Windows 10: How do I prevent one drive from deleting the files on my pc?

Discus and support How do I prevent one drive from deleting the files on my pc? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My one drive has become too full, when I try to manage the folders that are synced to one drive the program informs me that the files will remain on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nick1521, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Nick1521 Win User

How do I prevent one drive from deleting the files on my pc?

My one drive has become too full, when I try to manage the folders that are synced to one drive the program informs me that the files will remain on one drive and be deleted from my pc. I want the opposite to happen. How do I protect the files on my pc?

:)

Nick1521, Mar 30, 2021
  2. Alden Rey Win User

deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Mar 30, 2021
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Deleting DVD Drive (FHow do I prevent one drive from deleting the files on my pc? :) files

Hi,

Your file might be currently utilized by an application on your PC, preventing it from being used. You can delete the file by closing the application that is currently using your file. To do so, follow these steps:

• Search and open the Task Manager.
    • On the Processes tab, search for the application which currently uses your file.
    • Select the application and click End task.
    • You can now delete the file.

Let us know how things go.

Regards.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Allan Mej, Mar 30, 2021
  4. How do I prevent one drive from deleting the files on my pc?

How to prevent deletion of files in directory?

Using Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.804)

I followed these steps but without success:
    1. At the root of a non-system drive create a folder "folder".
    2. Inside create a file "file.txt".
    3. For folder add permission rule: everyone / deny / delete subfolders and files:

How do I prevent one drive from deleting the files on my pc? [​IMG]

4. Pressing OK brings this warning:

5. For "file.txt" check effective access for current user -- it can delete:

Same happens if, just like with everyone, denial rules in "folder" security are further added for authenticated users and system.
    Moreover, if the file owner is changed (to another user, happens to be admin) the current user (not admin) can delete the file. And this is of course reflected in effective access. Finally, trying the most restrictive measure -- adding the denial rule for the current user, regardless of the file owner, current user can still delete the file.
    What am I missing? Does the system need restart?
    What are the conditions for the contents of a folder to be protected from deletion and with respect to which accounts? Which accounts can / cannot delete in which circumstances?

AndreiMarian, Mar 30, 2021
Thema:

How do I prevent one drive from deleting the files on my pc?

1. How do I prevent one drive from deleting the files on my pc? - Similar Threads - prevent drive deleting

2. One drive preventing me from deleting some folders and files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One drive preventing me from deleting some folders and files.: I recently logged into Onedrive for the first time. It spent forever uploading everything to the cloud. Since then, I have difficulty deleting most folders. Sometimes I can go into the folder and delete everything and then the folder but sometimes that doesn't work. It...
  3. One drive preventing me from deleting some folders and files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive preventing me from deleting some folders and files.: I recently logged into Onedrive for the first time. It spent forever uploading everything to the cloud. Since then, I have difficulty deleting most folders. Sometimes I can go into the folder and delete everything and then the folder but sometimes that doesn't work. It...
  4. One drive preventing me from deleting some folders and files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to delete files from PC but keep them on One Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete files from PC but keep them on One Drive: Replacing my old tablet that has Windows 10. I used One Drive on it a lot for files and data. New PC with Windows 11 has downloaded all the One Drive Data. I want to delete the files from the old PC and give it to a family member. May or may not do a complete delete back to a...
  6. How to delete files from PC but keep them on One Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete files from PC but keep them on One Drive: Replacing my old tablet that has Windows 10. I used One Drive on it a lot for files and data. New PC with Windows 11 has downloaded all the One Drive Data. I want to delete the files from the old PC and give it to a family member. May or may not do a complete delete back to a...
  7. How to delete files from PC but keep them on One Drive

8. If I delete files from one drive and or my windows 10 pc even from one drive and or do a...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    If I delete files from one drive and or my windows 10 pc even from one drive and or do a...: If I delete files from one drive and or my windows 10 pc even from one drive and or do a full system restore is it totally deleted from one drive windows pc and everywhere on Earth !?!...
  9. How to restore files deleted from One Drive

How to restore files deleted from One Drive: I deleted some files from One Drive by mistake. I desperately need to get them back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-files-deleted-from-one-drive/103a3703-2f59-4ce5-8b99-8ab1bd8f4f19
  10. I want to delete One Drive from my PC

I want to delete One Drive from my PC: Reason being i have identical my photos on my hard drive. How do i eliminate photos off One Drive and not delete duplicates off of external hard drive. Please advise...