Windows 10: How do I re-create (restore) a task in Task Scheduler?

Discus and support How do I re-create (restore) a task in Task Scheduler? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Once Windows 10 got itself updated to the Anniversary edition, I noticed there was some problem with the Family Safety feature - namely, whenever my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by usikpa, Oct 30, 2016.

1. usikpa Win User

How do I re-create (restore) a task in Task Scheduler?

Once Windows 10 got itself updated to the Anniversary edition, I noticed there was some problem with the Family Safety feature - namely, whenever my kids asked me for a remote extension of the time limit, and I granted it, it simply wouldn't push through to the PC. So, an over-the-shoulder extension option ("my parents are here") was the only one that worked.

As I tried to remedy this dysfunction, I deleted the Family Safety settings files in the Program Data folder and wanted to re-run the Family Safety Refresh and Upload tasks in the Task Scheduler so that a fresh set of appropriate time limits and permission settings would get itself downloaded on the PC.

By accident, unfortunately, I ended up actually deleting these tasks *Redface and now am wondering if there is a way to re-create (or restore) them.

Now, there is a folder on my PC C:\windows\system32\Tasks.migrated that has all the tasks as they were before migration to the Anniversary update (I presume that by the date), all the files in there seem to be in xml format although do not have that extension. Unfortunately, I can't import any task from that folder as every time I attempt to do that a message appears that says the task scheduler service is not available at the moment.

Any suggestions how I can re-create or import these two tasks (Refresh and Upload)? Have they been changed somehow by the latest update of Windows 10?

Thanks in advance

PS.
    OK, it turns out the Anniversary update did change this task so that a different dll type of library is executed
    I understand that it is WpcRefreshTask.dll now instead of WpcWebSync.dll

Could anyone kindly share this xml file, please (located C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Shell), either by exporting from under the Task Scheduler or simply copying and pasting the contents?

:)

usikpa, Oct 30, 2016
  2. aarogree Win User

How to schedule an automatic restore point

My Windows 10 doesn't create restore points using the task scheduler like it is supposed to. I'm also not seeing anything under tasks for system restore (that might be the cause of the problem).

Can someone tell me how to create a task to create restore points in the task scheduler?

aarogree, Oct 30, 2016
  3. XikZ Win User
    Task Scheduler "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed" Always True?

I will try deleting the task and re-creating it.

In regards to what ErwinJames San may have wanted me to do, all I know is that I was told to delete the task. There were no instructions for re-creating the task, so it is a bit presumptuous to assume that is what I was being instructed to do.

4. usikpa Win User

Anyone? Just copy and paste the contents of FamilySafetyRefresh file here C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

usikpa, Oct 31, 2016
  5. Here you go. One is the content of the folder, other XML exports.

TairikuOkami, Oct 31, 2016
  6. usikpa Win User
    Thank you very much for your help and files.

For some reason I was unable to import these xml files into the Task Scheduler (perhaps, a different language operating system or some other inconsistency within the body of all tasks kept the Task Scheduler service 'unavailable at this time'). So I hesitated for a bit but found no better option than re-installing the Anniversary Update (took more than an hour because of all new system updates). All fixed now, and, somehow I am inclined to think it is actually a better way to fix the broken system.
    Regardless, thank you very much for taking your time to respond.

usikpa, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I re-create (restore) a task in Task Scheduler? - Similar Threads - create restore task

2. How to backup and restore task scheduler?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to backup and restore task scheduler?: I would like to know on how to backup and restore task scheduler in case of handling corrupted fileDoes anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  3. How to backup and restore task scheduler?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to backup and restore task scheduler?: I would like to know on how to backup and restore task scheduler in case of handling corrupted fileDoes anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  4. Don't see Restore Points created by Scheduled Task

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Don't see Restore Points created by Scheduled Task: Restore Points that I manuallyinitiate show up okay in the list under System Restore. Restore Points initiated through System Restore by Task Scheduler do notshow up, although the Task Scheduler indicates that the task completed successfully. Task Scheduler history is...
  5. Creating a scheduled task for restore points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a scheduled task for restore points: I've read and watched videos on how to create a monthly or three monthly Restore Point but cannot get past the following "you must enter a task name and at least one action" ... the videos that I've watched do not mention this. Can anyone point out to me how to do this?...
  6. Unable to create a task in Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to create a task in Task Scheduler: I am unable to create a task in Task Scheduler. A few day ago I Reset Win 10. I find that a task (Create System Restore Point) is not working. I deleted it and tried to create a new task. It let me fill all 'the blanks' until I get to the end when a box appears and asks me to...
  7. Unable to create a task in Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to create a task in Task Scheduler: I am unable to create a task in Task Scheduler. A few day ago I Reset Win 10. I find that a task (Create System Restore Point) is not working. I deleted it and tried to create a new task. It let me fill all 'the blanks' until I get to the end when a box appears and asks me to...
  8. Create a scheduled task with PowerShell

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create a scheduled task with PowerShell: Hello Microsoft team, I would like to create a scheduled task to restart PC on a daily basis. This would be run on a multiple devices running Windows 10. I think it's pretty handy to have it as a script via PowerShell ISE so I don't have to always create a tasks in all...
  9. Create task in task scheduler

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create task in task scheduler: Dear all, I need your assistant to run the following two tasks: - Shutdown the PC - Reboot the PC Is there a difference if the PC joined to the domain or not? Thank you in advacne...
  10. Can't create task in Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't create task in Task Scheduler: Whenever I try to create a task in Task Scheduler, an error pops up. [img] I press OK, and this pops up: [img] Here is the transcript: "Unhandled Exception in Managed Code Snap-in FX:{c7b8fb06-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4} The system cannot find the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to re-create tasks in task sheduler