Windows 10: How do I prevent Firefox from opening multiple processes in Windows 10?

Discus and support How do I prevent Firefox from opening multiple processes in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; About half the time when I use Firefox, it opens multiple processes. These don’t show up on Task Manager; I find out only when trying to open Firefox... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HG909, Oct 27, 2019.

1. HG909 Win User

How do I prevent Firefox from opening multiple processes in Windows 10?

About half the time when I use Firefox, it opens multiple processes. These don’t show up on Task Manager; I find out only when trying to open Firefox again, having thought it was shut down.

Following posts on the Microsoft boards, I’ve set browser.tabs.remote.autostart to false; it makes no difference.

Suggestions? Thanks!

:)

HG909, Oct 27, 2019
  2. Tommygunn Win User

Unable to open multiple Firefox windows after first successful opening!

Thanks for the replies but I think it is more serious than what you have all given me answers for.
    When I turn the computer on and either click the Firefox icon on my desktop of one of my Rocketdock icons it will open up a page. However, if I proceed to do the same again, desktop or Rocketdock, nothing will happen except briefly flash the hourglass next to the cursor.

An update to this is, if I then close the one and only window I have been able to open I cannot open anymore Firefox windows and I just get the brief blink of the hourglass.

As mentioned in my first post there is no problem opening multiple tabs in the first and only Firefox window.

Tommygunn, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Tommygunn Win User
    Unable to open multiple Firefox windows after first successful opening!

I turned my computer on this morning, as per normal and without having any previous trouble, and I cannot use Firefox to open a window more than once, be that from my desktop or Rocketdock.

For example if I have used Rocketdock to open Yahoo, which is setup to use Firefox by default, it will work. However, if I then attempt to use any other Firefox assigned icon or the icon on my desktop all I get is a brief flash of the hourglass and then nothing.
    I do not, however, have any problems opening up multiple tabs in that one open Firefox window.

I have run Registry Booster, CCleaner etc and I have also re-installed Firefox but without any luck.

Any ideas?
    Cheers.

Tommygunn, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I prevent Firefox from opening multiple processes in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - prevent Firefox opening

2. How do I prevent new instances from opening?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent new instances from opening?: Hello, here is the issue:Suddenly, Windows opens a new instance of any browser when a link is clicked or when the browser icon on the taskbar is clicked. This has no relation to the internal browser settings which are set at "open link in new tab". This happens with all...
  3. How do I prevent new instances from opening?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I prevent new instances from opening?: Hello, here is the issue:Suddenly, Windows opens a new instance of any browser when a link is clicked or when the browser icon on the taskbar is clicked. This has no relation to the internal browser settings which are set at "open link in new tab". This happens with all...
  4. Firefox prevents the taskbar from opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Firefox prevents the taskbar from opening: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/be_luga [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lr3qfx/firefox_prevents_the_taskbar_from_opening/
  5. Firefox Preventing Windows 10 From Automatically Sleeping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Firefox Preventing Windows 10 From Automatically Sleeping: I have done extensive testing and have found that if you leave Firefox open, Windows 10 refuses to automatically sleep. I can manually put it to sleep, but it won't automatically sleep. Apart from closing down Firefox all the time, has anyone found a fix for this? submitted...
  6. How do i find the process that is preventing me from formatting a HDD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i find the process that is preventing me from formatting a HDD?: I have transferred all my data onto a brand new SSD . I now want to format the old drive but keep seeing the following error message: 'This drive is in use. Another program or process is using this drive. Do you want to format it anyway?' I have closed my AV, malware...
  7. How to prevent Cortona processes from running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to prevent Cortona processes from running: I have Windows 10, and have disabled its processes before so they don't run. I can kill them in task manager, but want to prevent them from running entirely yet again. MS re-enables Cortana on every update, and has made it harder to disable in its entirety. I do not want...
  8. Why your Firefox is not using multiple processes

in Browsers and Email
    Why your Firefox is not using multiple processes: With the arrival of Firefox 54 last week, finally the drawn out process of releasing its multiprocess Electrolysis was finished. In its latest release, Firefox will use up to four processes, with the benefits to users being better memory usage and performance. But...
  9. How do I prevent multiple .exes (eg notepad) from running?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I prevent multiple .exes (eg notepad) from running?: I sometimes accidentally run two copies of notepad. Sometimes, I don't spot them both in my taskbar. I wondered if there was a way to alert me that I'm attempting to run the same .exe, if I already have it open? For example, on my desktop I have a notepad file. I'll run...
  10. How do I open multiple windows

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I open multiple windows: Hi Sometimes I like to have two web pages open at the same time. With windows 8 all I had to do was right click on the IE icon and the option to open another window was there, but that option isn't there in Windows 10. Any help much appreciated 18748

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 multiple fire fox windows opening

2. How do I prevent Firefox from opening multiple instances in Windows 10?