Windows 10: How do I re-enable Cortana?

Discus and support How do I re-enable Cortana? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have disabled and renamed the folder of cortana, knowing not what I was doing and now I can't use the search function. I really need this for what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Computer Chicken, Jan 10, 2017.

1. How do I re-enable Cortana?

I have disabled and renamed the folder of cortana, knowing not what I was doing and now I can't use the search function. I really need this for what I do. I thought I could close Cortana without getting rid of the search function, but I guess it did. *cry

Now, I don't know if I can ask to be able to download it from someone else, so I won't ask. I just REALLY need to know how to get this back! I have tried going back to a System Restore, but said it was corrupt or something so I was really disappointed and just angry. *cry

Looking to get this folder back: "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5m1h2txyewy"

I need some help please getting the folder back or downloading it from somewhere. *Smile

Edit: Or is there a way I can search without Cortana? Or would I have to download Start10 or something like that? I just want something like the new start menu, but still be able to search.

:)

Computer Chicken, Jan 10, 2017
  2. edsa0601 Win User

How do I re-enable Cortana

Yes, I have done the download (twice) and at last

- under Country & Language I see UK

- under Languages, I see English (UK): will display language after next sign-in

- under Speech, I see English (UK)

So that's it I guess.

I've checked with Srinvasa's instructions

But I still have to get Cortana.

Perhaps at the next sign-in

PS: the Chat agent went over the top, I suppose, for suggesting re-installing?

Your advice was more logical & sufficient.

Anyway, I'll wait till the fussy Cortana is enabled (for the first time).

Meanwhile, thanks, Mr Caw, for getting me to this point.

edsa0601, Jan 10, 2017
  3. VivDenham Win User
    How do I re-enable Cortana

How strange! Like you, my 2 English versions, UK and US, are both greyed out on the enormous list, but that is because they are already on the list under the heading Languages, just below where it says + Add a Language.

On my version (which definitely is Windows Home BTW), the English UK says underneath it "Windows Display Language", whereas the English US states "Language Pack available".

At the top of the Region page, have you definitely got the country set to United Kingdom? Also, what about your time zone - have you definitely got it set to Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London?

Another option... how about giving the instructions that the Chat chappie sent you, onto here, and then perhaps we can help talk you through it? Just an idea...

Hope you get some joy.

Best wishes, Viv.

VivDenham, Jan 10, 2017
  4. How do I re-enable Cortana?

Computer Chicken, Jan 10, 2017
Thema:

How do I re-enable Cortana?

1. How do I re-enable Cortana? - Similar Threads - enable Cortana

2. GLAS Thermostat, Cortana enabled, but NO Windows APP?

in Cortana
    GLAS Thermostat, Cortana enabled, but NO Windows APP?: GLAS Thermostat, Cortana enabled, but NO Windows APP? Does anybody support windows anymore? Not even a web interface for this device. They are requiring me to buy an IOS or Android device when I already have a Windows Computer Why is there no support for Windows on a...
  3. Cortana the toggle button to enable Hey Cortana will not stay in the On position

in Cortana
    Cortana the toggle button to enable Hey Cortana will not stay in the On position: Cortana the toggle button to enable Hey Cortana will not stay in the On position https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-the-toggle-button-to-enable-hey-cortana/bd343f74-cb1f-4da3-b7bc-eafd6c7621c2"
  4. Can't enable "Hey Cortana"

in Cortana
    Can't enable "Hey Cortana": Hello, I want to enable "Hey Cortana". When I go to the setting and click 1. Check Microphone - It opens up the Cortana search window [IMG] 2. I try to turn on the Hey Cortana - toggle, it toggles back to off. 3. I tried to Troubleshoot the microphone and it didn't...
  5. Enabling Cortana

in Cortana
    Enabling Cortana: hi there, i disabled cortana when i installed my os and now i want to enable her. the cortana icon is still in the start menu and when i clink it it just takes me to the search bar i have looked around and followed some pre-existing guides with no luck i am running 10 pro...
  6. Cortana enabled webcams

in Cortana
    Cortana enabled webcams: What would be some inexpensive Cortana enabled webcams? My Logitech's HD 720 microphone is not, apparently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-enabled-webcams/c5b1fc7c-bd4e-4a6a-8538-dfdb78b9b5d9"
  7. Enable Hey Cortana via registry, powershell or cmd? Windows 10 v1703

in Cortana
    Enable Hey Cortana via registry, powershell or cmd? Windows 10 v1703: Is there a way to enable the "Hey Cortana" always listening voice activation option through a powershell command or registry command or even just on the command line? Trying to automate restoring Cortana through GPO after it had been disabled by GPO (corporate decisions). I...
  8. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?): I now find, to my great surprise, that I can't type in the Search field at bottom left. The cursor will go there but nothing will happen to it when I start typing. This is amazing. This computer. Endless problems. I have two computer each with win10 and each installed at...
  9. Xbox Now Connects with Cortana and Alexa Enabled Devices

in Windows 10 News
    Xbox Now Connects with Cortana and Alexa Enabled Devices: Here at Team Xbox, we’ve had a long history in offering voice controls as a way to interact with your Xbox console through Kinect and headsets. Today, starting with select Xbox U.S. Insiders, we’re expanding voice support by introducing the Xbox Skill, which enables you to...
  10. Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.: I disabled Cortana and Telemetry a couple weeks ago, but now I want to reverse my actions. Here's what I did initially: Code: In regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Search I created a new DWORD and named it AllowCortana, and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to re enable cortana

2. renamed folder cortana disabled how to renable