Windows 10: How do I power down during first boot?

Discus and support How do I power down during first boot? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just bought a new windows 10 laptop. Turned it on for the first time. When I press the power button the computer goes into suspend. I want to shut it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mcaceresb, Oct 7, 2016.

1. mcaceresb Win User

How do I power down during first boot?

Just bought a new windows 10 laptop. Turned it on for the first time. When I press the power button the computer goes into suspend. I want to shut it off, but there is no option to do that during the first set up. How do I power it off all the way?

:)

mcaceresb, Oct 7, 2016
  2. ASR920 Win User

Lumia 920 BSOD and Windows Boot Manager error

Didn't manage to do the UP-DOWN-POWER-DOWN combination in time. Now when I try to hold DOWN and plug in the charger to get (!), it just goes to the NOKIA screen and repeatedly shuts down and starts. Releasing the DOWN key during this time results in the
    screen shown here:

How do I get (!) now?

ASR920, Oct 7, 2016
  3. laptop shut down while i first turn the power on after upgrading to win10

hello,

thanks for your help,

i follow the first step and didnt find any problem,

and then i boot my laptop in safe mode with network ,

it can successfully be shut down and turn on ,

then i leave the safe mode and turn off the windows fast startup,

now my laptop can shut down and turn on normally like it used to be,

but the problem still exist when i hibernate my laptop,

when i reboot from hibernate state , it still shut down itself after the windows icon shows up.

waiting for your suggestion, thanks!

Best regards,

Roger Yang

chi hsien yang, Oct 7, 2016
  4. cbwilsha Win User

At the Start screen (the one with all the tiles), type Shutdown and hit Enter. Or click on the Power button just above the Start button at the lower left corner of the screen and click on Shutdown.

cbwilsha, Oct 7, 2016
  5. mcaceresb Win User
    There are no tiles... There is no start button. This is the first boot. All I see is the EULA and a "next" button.

Anyway. If I shut the computer down, close it, and then press the shutdown button again eventually it powers down.

mcaceresb, Oct 7, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    The first time you turn on a brand new PC you have to go through a number of steps before you can use it. Reading and accepting the EULA is (presumably) one of them, another is likely to be choosing a name for your account. (As I got my windows 10 by upgrading from Windows 7 I've not seen all the details of how a brand new PC is configured when started fresh out of the box). Until you've completed all these initialisation steps you won't be able to log on and get to see the desktop, Start screen, tiles and so on.

Your best advice would be to read the 'Getting Started' guide that came with the PC before turning it on again,

Bree, Oct 7, 2016
  7. mcaceresb Win User
    Thanks! But I wanted to boot from a USB stick. I knew how to access the BiOS just not how to power the PC down fully.

mcaceresb, Oct 7, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

Is there a reason you don't want to complete the initialisation? The easiest option would be to do so, then you could get to the Control Panel, Power Options. Click on 'Choose what the power button does' to get...

How do I power down during first boot? [​IMG]

Alternatively, press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. That the emergency way to kill the power if all else fails. It would certainly have to do a cold start after that, though there's a chance it may corrupt the system on your hard drive - so do so at your own risk!

Bree, Oct 7, 2016
  9. mcaceresb Win User
    I mean, there's no reason that I should complete set up just to turn the computer of... If I close it and then press the power button it turns off fine. Thanks for the help, though!

mcaceresb, Oct 7, 2016
  10. Right click on the start button and scroll down and you can do it that way.

hTconeM9user, Oct 7, 2016
  11. mcaceresb Win User
    There is no start button... It's the first time I turned it on. Is that really that hard to convey? Anyway, I figured it out but thanks for all the comments!

mcaceresb, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I power down during first boot? - Similar Threads - power down during

2. GPU not being detected only during first boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU not being detected only during first boot: i recently built a new PC with the specs above and keep running into the same issue. the GPU only connects after i power up the PC with one of the monitors connected to the integrated motherboard graphics so i can see my screen, hit the windows key and restart my PC. once i...
  3. GPU not being detected only during first boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPU not being detected only during first boot: i recently built a new PC with the specs above and keep running into the same issue. the GPU only connects after i power up the PC with one of the monitors connected to the integrated motherboard graphics so i can see my screen, hit the windows key and restart my PC. once i...
  4. Shut down power during resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down power during resetting: I reset the computer and I accidentally shut the power downI try winre and troubleshooting, I can’t reset the progress and repairAnd I can’t use winre anymore again even serveral method I can’t even go to login screen It keep blinking and hp sign It keeps having hard disk...
  5. Shut down power during resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down power during resetting: I reset the computer and I accidentally shut the power downI try winre and troubleshooting, I can’t reset the progress and repairAnd I can’t use winre anymore again even serveral method I can’t even go to login screen It keep blinking and hp sign It keeps having hard disk...
  6. Shut down power during resetting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Hard shut down during boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard shut down during boot: I booted my computer, and it just stucks at one of a directory. So I did a hard shut down and when I start my computer again. It leads me to automatic repair, it says my computer didn't start correctly and I try resolving it. Until now, I still can't find a way to fix my...
  8. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR during power down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR during power down: This error is now occurring after enabling Hyper-V in the Win10 OS Features. All of the automatic patching and configuration that takes place after enabling Hyper-V seems to have processed normally with several reboots noted. There are NO virtual environments defined as yet,...
  9. The system shut down without Cleanly shutting down first Kernel-Power

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The system shut down without Cleanly shutting down first Kernel-Power: I have been getting this Event ID: 41 I in the past had several of these and changed motherboard which seems have fixed the issue, however it seems to have returned again. The last previous was back in 2016-12-02 this morning I get up to my main business computer/server has...
  10. Windows powers down during boot, wtf?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows powers down during boot, wtf?: When I power up my PC, the BIOS boots, then I see the blue window in the center of the screen as Windows 10 x64 is allegedly booting, then my machine powers down/off. If I then press the power button again, Windows 10 actually boots as it should. Why the frack is Windows 10...