Windows 10: How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?

Discus and support How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have some programs like Armory Crate, Nvidia, Office, Phone, and other programs that restart themselves in the background after I END TASK in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ShCa, Jan 24, 2023.

1. ShCa Win User

How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?

I have some programs like Armory Crate, Nvidia, Office, Phone, and other programs that restart themselves in the background after I END TASK in the Task Manager. My CPU is being worked up to 40% in use because of programs restarting themselves. I was able to find in regedit one of the programs' restart function and deleted it, but for some reason the program restarts anyways.I have zero startup apps enabled. Background apps settings are ALL unticked, so this is not the issue. I need something more in depth like a Regedit or console kind of solution. How do I permanently stop programs from rest

:)

2. Unable to reopen programs from the task bar

Hi Rob,

For us to narrow down your concern with reopening your programs from the task bar, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jan 24, 2023
  3. GPU not idling when program running in background

Whenever there is a program running in background like utorrent, the clock is stuck at 993mhz and the memory at 1500mhz..when I turn it off, the clocks are back to normal...need a fix ..drivers are the latest whql (not 337.5)..clock is measured from zotac firestorm..(use it for fan curve also..works flawlessly)..any suggestions will be appreciated..

ELiTRiGG3R, Jan 24, 2023
  4. Davidk03 Win User

Program running a background process?

I'm running Corel Video Studio 2018, and it's updates function shows characteristics of a background process:

- the program has an auto check daily plus a manual option for updates

- manually checked, presented with an option of downloading an update and Ok'd, evidence of any activity vanishes from the program workspace, yet the connected internet modem activity light begins running hot as the download happens

- it's repeatable over several up-date cycles

The evidence seems to suggest a background activity - whilst the program/PC is free to use for other things. Several software packages do this.

However, a check in task manager/processes, show all, does not display any info of a related background process for any Corel or Video Studio program. If a background process is being used by the software, MUST it be listed in the task manager/processes
    list?

Platform is windows 7 home sp1 64bit plus the important patches.

Davidk03, Jan 24, 2023
Thema:

1. How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background? - Similar Threads - prevent programs reopening

2. how do I prevent programs from opening automatically when Windows start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I prevent programs from opening automatically when Windows start: I have 5 five programs that start automaticaly when I open Windos which makes my computer very slow. What can I do to stop them?Thank you beforehand,Anna...
  3. Do recent updates prevent reopening closed tabs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do recent updates prevent reopening closed tabs?: I am using Windows 10, I'm quite happy with it and see no reason to change. However, a glitch has developed in that, it seems every time Google updates something not sure why, I haven't asked them to update anything, it closes all of my open tabs. This has, traditionally, not...
  4. Do recent updates prevent reopening closed tabs?

Do recent updates prevent reopening closed tabs?: I am using Windows 10, I'm quite happy with it and see no reason to change. However, a glitch has developed in that, it seems every time Google updates something not sure why, I haven't asked them to update anything, it closes all of my open tabs. This has, traditionally, not...
  5. Do recent updates prevent reopening closed tabs?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?: I have some programs like Armory Crate, Nvidia, Office, Phone, and other programs that restart themselves in the background after I END TASK in the Task Manager. My CPU is being worked up to 40% in use because of programs restarting themselves. I was able to find in regedit...
  7. How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?

How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?: I have some programs like Armory Crate, Nvidia, Office, Phone, and other programs that restart themselves in the background after I END TASK in the Task Manager. My CPU is being worked up to 40% in use because of programs restarting themselves. I was able to find in regedit...
  8. How can I prevent Phone Link from running in the background?

How can I prevent Phone Link from running in the background?: When I installed the app on my phone a Pixel 6a I chose not to have the app run in the background. However, the app does run constantly in the background and automatically connects to my PC. I do not want the app to run unless I launch it and I do not want the app to connect...
  9. How do I prevent programs from running at startup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I prevent programs from running at startup?: It seems some programs just want to start up no matter what. I have disabled them in Task Manager startup manager, deleted them from the startup folder ("shell:startup"), and deleted all of their task scheduler tasks, and they still start up. There are many programs like...
  10. Prevent program from maximizgin window when I drag it to the bottom: how do I do this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Prevent program from maximizgin window when I drag it to the bottom: how do I do this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/computerstuffs [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e8dqsa/prevent_program_from_maximizgin_window_when_i/