Windows 10: How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?

Discus and support How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I found an article about how to do this that described this method:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SuitableDragonfly, Aug 3, 2020.

1. How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?

I found an article about how to do this that described this method: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3wnohc/is_there_a_way_to_pin_custom_shortcuts_to_the/ but this doesn't work. There are only a handful of folders and shortcuts in this folder, not anywhere near the number of programs there are in the Start menu, and adding a shortcut there or modifying it doesn't seem to change the Start menu at all. So what is the real way to do this?

submitted by /u/SuitableDragonfly
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SuitableDragonfly, Aug 3, 2020

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, Aug 3, 2020
  3. MDD0799 Win User
    How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Sergiy Shklyar - You are a genius. This is the solution for pinning a non-executable to the Start Menu. Many thanks.

MDD0799, Aug 3, 2020
  4. How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?

How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?

1. How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu? - Similar Threads - pin custom shortcut

2. How do I further customize the pinned items in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I further customize the pinned items in the start menu?: [ATTACH] I'd like to add a picture to the background of some of these programs, sorta like live tile. Is there a way to do that? (Also, the 2 covered tiles are the weather and photos tiles) A lot of the shortcuts just have the default accent color, which I don't like....
  3. Custom size start menu pins?

Custom size start menu pins?: Why can't we have pins on start bar that are one and a half medium fields in size? submitted by /u/obscure_greenleaf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jrscd9/custom_size_start_menu_pins/
  4. How do I pin lusrmgr.msc to the start menu?

How do I pin lusrmgr.msc to the start menu?: I'm doing a lot of work around groups at the moment and I can't find a way to ping the lusrmgr.msc snap in to the start menu. I can search for it, but there's no option to pin. submitted by /u/shinaku [link] [comments]...
  5. How do i customize the start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i customize the start menu?: So basically what i want to do, is to remove everything from the start menu, and add what i want. I dont want to see a list of all apps i have or whatever else it shows me. I just want it gone, plain and simple, and to add what i feel is important. Under "Most used" i...
  6. pin to start menu customizations

in Windows 10 Customization
    pin to start menu customizations: Where are start menu tiles (pinned shortcuts) stored? I can't find them. I want to customize the start menu and back it up to deploy elsewhere. 12877
  7. How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu: UPDATE: See Edwin's method in Post #4 for IE it is much easier than mine. But for other browsers use this method. Since you cannot just drag and drop a shortcut to a web site into the app menu the way I do it is to create a short cut on my desktop then copy it into the...
  8. Unable to pin/unpin for start menu OR customize!

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to pin/unpin for start menu OR customize!: just done a fresh install of windows and i literately cant do anything that relates to pinning or tweaking the start menu. i was reading that there is a way to fix this via tiledatalayer ??? and followed some examples however there was no tiledatalayer folder present in...
  9. How to customize pinned Start Menu icon?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to customize pinned Start Menu icon?: I have a shortcut on the left-hand side of Start Menu that opens my Gmail in a Chrome window. This shortcut is actually a shortcut to chrome.exe with a bunch of command-line arguments that make it open my Gmail page right away. The shortcut has a custom "red enevelope" icon....
  10. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcuts to Start Menu: What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it? Just wondering. 8914