY updates during the day , or at all ??: This is going to be LONG so please read ALL of it ..... as it is all pertinent info to this situation ........ and if you are not willing to take the time to read ALL of it , then do not respond as your solution will most likely be of no use to me ... because you did not...
  3. How do I permanently STOP Windows from DOWNLOADING ANY updates during the day , or at all ??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I permanently STOP Windows from DOWNLOADING ANY updates during the day , or at all ??: This is going to be LONG so please read ALL of it ..... as it is all pertinent info to this situation ........ and if you are not willing to take the time to read ALL of it , then do not respond as your solution will most likely be of no use to me ... because you did not...
  4. How do I permanently STOP Windows from DOWNLOADING ANY updates during the day , or at all ??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I stop automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently?

How do I stop automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently?: How do I stop automatic updates permanently? I have Windows 10, Version 1909 installed on my PC. Dell, Inspiron 3847. For the last few months, I have tried to update to Windows Version 20H2 but the updates fail when it reaches 71% . I have tried using the Media Creation tool...
  6. How to stop automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently?: there is so many methods i know four way: 1.change services 2.change Registry 3.change group policy 4.use software "windows update blocker" i want to know: can "changing services " stop update permanently or temporary thanks a lot my pc windows verion number is win10 178792
  7. How to stop automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently?: there is so many methods i know four way: 1.change services 2.change Registry 3.change group policy 4.use software "windows update blocker" i want to know: can "changing services " stop update permanently or temporary thanks a lot my pc windows verion number is win10 178792
  8. How do I permanently disable automatic updates?

How do I permanently disable automatic updates?: I had 17 tabs open in an Incognito tab all about different things for my jeep. I've been trying to work on it and it's taken me a few days to get all the information I need so I can mess with the headlights, jack, and a couple of other things without the fear of messing...
  9. How do I permanently stop Windows 10 from downloading and installing updates?

How do I permanently stop Windows 10 from downloading and installing updates?: For about a year and a half, Windows 10 has been forcing me to install a broken update. If I don't shut down my computer, a shirt time later, Windows 10 forcefully shuts down my computer and installs the update. Then in the middle of the update, it displays "We couldn't...
  10. How to stop updates from downloading automatically ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop updates from downloading automatically ?: I'd like to have updates set to download at users convenience or at a specific time of day. Is it possible in windows 10 ? 111691