Windows 10: How do I pin/expand the hamburger menu permanently?

Discus and support How do I pin/expand the hamburger menu permanently? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, I love the new build 10122 hamburger menu which expands to show you the apps, settings, power options on the left hand side. I use the full... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by recruit2, May 23, 2015.

1. recruit2 Win User

How do I pin/expand the hamburger menu permanently?

Hi guys,

I love the new build 10122 hamburger menu which expands to show you the apps, settings, power options on the left hand side. I use the full screen start menu. But I have an annoyance which I can't figure out a solution for.

Is it possible to make the hamburger menu automatically expanded all the time? So that when I click the Start button it's already expanded and I then don't have to click the hamburger thing?

Thanks

:)

recruit2, May 23, 2015
  2. Maxin Inn Win User

Improved experience for hamburger menu

Click on the hamburger button to show the menu.

Double click on the button to pin the menu.

Maxin Inn, May 23, 2015
  3. JimWynne Win User
    How do you open the hamburger menu in Windows 10 apps with the keyboard?

As in all previous Windows versions, you can use the Tab key to move between "clickable" items.

JimWynne, May 23, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

I don't think so. (Until someone finds a way to do it!) *Wink
    Only thing I can suggest is, put it to expandable mode and drag it as large as it will go.

Edwin, May 23, 2015
  5. recruit2 Win User
    Hmm weird, because when you think about it. These are the steps required to simply turn off your computer. Assuming you are using left-click or touch (and not the quicker right-click start button way)...
    - Click Start Button (bottom of screen)
    - Click Hamburger Menu (now we go way up to top of screen wooot!)
    - Click Power Button (now we go back down to bottom of screen woooo!)
    - Click Shut Down

So that's 4 steps, but it's like bottom of screen, top of screen, back to bottom of screen etc. It's actually a pretty annoying sequence, it just doesn't flow for such a commonly used feature etc.

If the hamburger was already expanded, then I could just go:
    - Start Button
    - Power
    - Shut Down
    etc

recruit2, May 23, 2015
  6. Haven't tried this build, but can you not just right click start menu, got upto shutdown and restart and then select shutdown

Same as 8, or has this feature been removed

paulsalter, May 23, 2015
  7. recruit2 Win User
    Yeah that still works, that's the quick way I was referring to. But sometimes, say I'm sitting on the lounge and I only want to either use touch or left-click. The "pretty" power button is a pain to get to. But even on W8.1 it wasn't a pain. On the Windows 8.1 Metro screen there was that always visible power button up on the main metro screen. So all you had to click was Start button, Power button, Shut down.

recruit2, May 23, 2015
  8. recruit2 Win User

Ok I just disable the full screen Start Menu and expanded the Start Menu to the largest size possible.

On the desktop mode start menu that's exactly how I want it to work, i.e. with Settings/Power etc always visible there and the hamburger menu already expanded by default. But the Full Screen start menu is just so much better looking than the stupid partial/traditional mode start menu...

recruit2, May 23, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    You could pin a shutdown shortcut to your taskbar if you have the room.

How do I pin/expand the hamburger menu permanently? [​IMG]

Edwin, May 23, 2015
  10. recruit2 Win User
    Hmm, "Power" and "Shutdown" don't seem to be pinnable. But "Settings" certainly is.

All I want is this:
    - The exact same default display of the partial/traditional start menu, but in full screen mode! I.e. a way to have the hamburger menu already expanded.

When you think about it, the partial/traditional start menu looks silly. It's like it covers some random partial proportion of your screen. It's just there for those who can't change. The full screen version just flows so much more nicely visually and is consistent.

But let me see the hamburger menu already expanded...

recruit2, May 23, 2015
  11. recruit2 Win User
    I've just succumbed to the partial start menu for now. I.e. traditional Windows 7 style. I've even shrunk it to a fairly small size. I think it looks tidier that way. When it's too big it looks awkward because it's not quite full screen, but arbitrarily sized.

But I hope MS come up with an answer for this. Because I think people using tablet mode will want this for sure.

Try this: Switch to tablet mode (I.e. unplug your keyboard from your SP3) and then try to find the Shut Down button and see if it feels like too many steps to get there without the keyboard or a mouse. (And don't hold over the Start button to invoke Right Click!)

recruit2, May 23, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    Send feedback about it.

Edwin, May 23, 2015
  13. Edwin New Member

Another option would be: *Start►Tab-Tab►Enter.

Edwin, May 23, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    I really don't understand all the whinging about a shutdown button.

Why don't people do what they do with EVERY FREAKING ELECTRONIC DEVICE ON THE PLANET (besides a pc) and press the power button to shut down?

It's right there. You don't have to open any windows, or click anything, or whatever... It just takes an instant and is easily accessible at all times.

Mystere, May 23, 2015
  15. Edwin New Member
    Sorry, I think I misdirected the thread a bit with the power button issue; the OP basically wanted the 'hamburger' menu to appear with the click of the Start Button when on full screen mode.

Edwin, May 24, 2015
Thema:

1. How do I pin/expand the hamburger menu permanently? - Similar Threads - pin expand hamburger

2. How do I permanently disable "Expand to Current Folder"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I permanently disable "Expand to Current Folder"?: Turning off "Expand to Current Folder" works for about five minutes, then File Explorer goes right back to expanding the folders. It is an incredibly annoying and useless feature that makes navigating files very difficult. Do not tell me how to turn off "Expand to Current...
  3. How do I permanently disable "Expand to Current Folder"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I permanently disable "Expand to Current Folder"?: Turning off "Expand to Current Folder" works for about five minutes, then File Explorer goes right back to expanding the folders. It is an incredibly annoying and useless feature that makes navigating files very difficult. Do not tell me how to turn off "Expand to Current...
  4. How to remove pin permanently?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove pin permanently?: Windows 10 System -We have a new laptop in our small office. I'm trying to remove the PIN required for accessing the system. I have followed the directions on how to remove/reset a pin directions on the MS Windows 10 site Open the Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon....
  5. How to remove pin permanently?

How to remove pin permanently?: Windows 10 System -We have a new laptop in our small office. I'm trying to remove the PIN required for accessing the system. I have followed the directions on how to remove/reset a pin directions on the MS Windows 10 site Open the Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon....
  6. How do I pin lusrmgr.msc to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I pin lusrmgr.msc to the start menu?: I'm doing a lot of work around groups at the moment and I can't find a way to ping the lusrmgr.msc snap in to the start menu. I can search for it, but there's no option to pin. submitted by /u/shinaku [link] [comments]...
  7. how do i stop the start menu from automatically expanding?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i stop the start menu from automatically expanding?: how do I stop the start menu from automatically expanding? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-the-start-menu-from-automatically/00396709-c79b-4848-a9a3-c71a138866f7
  8. How do I disable the start menu "auto expand" feature in 1909?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I disable the start menu "auto expand" feature in 1909?: The has to be a way to disable this new "feature". It drives me nuts! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-the-start-menu-auto-expand/d520fff3-b370-4763-a8e1-ff522038db02
  9. Calculator hamburger menu won't display

Calculator hamburger menu won't display: When I click the 3-bar hamburger menu icon I get a brief flash and then nothing. Any fix? Reinstall calculator? 40344
  10. How to expand/contract start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to expand/contract start menu: Hi all. I was able to expand/contract the width and height of the statmenu. Now only height is expandable. I do NOT want full screen. The expand arrows show when I put cursor on right edge but am not able to "pull" edge to right to expand the size. Did the recent "major...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu side hamburger list auto expand