Windows 10: How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)...

Discus and support How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)... in Cortana to solve the problem; In a previously locked thread (... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by HMarx2019, Aug 5, 2019.

1. HMarx2019 Win User

How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)...

In a previously locked thread ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/how-do-i-prevent-cortanasearch-from-searching-the/557539cc-5164-4df4-b839-494e623a6067 ), Brian023 asked:

"

I see from a web search (using my prefered browser and not Cortana/Edge) that searching the web could be disabled in 2015 versions of Windows 10.

How do I disable Cortana/Search from searching the web in my 2017 version of Windows 10?

Can this be done at all anymore? Does every search of local files/programs on my computer go to Bing and there is nothing I can do about it?

Is this Microsoft's way of claiming that more people are using Bing and Edge?

"

My problem, as was his, is that my up-to-date 2018 version of Windows 10 Home (10.0.17763 Build 17763) does NOT include the Group Policy Editor (GPO) for making any of the changes that were suggested in that article/post/thread. The "Answer" offered by another user (involving the GPO) and the help offered by the kindly Microsoft Agent/Moderator were not helpful in resolving the issue.

However, I did find the following article on MajorGeeks "How to Disable Bing Search in the Windows 10 Start Menu" which seems to have provided the answer/fix ( https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_disable_bing_search_in_the_windows_10_start_menu.html ):

The article suggests first backing up the Windows Registry and provides a link to another article on that subject. A wise idea, especially if you are a "newbie" and not used to using the Registry Editor as a "small" mistake can possibly really mess up your machine if you are not very careful. Possibly get a knowledgeable friend to help.

Next, launch the Windows Registry editor "Regedit" any way you like (e.g., see MajorGeeks article "5 Ways to Open Registry Editor in Windows", https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/5_ways_to_open_registry_editor_in_windows.html ).

(I like to simply use the keyboard combination/simultaneous-press of the "Windows" key and "r" key, then type in "regedit" in the "run" box that appears. Answer "Yes" if a dialog box appears asking permission to launch the editor.)

Navigate to (or copy-and-paste in the "address" field, then go to) the following: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search

In the list of "keys" in the table/listing on the right-side window "pane", confirm that the 32-bit DWORD value "CortanaConsent" is set to 0 (zero). To change the value (if not 0), double-click on it then make/confirm the change.

To quote MajorGeeks: "Next, we're going to create a new registry key. Right-click in the right pane and click New > DWORD (32-bit value) and name the new key BingSearchEnabled. Double-click and confirm that the new key also has a Value data of 0."

NOTE: When creating this new key, ensure that you type it EXACTLY as shown above, NOT all lower or upper case. I seem to recall that the Registry is sensitive to letter case in its operation.

After making the change(s) such that the new key appears alongside the other keys in that list, exit Regedit and you are done!

MajorGeeks suggested logging out then back into the user account, or restarting the computer to effect the change; but in my case it began working right away.

I confirmed that new search terms were no longer appearing as "web results" and was working by checking with the online Microsoft Privacy Dashboard: using your computer/machine user account info, log into https://account.microsoft.com/privacy/ . After logging in, click on "My Activity", then expand the "Filter by data type" then choose "Search" to see all your search terms that have been previously uploaded over time. You can then choose to "clear" them out after reading the "caution" notice that appears when you attempt to confirm the action.

Hope this helps.

:)

HMarx2019, Aug 5, 2019
  2. balubeto Win User

Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

Hi

In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, Aug 5, 2019
  3. Graeme.P Win User
    Disable web searches in Start menu

Hi Corey, I'm Graeme, an independent adviser here to help.

You can stop Windows from showing web results in Start menu search. Here are the instructions to do so:

- Click the Start button.

- Type Cortana in the Search field.

- Click Cortana & Search settings.

- Type Cortana in the Search field. Click Cortana & Search settings.

- Click the switch beneath Cortana can give you suggestions, reminders, alerts, and more at the top of the menu so that it turns off.

- Click the switch beneath Search online and include web results so that it turns off.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-bing...

Please let me know if you need further support! Thanks!

Note: Non-Microsoft websites are linked. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Graeme.P, Aug 5, 2019
  4. How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)...

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Aug 5, 2019
Thema:

How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)...

1. How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)... - Similar Threads - prevent Cortana Search

2. How to enable searching the web from the windows start menu/search bar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable searching the web from the windows start menu/search bar?: Hi,I'm trying to re-enable searching the web from the Windows search bar after it disappeared without me changing any settings. I tried modifying the registry to re-enable it without any luck. Any ideas?Thanks,Craze...
  3. How to enable searching the web from the windows start menu/search bar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable searching the web from the windows start menu/search bar?: Hi,I'm trying to re-enable searching the web from the Windows search bar after it disappeared without me changing any settings. I tried modifying the registry to re-enable it without any luck. Any ideas?Thanks,Craze...
  4. How to disable web search in Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable web search in Start Menu?: Hello, I have Windows 10 version 1909 and I want to disable stupid web search that open useless Edge browser if I type file name wrongly and then I click enter and browser opens how to disable that? submitted by /u/Qiasm [link] [comments]...
  5. Cortana web search

Cortana web search: Is there any way I can change Cortana settings so when I search for something it brings up a new tab in Google Chrome, not Microsoft Edge with bing. My default search engine is Google Chrome but it still opens up a new tab in Microsoft Edge. submitted by /u/DATBOI___...
  6. Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu

Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu: Afternoon. I am struggling to find a way to disable the "type to search" feature on the windows 10 start menu. I have enabled various GPOs to prevent Cortana however the actual feature I want to stop is the ability for users to select start -> and type to search for local...
  7. How do I fix start menu search for web results?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I fix start menu search for web results?: Whenever I hit the start button, and type something in to search the web. I get this pop up "you'll need a new app to open this ms-appx-web". This started after the April Windows 10 update, how do I fix this so I can make web searches from just the start menu?...
  8. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Web searches, Start menu and Cortana: Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research? Thanks Bye 44451
  9. Prevent windows from search in files when searching in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Prevent windows from search in files when searching in the Start Menu: Hello. when i search from the start menu, all i want to find is applications (desktop apps, metro apps, shortcus to apps in the all-applications menu) and settings, not files and folders. (i already disabled the web search there). i still want to be able to search files...
  10. Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function: Sometimes Start menu and Search/Cortana buttons become frozen and only after hard boot they work. 19756