Windows 10: How do I prevent Win 10 from changing a MBR disk to GPT

Discus and support How do I prevent Win 10 from changing a MBR disk to GPT in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a couple of external USB MBR hard drives I use for making backups of my various PC's. They include PC's with Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JustJoCo, Aug 14, 2022.

1. JustJoCo Win User

How do I prevent Win 10 from changing a MBR disk to GPT

I have a couple of external USB MBR hard drives I use for making backups of my various PC's. They include PC's with Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 10 using legacy bios boot MBR and Win 10 with UEFI boot GPT. It seems when I plug the drives into the UEFI PC it goes ahead and changes the drive to GPT. This screws the drive up for use on my other PC's. Is there any way to stop the UEFI PC from doing this?

:)

JustJoCo, Aug 14, 2022

2. changing a disk drive from mbr to gpt

If you have Windows 10 loaded on an MBR disk drive can that drive be changed to a GPT disk drive?

BoSpurrier, Aug 14, 2022
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

This is an unexpected behavior, after you convert the disk from MBR to GPT, it shouldn’t convert back automatically, however you can try to convert the disk back to GPT format if you are on Windows 10 version 1703 or later using the inbuilt utility
    MBR2GPT.EXE.

• Click on Start menu (Windows logo), type
      CMD.
    • Right click on Command prompt and select
      Run as administrator.
    • Type MBR2GPT /validate /AllowFullOS
    • Once the validation is successful, execute the following command and check the results.
    • Type MBR2GPT /Convert /AllowFullOS
    • Once the conversion is successful, you must boot the computer into BIOS and change the BIOS mode to
      UEFI.

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly.
    Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

For more information about MBR2GPT utility, please refer to the article:
    Convert MBR disk into GPT using MBR2GPT.EXE

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Aug 14, 2022
  4. How do I prevent Win 10 from changing a MBR disk to GPT

clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Aug 14, 2022
Thema:

How do I prevent Win 10 from changing a MBR disk to GPT

1. How do I prevent Win 10 from changing a MBR disk to GPT - Similar Threads - prevent changing MBR

2. How do I prevent Win 10 from changing a MBR disk to GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I prevent Win 10 from changing a MBR disk to GPT: I have a couple of external USB MBR hard drives I use for making backups of my various PC's. They include PC's with Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 10 using legacy bios boot MBR and Win 10 with UEFI boot GPT. It seems when I plug the drives into the UEFI PC it goes ahead and...
  3. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  4. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  5. Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks: I'm trying to convert my MBR partition (which is on an HDD) to a GPT-based boot record, but my OS install is on an SSD (i.e. a different drive than the MBR). I'm not exactly sure how this happened when I was installing Windows; I think the HDD was set as disk 0 while the SSD...
  6. changing a disk drive from mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    changing a disk drive from mbr to gpt: If you have Windows 10 loaded on an MBR disk drive can that drive be changed to a GPT disk drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-disk-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt/f52734b1-dc31-4705-9cdb-982cc13c9662
  7. How can I change from MBR to GPT and vice versa from GPT to MBR in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I change from MBR to GPT and vice versa from GPT to MBR in Windows 10 Home: Hello, Please be nice to tell me to install Windows 10 Home how should the partition be ?. MBR or GPT ?. How can I change the MBR partition in GPT and vice versa from GPT to MBR. Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  8. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  9. convert MBR to GPT disk

convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...
  10. Convert 1.5TB disk from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert 1.5TB disk from MBR to GPT: I want to convert a 1.5TB MBR disk to a GPT disk. My other two disks are GPT so I'd like them all to be. No special reason, just because. When I tried mbr2gpt /validate /disk:2 I get ERROR: MBR2GPT can only be used from the Windows Preinstallation Environment. Use...