Windows 10: How do I prevent Desktop Icons from randomly re-arranging themselves on multiple displays?

Discus and support How do I prevent Desktop Icons from randomly re-arranging themselves on multiple displays? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been searching all over the internet for the correct answer to this question for at least a couple of hours now. None of the answers I found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ALKooL89, Jan 12, 2019.

1. ALKooL89 Win User

How do I prevent Desktop Icons from randomly re-arranging themselves on multiple displays?

I've been searching all over the internet for the correct answer to this question for at least a couple of hours now. None of the answers I found helped except for the following, which isn't really an answer:

1) Turn off Auto Arrange Icons

2) Make sure Align to Grid is checked

3) Arrange icons accordingly to your Main Display, and when you change which display you want to be your main display the icons will change position accordingly.

**EDIT: Just did some testing and you can turn on AUTO ARRANGE icons AFTER you snap your icons all to one display (your main display) and they will be "Auto" Arranged! Eureka!**

The issue is the following:

I have Auto Arrange Icons selected, Arrange by "Item Type", Align to Grid, Medium Icons, etcetera, however for some reason 8 out of my 30 random icons show up on my main display (none of them is the recycle bin icon), the rest (including the recycle bin) show up on my left-most display.

All of my icons are shortcuts to applications located throughout my computer/hard disks. The only system icon is the recycle bin.

But if you read earlier you'll see that I have actually solved the problem! It requires turning off "Auto Arrange", snapping the icons appropriately to the correct Primary Display, then you can turn Auto Arrange back on, arrange by whichever selection you want to arrange them by (I like Type), and voila it's fixed!

Solutions I tried that didn't work are:

Registry Entry(s)

sfc /scannow

DISM repair

Only allowing the taskbar to appear on Primary Display (and on all displays, etcetera. pretty much messed with all options for this).

Basically nothing seemed to work until I tried the above steps!

Good luck and have fun How do I prevent Desktop Icons from randomly re-arranging themselves on multiple displays? :)

PS: I have a 22" HP 1920x1080p 60Hz LCD Monitor on my left, a 24" ASUS 1920x1080p 60Hz LCD Monitor in the middle, and a 55" Sony 1920x1080i 60Hz LCD TV on my right (well it sits at a 90 degree angle from me about 12 feet away, but technically it's on my "right"). Not that this really matters, but I just thought I would describe my physical situation.

:)

ALKooL89, Jan 12, 2019

2. desktop icon arrangement

Hello,

Kindly further elaborate your concern, to assist you better.

In the meantime, you may follow the step below to see if this would address your concern:

• Right-click on your desktop > Click View.

Note: If you want to manually arrange your desktop icons uncheck Auto arrange icons
    then drag your icons depending on where you want to place them on your desktop. If you want your icons to be aligned to the grid, check
    Align icons to grid.

Let us know what happens after.

Regile Reb, Jan 12, 2019
  3. auto arrange icon desktop , why ?

Hi,

I would suggest you to try the steps and check if it helps.

a) Right click on Desktop.

b) Click on View.

c) Uncheck both "Arrange icons to grid" and "Auto arrange icons".

d) Restart the computer and check if it helps.

Anannya Podder, Jan 12, 2019
  4. How do I prevent Desktop Icons from randomly re-arranging themselves on multiple displays?

Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

How do I prevent Desktop Icons from randomly re-arranging themselves on multiple displays?

1. How do I prevent Desktop Icons from randomly re-arranging themselves on multiple displays? - Similar Threads - prevent Desktop Icons

2. New saved files to desktop re-arranges the icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New saved files to desktop re-arranges the icons: Everytime I save a new file to the desktop, the icon for the file places itself in the top left spot and re-arranges the existing order. -I have unchecked the "Auto arrange icons" options. -The "Allow themes to change dektop icons" boc is also unchecked. -All the Display...
  3. How do you prevent Windows from "forgetting" your Desktop arrangement?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you prevent Windows from "forgetting" your Desktop arrangement?: Whenever I wake my PC from sleep, I get an error telling me that my desktop folder is inaccessible. Everything is missing but the Recycle bin. Then after a short while, my files will reappear probably my HDDs are still warming up and are not yet ready when requested by the...
  4. Desktop icons keep re-arranging

Desktop icons keep re-arranging: Why do my desktop icons get rearranged each time a start up or even when I click on one of the icons and then come back to the desktop? This is very annoying. [Original Title: Desktop icons]...
  5. Desktop Icons Arrangement for different Displays

Desktop Icons Arrangement for different Displays: Hello Community, I am using following setup: Surface Pro 5th Gen Intel Core i7 @ 2.5 GHz 16 GB Ram 64-Bit 512 GB Storage Windows 10 Pro Workspace 1 home office: Connected to 2nd Display via Surface Dock 2 only show on Display 2 Workspace 2 school office: Connected...
  6. Icons strangely arranging themselves?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons strangely arranging themselves?: i dunno if its because of the latest update(s), but in the past 2 days it seemed at first as if they randomly rearranging across my desktop, but after it happened again and again i noticed the icons keep going back to where they were, every single time. auto rearrange is off,...
  7. Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement: Using the display settings menu to disconnect a display when it is not in use and then extend the desktop to the display again results in the arrangement of the displays being changed. I then have to drag them back into position each time in what is already an arduous process...
  8. Notification Area (System Tray) Icons Re-Arranging Themselves

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification Area (System Tray) Icons Re-Arranging Themselves: Hello, sometimes when I Shut Down & start up, or Restart, the computer, my Notification Area (System Tray) icons tend to re-arrange themselves slightly. I have to manage to re-arrange them the way to maximize my productivity for the computer. Is there some sort of temporary...
  9. Desktop icons keep re-aranging themselves. How to stop it?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons keep re-aranging themselves. How to stop it?: For some reason, every time I change users, the desktop icons re-arrange themselves. I Switch Users often. This hasn't happened in 20 years, but Win10 has decided to do this. Can anyone please let me know how to stop this I cannot find any way to do this....
  10. Desktop Icons Re-arrange Themselves

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Re-arrange Themselves: I'm resurrecting this because I've finally been able to narrow down what's happening when desktop icons re-arrange themselves even though auto-arrange icons is turned off. I've been paying more attention to what has been done when this occurs and I can now cause this issue to...