Windows 10: How do I prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates an restarting?

Discus and support How do I prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates an restarting? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates and restarting. If I am out of the office for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LK-985, Sep 4, 2018.

1. LK-985 Win User

How do I prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates an restarting?

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates and restarting. If I am out of the office for a few days and out of town, I need my work computer to stay on so I can access it via Gotomypc. When Windows 10 automatically runs updates and restarts, it prevents me from being able to access my work computer remotely.

:)

LK-985, Sep 4, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 installing progs

Fresh installs do it too, in fact i have had the same bs happen. Might be suggested apps which you can turn off.

AsRock, Sep 6, 2018
  3. bigscale Win User
    windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, Sep 6, 2018
  4. DaveM222 Win User

How do I prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates an restarting?

Preventing automatic Windows 10 Updates and Automatic Restarts

How do I change Windows 10 Update settings to ensure updates are installed and restarts occur when I choose versus automatically? I have lost critical information several times because Windows 10 is automatically installing updates and automatically restarting
    my PC. I have reviewed Windows Update Settings and am aware I can change "working hours" to prevent a restart during normal working time: however, you can only prevent automatic restarts during a maximum 12 hour window.

DaveM222, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates an restarting? - Similar Threads - prevent automatically installing

2. How do I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing AMD Graphics Drivers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing AMD Graphics Drivers?: Windows 11 Home - Windows Update automatically installs drivers for AMD Graphics cards. These drivers are worse than the AMD drivers and they continually cause my system to freeze. How do I prevent this? I already said "No" in device installation settings. I don't have access...
  3. How do I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing AMD Graphics Drivers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing AMD Graphics Drivers?: Windows 11 Home - Windows Update automatically installs drivers for AMD Graphics cards. These drivers are worse than the AMD drivers and they continually cause my system to freeze. How do I prevent this? I already said "No" in device installation settings. I don't have access...
  4. Prevent Windows 10 Professional from restarting automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Windows 10 Professional from restarting automatically: Can anyone verify if this works:Open gpedit.msc configure TWO things:1 "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" - Enabled - Why? Because it says "Note: This policy applies only when Automatic Updates is configured to perform...
  5. Prevent Windows 10 Professional from restarting automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent Windows 10 Professional from restarting automatically: Can anyone verify if this works:Open gpedit.msc configure TWO things:1 "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" - Enabled - Why? Because it says "Note: This policy applies only when Automatic Updates is configured to perform...
  6. Prevent Windows 10 Professional from restarting automatically

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to prevent update previews from installing automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent update previews from installing automatically: I am starting a new thread for this question since no one helped me on my prior thread. Each time there is a optional update preview for .NET framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 20H2 it automatically installs without even notifying me that it is pending. There must...
  8. How do I prevent Windows 10 automatic updates from destroying the OS?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I prevent Windows 10 automatic updates from destroying the OS?: Hello, I have a relatively new laptop less than 3 years old that was running Windows 10 earlier today that is now stuck in a boot loop after I reset it. Literally all I did was reset the computer removing all files and install the updates that I'm forced to install I also...
  9. How do I prevent Skype from automatically loading in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I prevent Skype from automatically loading in Windows 10: Hi - How do I prevent Windows 10 Pro 1803 from loading Skype at startup? It's consuming resources on several of my PCs that I'll never use for teleconferencing and I want to recover those resources. Thanks in advance....
  10. How to Prevent automatic restart in Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to Prevent automatic restart in Windows 10 Anniversary Update?: Now that microsoft has removed the ability to force windows 10 to ask to be scheduled and given that "active hours" is a broken concept that doesn't solve any problem, how can I prevent windows from automatically restarting again? Is the only option to turn off windows update...