Windows 10: How do I prevent and resolve duplicate but different content OneDrive folders?

Discus and support How do I prevent and resolve duplicate but different content OneDrive folders? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I did a refresh/reset on my Dell desktop. I put all my documents and everything in my OneDrive folder but I did not want to spend hours downloading so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GarethMostyn, Jul 23, 2021.

1. How do I prevent and resolve duplicate but different content OneDrive folders?

I did a refresh/reset on my Dell desktop. I put all my documents and everything in my OneDrive folder but I did not want to spend hours downloading so I chose 'keep my files'. A few weeks later I noticed a problem and I realise that I now have two folders called 'OneDrive' they are almost identical. One is the real OneDrive the same as the cloud version and the other is just on the PC in a folder called OneDrive. I did not name this folder, I assume it was my old pre-refresh One Drive. I have two drives on my computer, a small OS C: drive 100GB which is why my operating system and progr

:)

GarethMostyn, Jul 23, 2021

2. onedrive duplicating my folders...

Hi.

Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway!
    Please don't ask me any question that will further delay the repair. Simply give me a step by step solution and then improve onedrive so this won't happen again to so many of us. I suggest you also add "onedrive" in the list of "Windows Topics" below since
    thousands of users have issues with it.

Thanks

Michel

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Michel Chiangmai, Jul 23, 2021
  3. OneDrive resulted in duplicate Documents folders, can't merge

I did try restore but it wouldn't let me. The result was the same, that being that it complained of there already being a system folder there (i.e., users\Chris\Documents, etc.)

I just looked in HKCU... as suggested and found the folders defined as "C:\Users\Chris\OneDrive\...". Interestingly, I found a couple of GUIDs other than the Download folder you referred to above. Both point to "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\...". They duplicate
    the explicitly named Personal and Pictures folders assigned to "C:\Users\Chris\OneDrive\...", i.e., they point to the same folder.

Only Personal, Pictures and Desktop are assigned using the C:\Users\Chris\OneDrive string. As above, Personal and Pictures are duplicated as GUIDs. Desktop is not duplicated.

Can I just delete the GUID duplicates of Personal and Pictures (not Downloads) and change the OneDrive entries to "%UserProfile%\...," as some others are assigned?

Is it atypical that Cache is defined as "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\...", unlike other AppData folders defined using "%UserProfile%\..."?

Edit: if editing HKCU directly results in the duplicate folders remaining, that's fine. I can just move the contents of the unwanted folders into the corresponding defined system folder, then delete the duplicate folders.

ChrisCowles, Jul 23, 2021
  4. TarAn_D Win User

How do I prevent and resolve duplicate but different content OneDrive folders?

Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

When you set up OneDrive to sync with your computer, a folder C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive will be created to store the contents. XXXX denotes your username. To move this folder to another location follow these simple steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your PC:

• Go to the taskbar notification area
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon
    • Select settings
    • Click: Unlink this PC
    2. Delete the C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive folder

3. Create a new folder (target folder) for OneDrive contents, e.g. D:\OneDrive

4. Create Directory Junction for the new folder

• In the search area of the taskbar type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    • In the command window type
    mklink /J C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive D:\OneDrive

adjusting it to your specific username and selection of the target folder

5. Link again OneDrive to your PC using the OneDrive icon in the taskbar notification area

TarAn_D, Jul 23, 2021
Thema:

How do I prevent and resolve duplicate but different content OneDrive folders?

1. How do I prevent and resolve duplicate but different content OneDrive folders? - Similar Threads - prevent resolve duplicate

2. How do I prevent a folder from uploading to OneDrive from my device?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I prevent a folder from uploading to OneDrive from my device?: I see this question posted many times elsewhere and answered with a link for instructions. But they all answered incorrectly! Other respondents report how to prevent a folder from being downloaded from the cloud to a device. I want to keep a folder on my device from taking up...
  3. Files in OneDrive do not sync. How to resolve?

Files in OneDrive do not sync. How to resolve?: Files in OneDrive do not sync. How to resolve? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-in-onedrive-do-not-sync-how-to-resolve/d0ce6dfa-bcda-4e95-aa9d-a4c9973426eb
  4. Files in OneDrive do not sync. How to resolve?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files in OneDrive do not sync. How to resolve?: Files in OneDrive do not sync. How to resolve? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-in-onedrive-do-not-sync-how-to-resolve/d0ce6dfa-bcda-4e95-aa9d-a4c9973426eb
  5. Files in OneDrive do not sync. How to resolve?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How do I get rid of duplicate files/Folders in File Explorer and OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I get rid of duplicate files/Folders in File Explorer and OneDrive?: Using file explorer how do I delete duplicate files and folders that are already backed up to OneDrive without deleting them from OneDrive itself? My computer is almost completely full but yet I supposedley have everything backed up to OneDrive. Which files can I comfortably...
  7. Duplicate Folders (OneDrive, Dropbox)

Duplicate Folders (OneDrive, Dropbox): Is there a way to stop program folders from appearing more than one in file explorer? OneDrive and Dropbox appear in the navigation pane under Desktop and my user folder....
  8. desktop is showing contents of a different folder

desktop is showing contents of a different folder: On my pc,I recently moved my onedrive folder to an external hard drive. The desktop folder, however, stayed in the original ( no longer acting as a onedrive folder as such) onedrive folder on c. I went to properties, and moved it to the onedrive folder, then though that...
  9. Difference in size of a folder with its contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference in size of a folder with its contents: Hello to all, I have a folder Documents and when I check its properties, Windows 10 x64 shows ~13 GB as its size. But when go within it and select all contents and check for properties (from the context menu) it shows ~3 GB as all of its contents' size. I also checked the...
  10. onedrive duplicating my folders...

onedrive duplicating my folders...: Hi. Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway! Please don't ask...