Windows 10: How do I prevent programs from running at startup?

Discus and support How do I prevent programs from running at startup? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; It seems some programs just want to start up no matter what. I have disabled them in Task Manager startup manager, deleted them from the startup folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/aaronth07, Apr 16, 2020.

1. How do I prevent programs from running at startup?

It seems some programs just want to start up no matter what. I have disabled them in Task Manager startup manager, deleted them from the startup folder ("shell:startup"), and deleted all of their task scheduler tasks, and they still start up. There are many programs like this, and oftentimes even their startup settings inside of the program itself won't work (or conveniently resets the setting back to on after a day).

My question: how can I prevent a program from starting up if I have already tried what I said above, without going through their own settings? Is there another common startup mechanism that programs use other than Windows startup list, the startup folder, or Task Scheduler?

submitted by /u/aaronth07
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/aaronth07, Apr 16, 2020

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Apr 16, 2020
  3. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Apr 16, 2020
  4. axe0 Win User

How do I prevent programs from running at startup?

What's your ideology on when to start startup programs? Best Method?

My ideology, everything I don't need/want to startup right away is removed from the list and started manually.
    Takes less time and prevents the trouble you have.

If you have so many trouble with starting 15 programs at boot, I would suggest that you remove some of the programs and start them manually.

Thema:

How do I prevent programs from running at startup?

1. How do I prevent programs from running at startup? - Similar Threads - prevent programs running

2. How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?: I have some programs like Armory Crate, Nvidia, Office, Phone, and other programs that restart themselves in the background after I END TASK in the Task Manager. My CPU is being worked up to 40% in use because of programs restarting themselves. I was able to find in regedit...
  3. How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?: I have some programs like Armory Crate, Nvidia, Office, Phone, and other programs that restart themselves in the background after I END TASK in the Task Manager. My CPU is being worked up to 40% in use because of programs restarting themselves. I was able to find in regedit...
  4. How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Could Defender be preventing a program from running ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Could Defender be preventing a program from running ?: The program SETDEFAULTBROWSER.EXE that I think is meant to open a Command Prompt window, when run, merely gives a brief flash so I get no opportunity to interact with it. Is that a likely/typical effect of defender objecting ? and if so, what are the steps to whitelist it...
  6. How do I stop a program from loading on startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I stop a program from loading on startup: I recently signed up for Webex fot do a video talk with my doctor. Now every time I bootup in the morning, Webex appears on my toolbar. In their "settings" I click on and nothing appears. How do get it out of the auto Start up mode? I had in Regedit a favorites list the...
  7. How do I find this program that's running on startup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I find this program that's running on startup?: I found this on startup, but I don't remember installing it. https://i.imgur.com/D353XMO.png I'd like to uninstall it, but it doesn't show up on programs and I can't find its location. I could disable it on startup, but I want to know where it is so I can uninstall....
  8. How to stop Edge from running as the startup program?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop Edge from running as the startup program?: How to stop Edge from running as the startup program or delete it permanently? Kind regards, Nenad 142152
  9. How do I prevent Microsoft Teams from interrupting startup?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How do I prevent Microsoft Teams from interrupting startup?: Every time I open my computer I am blocked from doing anything because of an ad for Microsoft Teams. I have no use for this, and though I can close the window each time, I'd rather just say "No thanks - forever" and be done with it. How do I opt out of "offers" for stuff I...
  10. How Do I Remove A Program From The Startup Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Remove A Program From The Startup Menu: Hello Everybody, Today I have a very simple little issue that I just know somebody will be able to solve in a snap. A couple of weeks ago I did something very stupid, I downloaded and installed some software from the internet without really paying attention to what I was...